Is college football in danger of losing popularity

That's a good point, but I think you would even see it starting with peewee football going away. I know flag football has become more popular, but I have one kid who keeps missing baseball practice with concussions since flag doesn't wear helmets and they all lean in. :facepalm:
Yeah, better to armor them up. They're not fast enough to inflict enough damage, and its usually 11 kids chasing one with the ball at that level.

We had weight limits in Pop Warner, I think that helped protect kids more than anything else. The freak athletes at that age played up on Freshman or JV Ball anyway.

Yes, the talent pool is being depleted. And it will grow smaller, as less parents let their kids play the game due to health concerns.

As far as being elite, that relies on elite recruiting. Money , geography and branding are important. When Chip was at Oregon, with Phil Knight's money behind them, they built a really strong brand that gave them a national draw. Saban built up on Bama's traditions, and added to them. Clemson has turned its program into a national brand. Success feeds success until it doesn't, and the cycle is over. Saban's cycle seems longer than any we've seen in the recent past.

Agreed and the issue with Saban is people will beat him like LSU did last year but they won't continually beat him. It is like they come and go while Saban continues to keep his teams in the conversation.

Alabama also has a fairly good SEC School. They typically play a big-name OOC game, then get 2 OOC cupcakes before playing Arkansas (who has generally not been good), Ole Miss, and usually a weaker SEC East opponent. They then get Tennessee who has been terrible followed by LSU, Miss State, A&M, Cupcake OOC game, and Auburn.

Alabama doesn't play its tougher games until November when they have a more developed team and they really don't play a tough back-to-back series.

Compare that with Tennessee who usually does the following: Cupcake OOC game, Big Name OOC game, Cupcake OOC game, Florida, Georgia, SEC West opponent, Alabama, South Carolina, Cupcake OOC game, Missouri, Kentucky, Vandy.

Tennessee has played Florida, Georgia, and Alabama back-to-back-to-back some years. It is typically a front-loaded and challenging schedule.

Auburn and LSU also, typically, have tougher games on their schedule than Alabama. Georgia typically gets a tricky week 2 matchup with South Carolina.

Overall, Alabama generally has a more favorable schedule compared to most SEC schools the way it lines up. (Granted if Tennessee was good, this schedule would not look as easy. So we are partly to blame for Alabama's soft schedules).

Agreed and the issue with Saban is people will beat him like LSU did last year but they won't continually beat him. It is like they come and go while Saban continues to keep his teams in the conversation.

Alabama also has a fairly good SEC School. They typically play a big-name OOC game, then get 2 OOC cupcakes before playing Arkansas (who has generally not been good), Ole Miss, and usually a weaker SEC East opponent. They then get Tennessee who has been terrible followed by LSU, Miss State, A&M, Cupcake OOC game, and Auburn.

Alabama doesn't play its tougher games until November when they have a more developed team and they really don't play a tough back-to-back series.

Compare that with Tennessee who usually does the following: Cupcake OOC game, Big Name OOC game, Cupcake OOC game, Florida, Georgia, SEC West opponent, Alabama, South Carolina, Cupcake OOC game, Missouri, Kentucky, Vandy.

Tennessee has played Florida, Georgia, and Alabama back-to-back-to-back some years. It is typically a front-loaded and challenging schedule.

Auburn and LSU also, typically, have tougher games on their schedule than Alabama. Georgia typically gets a tricky week 2 matchup with South Carolina.

Overall, Alabama generally has a more favorable schedule compared to most SEC schools the way it lines up. (Granted if Tennessee was good, this schedule would not look as easy. So we are partly to blame for Alabama's soft schedules).
I get your point, but when you are a top 3 team in the country your schedule always looks easier.

I get your point, but when you are a top 3 team in the country your schedule always looks easier.

True. In some ways, Alabama plays better when they have the harder schedule. The wild cards seem to be their OOC matchup, Texas A&M (moves from October to November and back) and whoever they draw from the SEC East.
Last year, Alabama had a patty cake schedule and I think it hurt them in big games. I didn't understand why they scheduled Duke. Saban really should schedule one major OOC game and one minor Power 5 game a year. No reason not to have at least 2 competitive OOC games on Alabama's schedule.

The best teams have the most to offer. Certain teams don't care if a 6'8" 345 lb OT knows the difference between a 'B' and an 'R'. If he can can protect the QB's blind side, bring his ass in. Find his father and mother a job down here and find them a house that some booster will rent for $25 a month. He'll be a communications major and will have 12 credits when his class graduates and will be 70/30 bet to get drafted into the NFL.

Eventually some Senator's nephew or Grandson is going to get overlooked and is going to bring political hell down on the NCAA. They screw them with a dick so big that the NCAA will never be able to hold its mud again. That will be the end of kids that never attended high school getting a full ride scholarship without a valid transcript. It will put an end to one and done basketball players too. You'll lose two scholarship for three years for every kid that opts out early.

Has anyone on these boards ever tried to get a kid into a major college sports program?? Even if your kid is one of the best, if he didn't play for a major football high school ranked in the top 25 there is little to no interest. Even if he was All-State, there is minimal interest.

