Lawn Care Advice Thread

I have also decided against prodiamine for the last bits of poa annua this year, and instead will be spot clearing and seeding a few places that have a mix of poa annua and poa triv.

Having Bermuda and not having to worry about grass seed germination, I push the pre-emergent pretty hard, about 4 times a year.

I have almost completely eliminated the Poa out of my yard. Last year, it completely took over. There is some left, but the pre-emergent should keep it from coming up next year.

I'll start over seeding in a few weeks by gradually lowering my HOC from 4 inches to close to 2. Try to stunt the bermuda I have in the back yard a week or so before I run my tow behind dethatcher and bag everything up. Make multiple passes with my aerator. Spread seed and blanket spray tenacity over top. Water a few times a day until germination and then add some starter fertilizer.

Wait as long as I can stand before mowing and see where I'm at with germination. See if I can get a round of prodiamine down for late germinating weeds, but not a priority this year.

Once growth stops, I'll drop some fast release nitrogen fertilizer down for winter root storage while keeping leaves off the grass.

Next year will be the start of prioritizing fall pre-emergent and trying to get rid of the bermuda.

One thing I have not figured out is how to get rid of Nutsedge.

I have been using this. I don't put it in a hose end sprayer anymore, as my Bermuda doesn't like it very much.
So I have been using a spray bottle. There's lots of it, so that doesn't work very well.

Pulling it out is the wrong thing to do, because you will never get all of it, and it just comes back.

1627847009625.png

View attachment 37508

One thing I have not figured out us how to get rid of is Nutsedge.

I have been using this. I don't put it in a hose end sprayer anymore, as my Bermuda doesn't like it very much.
So I have been using a spray bottle. There's lots of it, so that doesn't work very well.

Pulling it out is the wrong thing to do, because you will never get all of it, and it just comes back.

View attachment 37509

View attachment 37508

I've heard good things about sedge hammer.

One thing I have not figured out is how to get rid of Nutsedge.

View attachment 37509

View attachment 37508
lawcare nut has quite a few videos on nutsedge. Check out his youtube channel. I think he uses a mix of things.

Any of you guys used Hydretain?

I got a gallon the other day that I plan to put down while over seeding in a few weeks. I'm also going to be planting some new shrubs around the house, so I'll give them and the others a small dose to help them get started.

I'll also plan to add some RGS (root growth stimulator) and Air8 (supposed to help with compaction) when I seed as well.

All three of these products may be in my arsenal for future seasons.

I had to look this one up, have never heard of it.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I didn't sit there and read it all, but looked like it was for controlling moisture ?? Have no idea how it does that. I could see how it could help in the Summer temps. I have good soil and a sprinkler system, so I'll probably not be using that.

Hadn't thought about that. I'll read up on it.

Air8 (supposed to help with compaction)

Is that like Gypsum?? I think Gypsum is for compacted soils.

I'm winding down my fertilizers. What I have on it now should keep greening thru the 1st week in September, then a gradual slow down to Winter. I'll still be putting on more pre-emergent in mid-late September, depending on the temp.

I had to look this one up, have never heard of it.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I didn't sit there and read it all, but looked like it was for controlling moisture ?? Have no idea how it does that. I could see how it could help in the Summer temps. I have good soil and a sprinkler system, so I'll probably not be using that.

Hadn't thought about that. I'll read up on it.

Is that like Gypsum?? I think Gypsum is for compacted soils.

I'm winding down my fertilizers. What I have on it now should keep greening thru the 1st week in September, then a gradual slow down to Winter. I'll still be putting on more pre-emergent in mid-late September, depending on the temp.

I had never heard of these either until I started following the Lawn Care Nut on YouTube.

Hydretain has evidently been around for years in the turf industry (golf, sport complexes, etc). It's supposed to help bring in the humidity from the air and condense it to make it useful to the soil and roots. I haven't seen a negative review outside of the cost thus far and many swear by it.

Similar situations with the RGS and Air8. RGS has seakelp "hormones" that help grass drive root growth, along with humates for soil microbial activity.

Air8 is supposed to help break the bonds within the soil molecules to make it easier for nitrogen/etc to be used by grass.

All of this may seem like "snake oil", but many swear by it with pictures of their lawn results. I figured I'd give it a try.

The LCN seems like an average dude with experience working for TruGreen and wants to provide his insight from his experience to DIYers.

