Just got a drone for work purposes

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 67,441.00
I know nothing about them, and hopefully I wont kill it before I can use it.

I think you'll "legally" need to be licensed, so at least you can learn a bit while watching those videos.

I know nothing about them, and hopefully I wont kill it before I can use it.

It seems like all the work you just did on your roof would be a great place to practice,
If you don't crash the thing into the chimney, or all that other stuff you have up there, first.

@HammerDown You have GOT to let him post his fuck up videos!

fail oh no GIF

They have some good ones now for a decent price. Which one did you get?

I bought one about 2 weeks before I fell off the ladder and ended up in a wheelchair for 7 months. I tried to fly it after I was back on my feet for a while but lost it somewhere in the neighborhood.

Had to go limping around my neighbor's yards looking for it. Finally found it....put it back in the box and stored it away somewhere.

That was 5 years ago. The technology to fly them and the range is much better now.

Mavic Air 2
Our health and safety guy has a Mavic of some kind. He uses it to scan the exterior of buildings. I remember hearing about it when we had a fire a couple of years ago and there was disagreement with the insurance company.

Go out in a wide open space, far from water...to learn how to fly it. Don't try just launching it from your driveway or it may end up in someone's pool. That's what I thought had happened to mine. haha

Mavic Air 2
I'll share what I know about drones. My son talked me into buying one last year so I sprung for the Mavik mini ($500ish with extra batteries) and I looked into the legal issues.

If your drone weighs over 250 grams it needs to be registered with the FAA. Mine comes in at 248g, but then I also learned that if you plan to use the drone for commercial purposes (home inspections, real estate photos etc) it has to be registered no matter the weight.

Best part is that registering a drone costs $5 for 3 years and I'm pretty sure that the registration is good for multiple drones for the same user.

The most important part is downloading an APP called B4UFLY. This app tells you if you are in restricted airspace and whether you can :airquotes: legally fly. Knowing that you are in Vegas near McCarran and Nellis AFB this may or not be important to you.

Lastly, keep your drone in plain sight while you're flying......... always. I was quite sure I lost mine in the trees across the road from my buddies house on my 2nd or 3rd adventure. it was pretty nerve wracking 5-10 minutes while I listened to the drone buzzing around the tall pines above me, but I couldn't see it.

Last edited:
I'll share what I know about drones. My son talked me into buying one last year so I sprung for the Mavik mini ($500ish with extra batteries) and I looked into the legal issues.

If your drone weighs over 250 grams it needs to be registered with the FAA. Mine comes in at 248g, but then I also learned that if you plan to use the drone for commercial purposes (home inspections, real estate photos etc) it has to be registered no matter the weight.

Best part is that registering a drone costs $5 for 3 years and I'm pretty sure that the registration is good for multiple drones for the same user.

The most important part is downloading an APP called B4UFLY. This app tells you if you are in restricted airspace and whether you can :airquotes: legally fly. Knowing that you are in Vegas near McCarran and Nellis AFB this may or not be important to you.

Lastly, keep your drone in plain sight while you're flying......... always. I was quite sure I lost mine in the trees across the road from my buddies house on my 2nd or 3rd adventure. it was pretty nerve wracking 5-10 minutes while I listened to the drone buzzing around the tall pines above me, but I couldn't see it.
Yeah, it looks like I have to get certified, and it may be a pain in the ass.

Go out in a wide open space, far from water...to learn how to fly it. Don't try just launching it from your driveway or it may end up in someone's pool. That's what I thought had happened to mine. haha
This thing kind of flies itself. I already flew it over my own house today. Pretty easy so far

5 minutes online and $5, you'll be good to go :thumb:
No, thats to register it. That was easy. This is a whole process and cost 150 I think. Have to go to a testing facility and shit.

Because I am using it for business, I need to get a commercial license.

I think you'll "legally" need to be licensed, so at least you can learn a bit while watching those videos.
No

At least I'm not licensed. You do need to register it though.

Yeah, it looks like I have to get certified, and it may be a pain in the ass.
You don't need the Part 107 certification for recreational drone uses or even some light commercial stuff . I have the training book on my coffee table, but have not bothered with it yet.

No, thats to register it. That was easy. This is a whole process and cost 150 I think. Have to go to a testing facility and shit.

Because I am using it for business, I need to get a commercial license.
Yuck.