Been there. Done that. Got the tee-shirt.

The best teams have the most to offer. Certain teams don't care if a 6'8" 345 lb OT knows the difference between a 'B' and an 'R'. If he can can protect the QB's blind side, bring his ass in. Find his father and mother a job down here and find them a house that some booster will rent for $25 a month. He'll be a communications major and will have 12 credits when his class graduates and will be 70/30 bet to get drafted into the NFL.

Eventually some Senator's nephew or Grandson is going to get overlooked and is going to bring political hell down on the NCAA. They screw them with a dick so big that the NCAA will never be able to hold its mud again. That will be the end of kids that never attended high school getting a full ride scholarship without a valid transcript. It will put an end to one and done basketball players too. You'll lose two scholarship for three years for every kid that opts out early.

Has anyone on these boards ever tried to get a kid into a major college sports program?? Even if your kid is one of the best, if he didn't play for a major football high school ranked in the top 25 there is little to no interest. Even if he was All-State, there is minimal interest.

Been there. Done that. Got the tee-shirt.

I definitely think the stars are overrated. Tennessee needs to do a better job of finding the diamonds in the rough because we get a lot of 4 and 5 stars that do not perform to their rating. Sometimes it comes down to a player being an inch smaller than another player or something stupid. Stars don't rate personality or drive.

The Politician's son could have happened in the past as well. The reason we don't see that is politicians usually push their kids into politics, not sports lol.

I do think they need to end the education charade by allowing for a "Football" major. Perhaps they could take classes on how to be a coach. Players can take other majors if they want and care about a degree but having players pursue degrees that they don't finish or care about is silly.

I would take Kelly at UT. He has done wonder for Notre Dame.

Another thing that has hurt Notre Dame is that their traditional opponents are not good. Michigan, USC, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Michigan State, etc. are not the quality wins or attention grabbing matchups that they have been in the past. Also Notre Dame has gotten away from playing some of those games. The biggest matchup Notre Dame had lately was Georgia and they lost both times. (Although they played better than expected).
Meh. I say all the time on the ND Boards that Kelly will leave ND better than he found it, but he's not an elite coach. It shouldn't have taken him 10 years to develop any consistency. His nepotistic coach hirings killed him many years, he's an atrocious gameday coach, but I think he has been able to lobby for program upgrades, field, practice facilities, training table etc, that have improved the program, and he made a dynamite hire in Clark Lea, actually lucked into him when Mike Elko bolted for A&M. I think history will prove Lea the better coach.

I miss when USC and ND mattered, and I am proud of both schools for maintaining it in the face of conference pressure.

Lots of great points made. Here are some thoughts I have had ... a lot here, but no solid wall of text. I like paragraphs. I am not proofing this.

- As @fordman84 said, it's cyclical. It will swing around at some point. But, I am not sure that it will swing as much. The swings will be a few teams moving in and out while the solid core stays the same.

- That is until coaching changes. Right now you have Dabo and Saban dominating. Day seems to be taking over for Urban Meyer. But, let's not forget that since the B1G started having a CCG, Wisconsin has won twice, Michigan State twice, PSU once, and tOSU 4 times. What changed with tOSU to win 4 of the last 5? Coaching. Lincoln Riley will be at OU for not much longer before he gets paid in the NFL. Saban will retire within the next 6 years. Will Dabo go to Bama, and if so what happens at Clemson.

- To see the cycle from the other side, look at how quickly FSU went from the penthouse to the doghouse. Oregon when from being really good, to not so much, yet appear to be on the upswing. Coaching has been the difference at USC who dominated the early 00s, and hasn't been much of a threat since. Mack Brown left and UT has been disappointing since.

- We are about to undergo seismic changes in college football that could change the landscape. With the NLI legislation coming up, can any of the also rans do something to make their school more attractive? I don't really know and it could be something where the fat get fatter as they have the money to setup NLI departments and advisors.

- Then there is the free agency that is about to come with a 1 time free transfer. I really think this could be the thing that balances out the recruiting imbalance. If someone can have a 1 time free transfer, the diamonds in the rough from the Akrons, the NC States, the Memphises will move on to bigger programs to fill gaps. But, they are more likely to go to the PSUs, UFs, UM, AUs of the world where there will be more PAT, but still a bigger stage. Take MuLLLen as an example. He's a terrible recruiter. Yet he has seemed to work the transfer portal fairly well (jury is still out, though). All his 5* but one are transfers. Same with UTjr. UGA on the other hand has lost a number of 5* and high 4* to transfer when they got recruited over. Bama's been processing players for years. The top teams will also hit the transfer portal, but their needs are less and they don't have as much PT to offer. I can see the transfer rule really helping the 5-15 teams more than the 1-5 teams.