Edits:abound due to the stupid Kindle Fire "predict text". Hopefully I got them, but don't judge me if something snuck by.

Last edited:
Looks like we’ve got a little rash of army worms in our area. My guy came by and sprayed for that. All I’m doing is cutting grass, edging and weed eating. Good luck to all as we come to an end of the growing months.

I’ll have to cut grass all the way to the middle to the end of October.
We got killed by the Army worms. They showed up and they were everywhere before the guy could get out to spray. Tried a granular to hold them off but it was awful. My yard rebounded in about two weeks so that was lucky.

We got killed by the Army worms. They showed up and they were everywhere before the guy could get out to spray. Tried a granular to hold them off but it was awful. My yard rebounded in about two weeks so that was lucky.
I have not seen these yet

I have not seen these yet
Day one you will see about 5 on your porch by day two you will have 50 and your yard looks like it’s moving. They leave brown patches everywhere as they go through the grass.

If you see wasp hanging out on your yard get ready they are eating larva.

Day one you will see about 5 on your porch by day two you will have 50 and your yard looks like it’s moving. They leave brown patches everywhere as they go through the grass.

If you see wasp hanging out on your yard get ready they are eating larva.

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

I got a gallon the other day that I plan to put down while over seeding in a few weeks. I'm also going to be planting some new shrubs around the house, so I'll give them and the others a small dose to help them get started.

I'll also plan to add some RGS (root growth stimulator) and Air8 (supposed to help with compaction) when I seed as well.

All three of these products may be in my arsenal for future seasons.
I've used it for the last two summers. Ran a test plot of it last year in an area of my back yard and gave both the untreated and treated areas the same water. There was for sure a difference, but not crazy.

I used it on potted plants as well as turf. We get so dry that every little bit counts. I don't know what I would use it outside of just before our drought season. I don't know if it has any effect on germinating plants as it works at the root level and they don't have much.

crab grass is starting to spring up around my yard, just pulling it as I see it. I have my mower deck all the way up, not bagging it and letting the clippings hang out. Will probably dethatch before doing a fall seeding, but right now I am just doing minimal stuff with the lawn.

I've used it for the last two summers. Ran a test plot of it last year in an area of my back yard and gave both the untreated and treated areas the same water. There was for sure a difference, but not crazy.

I used it on potted plants as well as turf. We get so dry that every little bit counts. I don't know what I would use it outside of just before our drought season. I don't know if it has any effect on germinating plants as it works at the root level and they don't have much.

I'm not expecting it to be a magic bullet, but hoping it'll help keep seeds moist in a couple weeks, even though I plan to water a few times during the day. Same with the new shrubs to help them establish as summer is winding down.

if I like the results, I may add some to the lawn next year as we head into summer, especially in the areas that checked out quicker this year. I'm not going to water every other day in the best of summer, so I'm okay with the lawn going dormant, but if it helps shorten that time, then I'll try it.

crab grass is starting to spring up around my yard, just pulling it as I see it. I have my mower deck all the way up, not bagging it and letting the clippings hang out. Will probably dethatch before doing a fall seeding, but right now I am just doing minimal stuff with the lawn.

Yeah, at this point sticking with the basics should be fine. You don't want to stress the turf during heat/drought by spraying a lot of chemicals, especially if you're going to seed anyway. I would go ahead and kill the crabgrass you see with roundup about a week prior to seeding if you have too much to pull.

We had a couple weeks of 90 degree temps and no rain until the last couple days. While I've got several areas in my lawn that are dormant/ under heat stress, there is still a distinct line and color difference between my yard and my neighbors who have lime green weedy lawns.

20210817_144538.jpg20210817_151034.jpg

Ok
I have to 'Declare Victory' over my Backyard.
After last year's infestation of Crab Grass and Poa Annua, I can say that 99% of it is gone now.

Yeah Me

Mood Jarred Kjack GIF by The Dungeon Run

I'm going to push my over seed project at least a week due to this heat and dry conditions. Had been lowering my HOC over the last couple weeks from 4 to 3 inches, but I may let the current grass recover a little as it's pretty stressed.

Also have our landscape guy coming next week to seal our paver patios and walkways, add several more shrubs my wife wanted and mulch, so I don't want to have hoses dragging over it for a few days or his crew trampling over the seed.

Gotta get everything off the patios this weekend so I'll be doing that in the morning so I can avoid the heat and drink beer in the afternoons without worrying about taking off a ladder taking down the string lights.