Kburjr, help me with the thread title here

Moving this from the PF by request:

I can't speak for everyone else, but yeah, I live my life in a constant state of anger/unhappiness. Sometimes I keep it suppressed, some times it boils over. What I've learned is to take an Epicurean approach, and minimize the opportunities for unpleasant activities in my life (he was not a hedonist, contrary to popular belief).

Sometimes limiting the unpleasantness means not reading or responding to particular individuals on the internet who also appear to live in a constant state of anger/unhappiness...or it means joking about their anger. I have found that people will be somewhat more reasonable if they don't take you seriously.

The reason I wanted you to post this here is the philosophical nature of events. Seeing reality as something that happens to you is where I disagree. Reality is absurd. There is no reason or intent. Your reaction(anger/unhappiness) is on you. Stoicism handles it better, IMO. Acceptance of reality without emotion.

Just gotta start creatively dropping subliminal propaganda to get the wife interested and subsequently invoke her to propose the move. If it's her idea, you win. :thumb:
She is willing to take a visit to see what it's like, we might do that next summer (pending covid). She thinks that might get it out of my system, or something. I'm hoping like you said, she gets interested and it becomes her idea.

But it definitely won't happen while the kids are still in school. I wouldn't do that to them.

Thats seems like a lot to unpack, but I definitely "get it" to the effect of just not interacting with what, even might be, an unpleasant exchange. I am probably one to be avoided at times.

I feel like I am probably my most unpleasant here at times, as this is a place I can vent with impunity.

Pussycat

The reason I wanted you to post this here is the philosophical nature of events. Seeing reality as something that happens to you is where I disagree. Reality is absurd. There is no reason or intent. Your reaction(anger/unhappiness) is on you. Stoicism handles it better, IMO. Acceptance of reality without emotion.
This makes me so angry I'm going to have to ignore it

People can talk a good game about not letting reality affect them, but that's all out the window when one of their sacred cows is involved.

This makes me so angry I'm going to have to ignore it

People can talk a good game about not letting reality affect them, but that's all out the window when one of their sacred cows is involved.

No one is a perfect Stoic. I don't consider myself a stoic more of an existentialist. I handle reality as it comes and try to personalize it.

No one is a perfect Stoic. I don't consider myself a stoic more of an existentialist. I handle reality as it comes and try to personalize it.
Well I can't honestly call myself a full Epicure, either. Mainly, I don't because so many people misunderstand what his philosophy was.

I'm probably about 32% existentialist though...you wanna see my copy of Being and Nothingness?? Talk about 500 pages of absolute excrement with about 50 of 🤯

Well I can't honestly call myself a full Epicure, either. Mainly, I don't because so many people misunderstand what his philosophy was.

I'm probably about 32% existentialist though...you wanna see my copy of Being and Nothingness?? Talk about 500 pages of absolute excrement with about 50 of 🤯

I wonder if it's them same 50 pages I have. Sartre is not the only existentialist. Camus is a much better read, even going back to Nietzsche or Kierkegaard at times.

I wonder if it's them same 50 pages I have. Sartre is not the only existentialist. Camus is a much better read, even going back to Nietzsche or Kierkegaard at times.
Oh, I have an even bigger collection of Camus. The Plague, the Stranger, the Myth of Sisyphus, etc. Definitely more digestible than Sartre or Nietzsche (except for his aphorisms).

The only Kierkegaard I ever tried to read was his "political writings" and I was so dang lost. He basically made me give up on philosophy

Oh, I have an even bigger collection of Camus. The Plague, the Stranger, the Myth of Sisyphus, etc. Definitely more digestible than Sartre or Nietzsche (except for his aphorisms).

The only Kierkegaard I ever tried to read was his "political writings" and I was so dang lost. He basically made me give up on philosophy

Kierkegaard is very dependent on the translation. I admit that his only contribution to my thinking is "The Leap of Faith". Sometimes you need to make decisions without reason.

Kierkegaard is very dependent on the translation. I admit that his only contribution to my thinking is "The Leap of Faith". Sometimes you need to make decisions without reason.

Is this a language you guys learned in college? I should have not been so self destructive in my youth.

Hahahaha. I still read philosophy nearly every day. The parts you didn't destroy are OK by me. +1
I feel like I am open to new concepts and philosophies, but have no substantial knowledge of any of them in particular. I also don't enjoy reading, and my ADHD prevents me from retaining much of what I read. I will suddenly realize that I have been reading for pages, and retained virtually none of it, and have to reread. Its not from lack of comprehension, but mild retardation.

Is this a language you guys learned in college? I should have not been so self destructive in my youth.
It took me until my late 20's before i read any philosophy. Somebody gave me a copy of an "intro to western philosophy" and away I went for about 10 years. I'm a classic late-bloomer

But i'm also a classic dilettante; I dabble in stuff without really specializing in anything

I feel like I am open to new concepts and philosophies, but have no substantial knowledge of any of them in particular. I also don't enjoy reading, and my ADHD prevents me from retaining much of what I read. I will suddenly realize that I have been reading for pages, and retained virtually none of it, and have to reread. Its not from lack of comprehension, but mild retardation.

I have to admit that I have to read some authors many times before I understand the point. That is, if I do truly understand the point.

There are no right and wrong philosophies, just those that work for you.

I will suddenly realize that I have been reading for pages, and retained virtually none of it, and have to reread.
Similar. I really have to work hard to focus on what i'm reading. Message boards are great because most of it is in these really small chunks that you don't have to put in too much effort to understand.

I used to get these really small books from my library that would take one particular philosopher and spell out their theories in plain language.

Similar. I really have to work hard to focus on what i'm reading. Message boards are great because most of it is in these really small chunks that you don't have to put in too much effort to understand.

I used to get these really small books from my library that would take one particular philosopher and spell out their theories in plain language.
Philosophy for dummies? That sounds about my speed.

She is willing to take a visit to see what it's like, we might do that next summer (pending covid). She thinks that might get it out of my system, or something. I'm hoping like you said, she gets interested and it becomes her idea.

But it definitely won't happen while the kids are still in school. I wouldn't do that to them.
I've had the same thing with my job. The president of the company has asked me several times if I want to run a new branch of the business, but I've continued to tell him "not until my kids graduate high school". That's actually happening this May, so there's a chance I might be soon moving out of my comfortable little bubble and partaking in a new adventure.