- Much of this imbalance is a result of recruiting changes. With the Internet, the teams can find the players much easier. With bigger budgets, the big boys can get the better players. When you look at recruiting the past 5 years you see the same teams in the top 3, for the most part - Bama, UGA, tOSU, Clemson, LSU. Teams like USC, Ore, UM, UT slide in and out of 4 or 5-ish, but the top classes are going to the schools named above. Clemson is a bit of an outlier regarding rank because they had some small classes, but their average has been in the top 5 for several years now and their class last year and this year will be outstanding. I am not sure I see this changing. A huge amount of the top talent is in the south, and I don't see a lot of top talent heading north or midwest. Cali kids are coming south, not south kids going west (USC can keep some home, at Ore is doing well with a Saban disciple).

If this doesn't change, is there a schematic innovation that could balance things out? Think Chip Kelly and Oregon 10 years ago. But the rules were changed, and teams adapted. It took 1 week for schools in the SEC to adapt to the Pirate. Perhaps the emphasis on O over D could make a difference, but then we have OU as proof you have to play some defense.

- An 8 team CFP may make a difference. If more teams have a shot, some of the top talent might not concentrate at the top. The 8 team CFP will also allow teams to play much better OOC games. This could result in better recruiting and talent for at least the top 16 teams.

- Finally, I am not sure you can blame the dwindling crowds at games to the imbalance. Take some of my friends who drop $15K and more for season tickets each year. With Covid, they suddenly had $15K sitting in the bank. Some of them have setup the coolest man caves you can imagine. Multiple huge TVs, reclining chairs. These are guys who go to every game, home and away, and setup elaborate tailgates. But they are getting tired to getting up at 6am, heading to Athens, fighting traffic, setting up, going to a game any time from noon - 8:30pm. Then fighting traffic home. Dealing with bathrooms in the stadium, etc. Better to have your own food, bathroom, and not have to be in the car for hours. This will take people away from going to games.

Then you have the Covid affect where people are learning they have other options. And, the simple idea that the younger generation isn't into CFB as much as the older generation. eSports, streaming entertainment, and other interests are competing with people's time.

Interest is declining, the numbers tell us that. But, I think it is a lot more than the imbalance at the top.

I definitely think the stars are overrated. Tennessee needs to do a better job of finding the diamonds in the rough because we get a lot of 4 and 5 stars that do not perform to their rating. Sometimes it comes down to a player being an inch smaller than another player or something stupid. Stars don't rate personality or drive.

The Politician's son could have happened in the past as well. The reason we don't see that is politicians usually push their kids into politics, not sports lol.

I do think they need to end the education charade by allowing for a "Football" major. Perhaps they could take classes on how to be a coach. Players can take other majors if they want and care about a degree but having players pursue degrees that they don't finish or care about is silly.
Baseball is the same. You better be on your HS team, that team better be good, and you better be an elite select team or you have no shot at any scholarship. Even the best in baseball get percent scholarships at best unless you go to a baseball school in which case you better be drafted early but "want the education"

Baseball is the same. You better be on your HS team, that team better be good, and you better be an elite select team or you have no shot at any scholarship. Even the best in baseball get percent scholarships at best unless you go to a baseball school in which case you better be drafted early but "want the education"
I just read the article below that takes what you are saying in a totally different direction, but with the same concept.

This serious article will have you laughing your ass off at the idiotic rich parents. The jabs they take at us "normal" people is hilarious. I really feel sorry for them and their kids. It's a long read, but worth it.

The Mad, Mad World of Niche Sports Among Ivy League–Obsessed Parents

I just read the article below that takes what you are saying in a totally different direction, but with the same concept.

This serious article will have you laughing your ass off at the idiotic rich parents. The jabs they take at us "normal" people is hilarious. I really feel sorry for them and their kids. It's a long read, but worth it.

The Mad, Mad World of Niche Sports Among Ivy League–Obsessed Parents
I no longer feel like a sports fanatic. That is crazy stuff!

I no longer feel like a sports fanatic. That is crazy stuff!
Totally nutjob fucking crazy. I grew up going to public school in West Palm Beach - the others side of the tracks, so to speak - so I saw it growing up. Then I went to Vandy as a public school kid and saw it even more. The parents in that article are totally fucked up, and they are screwing their kids up beyond belief. You have to laugh that Buffy and Biff were all lined up to row crew at Yale, and then Covid hit and crew was eliminated, and their perfect SATs aren't good enough to get into Yale, and mommy and daddy can't go to the club and brag. Meanwhile, my public school kids are doing fine in college, apparently in the "armpit" of the US. They were brutal on the fly over states.

Lake Worth kid huh?
How dare you, you ignorant slut. I went to Forest Hill, we hated Lake Worth. Had some pretty big brawls with them on the baseball diamond, then we got together each summer for Legion Post 12 and had a fantastic team, then fought again the next year. Great memories. You from the area?

How dare you, you ignorant slut. I went to Forest Hill, we hated Lake Worth. Had some pretty big brawls with them on the baseball diamond, then we got together each summer for Legion Post 12 and had a fantastic team, then fought again the next year. Great memories. You from the area?
No. I’m down in MIA. But I sent years at Okeheelee Park with my daughter’s travel softball games.

holy wall of text _______

(can't say the name in the joke without twisting up a certain tittiebaby)
Its a fucking manifesto is what it is. Who gives a flying fuck what Minnesota did in the 1870's?