LeBron/NBA and Their Hypocrisy

People are so fucking full of shit!

You have a sports message board, two of them in fact, where politics dominates the discussions. And don't blame Covid and the lack of sports. It's been that way for years.

There are several posters on both Hoops who post almost exclusively in the Politics Forums and occasionally might post something sports-related.

Hammer started a joke thread in the CFB Forum that turned into a 2nd Amendment argument!

We bitch and bitch and bitch for the athletes to "stick to sports".

We should they?

We don't.

You have a sports message board, two of them in fact, where politics dominates the discussions. And don't blame Covid and the lack of sports. It's been that way for years.

There are several posters on both Hoops who post almost exclusively in the Politics Forums and occasionally might post something sports-related.

Hammer started a joke thread in the CFB Forum that turned into a 2nd Amendment argument!

We should they?

We don't.

You're aware that the point of a message board is to post messages, right?

You also realize that the point of a sportsball person is to sportsball, right?

If we stick to what we're supposed to do, that's post messages. So...

colon GIF by SB Nation

We should they?

We don't.
Well they are who they are because we watch them.

We don't post on message boards because they're watching us.

We should they?

We don't.

To me, it's about being at work vs. not being at work.

I don't know about companies that you have worked for. But the ones I have would frown upon employees telling customers about their political, religious or whatever else beliefs. Players have plenty of opportunities to express their views when they aren't "on the clock".

I'm not going to allow it to stop me from watching as it's easy to avoid/ignore. But I'd really rather not be preached to while I'm trying to watch sports. Like a lot of folks, part of why I watch sports is to get a break from all of the other shit that goes on.

It's beyond stupid. Baseball and Hockey are really struggling in the ratings as well. The reason is beyond obvious if you aren't trying to push a political agenda. If you have all the major sports playing at the same time, ratings are going to suffer. The average person will only consume so much sports content. Usually these sports are spread out through the year, this year they aren't.

Just to put it in perspective, more people watched game 4 of the NBA Finals than any single college football game this season (so far)
I haven't watch a single play of CFB.

Im not mad at anyone. I just don't care.

I wat
I stopped noticing Black Lives Matter on the court about 1 minute into the first game. Like a few folks, I was concerned that it would be distracting.

I actually notice the team logos (which they put on the court for the "home team") being in the wrong spot (usually in the middle of the court) than the Black Lives Matter.

Haven't noticed any players with "I Can't Breathe" on the back of their jersey although there may be some. I'm not sure what slogans were approved by the NBA. But I have seen such offensive messages as "Vote", "Education Reform" and some foreign born players that have slogans in their primary language, etc. But I don't even notice that anymore.

Several players have chosen not to have slogans at all (Lebron, AD, KCP and, I believe, Kyle Kuzma on the Lakers, for example) and that's actually more noticeable because their last name is usually there.

For what it's worth, Charles Barkley has spoken out against doing this past this year. On a recent NBA on TNT he basically said it was cool this year because of the unique circumstances, but understands that people don't want politics in their sports. Damn near jumped up out of my recliner to give him a standing O when said that. lol

Too bad you haven't been watching. Luka Doncic is the truth. Haven't seen a point guard do what he's doing at his age since Magic Johnson.
I watched Dallas and then no one else. Just not worth my time. I enjoy hard nosed basketball, not drive and flop for the foul Dwayne Wade type garbage. More and more in the NBA play for the foul instead of playing basketball. So i've been watching less and less NBA for a while and the political stuff is just icing on the cake.

We should they?

We don't.
No one is watching me. I'd probably dress things up if people were watching, let alone paying to watch.

We should they?

We don't.
you're comparing anonymous posters on an internet message with zero following to millionaire athletes? that makes zero sense.

i don't think athletes should stick to sports, but they should be called out when they incite inflammatory rhetoric.

you're comparing anonymous posters on an internet message with zero following to millionaire athletes? that makes zero sense.

i don't think athletes should stick to sports, but they should be called out when they incite inflammatory rhetoric.
Or when they threaten to cancel the NBA playoffs because a felon who was trying to kidnap three kids gets shot by the police.

the NBA's declining tv ratings were a topic of conversation before covid hit. combine that with the big ass BLM logo on their court, that's why people are talking about the NBA's ratings and not anyone else's.

Or when they threaten to cancel the NBA playoffs because a felon who was trying to kidnap three kids gets shot by the police.
the problem is that no one with a platform really calls them out on it.

the media are their cheerleaders

"so stunning, so brave!"

Are ratings down? Yep. Are ratings down in every sport? Yep. But what is the common denominator for their low ratings? Is it "Playing out of season and going up against all the other sports?" Or is it, "They've all gone political?"

You'd think in the middle of a pandemic, and having no sports for months, the return of any pro sports would be a welcome sight and must see TV. What else did we have to do with nothing open and nowhere to go and all staying home to work? Seems like a recipe for everyone to tune in and follow sports, and especially to use sports to get away.

Instead ratings are at an all time low.

It is odd but by the time sports for going many jobs were firing back up

Another possible issue with sports ratings are bars closing early. One I hadn't considered.

Trust me when I tell you that I'll never support American pro sports again.

Went from a hopeless addict, spending tens of thousands a year on TV and live sports to refusing to ever watch it again and it all started with Colin Kaepernick.

Big dumb violent athletes thinking they're in a position to preach their brand of "social change" to us. Right.

Me cutting pro sports out of my life has been one of the best things I've ever done to improve my life. I highly recommend it.

Pass

I wat

I watched Dallas and then no one else. Just not worth my time. I enjoy hard nosed basketball, not drive and flop for the foul Dwayne Wade type garbage. More and more in the NBA play for the foul instead of playing basketball. So i've been watching less and less NBA for a while and the political stuff is just icing on the cake.
Yeah, the flopping bothers me too. It's not as bad as it used to be because the NBA has been cracking down it for the past few years (although it has been worse while in the bubble, not sure why).

And I can turn on an NBA game after tip off and do the same.
Do you block your eyes when the back of the player's jerseys get shown on TV?

Seriously, I know you're positively giddy with the prospect of the Fakers adding a giant asterisk to their trophy case, but to ignore the national and rational backlash to the political bullshit (IE: false narrative BLM trash) seems crazy to me.

It is odd but by the time sports for going many jobs were firing back up

Another possible issue with sports ratings are bars closing early. One I hadn't considered.
actually, i could've sworn i once read/heard that broadcasts of sporting events at public places/businesses such as sports bars don't count towards ratings #'s. could be wrong/misinformed, though.

Right on cue

EjxkvglXYAAYWdy

lmao, not sure if he's an immature clown or just an idiot

The NBA has been watered down since the 1 and done rule. Now it's run up the court and chuck it up from the cheap seats. No way in hell are these finals teams even close to the great teams of the 80's and 90's.