Lawn Care Advice Thread

So now that the weather has mellowed and I was able to get out and give the yard a very short cut and look at the state of the grass, I can say The TTTF did well, but then so did the rye grass.

I had left the lawn at 3" plus all spring and summer which is a bit taller than I like, but TTTF needs it long and I wanted to help push the roots down farther.

The rye didn't have any real stress, fungus, or disease. The whole lawn looked pretty good. Very few spots that had to be dethatched/shallow debris picked up.

So I really don't know going forward if I really need to change the whole thing out to TTTF. I like that rye can be cut shorter. I have a few decisions to make going into next season. I did use some TTTF for overseeding as well as some of the rye I have. This is the least amount of fall yard maint I've ever had to do. Tells me I had the yard dialed in well and had a solid water plan more than anything with the grass types/cultivars.

Mowed down to 2 inches, dethached, and bagged yesterday. Aerated, broadcast seed, and starter fertilizer today.

Having my patios and walkway sealed tomorrow morning so I'll be spraying down RGS and Air8 in one batch, then Hydretain and tenacity in another batch before getting the impact sprinklers going later tomorrow night or Sunday after the sealant has dried.

Then I should be able to just sit back for a few weeks and let the water do its job.

Put down some pre-emergent a couple of weeks ago.
I cut most of the green out of my burmuda last mowing.

There might be 1 more cutting, then that's it for the year.

I'm essentially a year into bringing back our lawn that was neglected prior to our moving in 4 years ago and spending the first three years working on other land/hardscape projects where the yard was getting tore up in between. I've had some minimal progress this past year, but any progress is good.

My plan for this coming week on my 1/4 acre lawn that is mostly a 30 degree slope for 2/3rds of that plot:

- Mow to 1.5 inches using the walk behind (21" ) to get most of the grass in the "dips" versus the 48" riding mower JD
- Bag clippings with the John Deere
- Dethatch using the tow behind AgriFab 40" detacher with the JD to bring up any old clippings/ etc
- Bag any debris with the JD
- Aerate using the tow behind AgriFab 48" plug aerator with the JD
- Add some top soil to the major low spots to help level the "dips"
- Overseed with Black Beauty Ultra ( Jonathan Green brand)
- Add Scott's starter fertilizer
- Lay out some straw in heavily sloped or bare areas
- Set several zoned sprinklers to add water for 10 minutes, 3 times a day for the first week or so
- Mow with walk behind for first few cuts at least 3 weeks after seeding. May take a weed eater to any crab grass in between as needed.

Eventually want to get to mostly organic fertilizers (Milo), but I have a current stockpile of Scott's to get through that will hopefully also help in getting the yard into a condition without as much chemicals for weeds.I

Edit: I hate autocorrect on my kindle!
So how is it all working out.
Going according to plan??

I got that annual Bluegrass out of my back yard that had taken over.
Burmuda now.

So how is it all working out.
Going according to plan??

I got that annual Bluegrass out of my back yard that had taken over.
Burmuda now.

Not there yet, but improving.

I killed off the bermuda in the back yard and the second bag of seed I put down (Scott's tall fescue) seemed to have been invested with poa annua. Nothing to do about it this spring, but I'll throw down some prodiamine or dithiopyr this fall to hopefully keep some of it from germinating for next year. I don't plan to reseed in the next couple years and stick with fall pre-emergent to get rid of most of it.

I'm also in the middle of oak pollen timeframe, so that yellow shit is everywhere.

20220429_145727.jpg20220429_145722.jpg20220429_145753.jpg

Not there yet, but improving.

I killed off the bermuda in the back yard and the second bag of seed I put down (Scott's tall fescue) seemed to have been invested with poa annua. Nothing to do about it this spring, but I'll throw down some prodiamine or dithiopyr this fall to hopefully keep some of it from germinating for next year. I don't plan to reseed in the next couple years and stick with fall pre-emergent to get rid of most of it.

View attachment 70518View attachment 70519View attachment 70520
I love your neighborhood.

Figured I'd get in a mow (4 inch hoc) and put together the frame for bird netting for the blueberries before it got in the 90s the next couple days with storms starting Sunday. At least the poa annua is starting to die off in the backyard and I'll put down some pre-emergent this fall to prevent most of it returning next year.

Sprayed some tenacity last week for some weeds and breakthrough crabgrass that is starting to show the bleaching. Now just hoping I can stay up on my preventative fungicide to not get hammered with brown patch/ etc over the next couple months.

20220519_141407.jpg20220519_141422.jpg20220519_141454.jpg20220519_141521.jpg20220517_144350.jpg

Needed a little 'booster shot' of the Lesco today.
Lawn had stopped greening up in some places.

Figured I'd get in a mow (4 inch hoc) and put together the frame for bird netting for the blueberries before it got in the 90s the next couple days with storms starting Sunday. At least the poa annua is starting to die off in the backyard and I'll put down some pre-emergent this fall to prevent most of it returning next year.

Sprayed some tenacity last week for some weeds and breakthrough crabgrass that is starting to show the bleaching. Now just hoping I can stay up on my preventative fungicide to not get hammered with brown patch/ etc over the next couple months.

View attachment 72050View attachment 72051View attachment 72052View attachment 72053View attachment 72055
Is that greenhouse frame made of pvc or metal ???

Mulched in some leaves this past week and the color is still hanging on there, especially compared to neighbors.

Should have another round or two of dealing with leaves before the end of the year.

20221203_123419.jpg

Put pre-emergent down today.
Suppose to rain tonight. Hope it waters it in instead of washing it away.

That shit isn't cheap like it used to be.

Put pre-emergent down today.
Suppose to rain tonight. Hope it waters it in instead of washing it away.

That shit isn't cheap like it used to be.

I put down prodiamine Saturday, along with some RGS and Humic, in the backpack sprayer and the first round of fertilizer. Got 1.5 inches of rain over the course of Sunday, so the timing was perfect.

What pre-emergent are you using and size of the yard?

Lol at lawn care in February.

I won't be able to see my lawn til April. :lol:
It will be 75 degrees today, and the weeds are waiting to pop up. I just know it.

Plus, it's every 3 months with the pre emergent anyway.

If you've got a sprayer, go liquid:

I've got almost 10k sqft and this 5 oz bottle gives me a full year of protection with my cool season turf. I do an early spring app of 5.2g/1k when soil temps are 50-55 degrees, then another later in spring when soil temps are approaching 70 to target crabgrass. Coming out of summer I get my last app once temps go below 70 to target fall/ winter weeds that appear in the spring.

Figured most of that post here love your pristine yards but any of you know anything about clover mixes? I don't mind clover at all and want to help the honey bees (there's a person in my neighborhood that's started bee keeping). Instead of sowing straight grass, I was looking into grass and clover mix, but everything I see is just small bags. Do they not make bigger bags (like 20 or 40 lbs) the same way they do straight grass?