My next project...

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 3,000.00
... will be wall to wall bookshelves above wall to wall base cabinets in the front room, same Shaker style as the kitchen and living room cabinets.

The wall is just under 14' long and I have 3 full sheets of 3/4" plywood plus a couple partial pieces and it will be plenty to build the base cabinets and even the countertop too, maybe. It hasn't been decided yet on how wide to make the base cabinets from front to back. 24" is standard depth, but for a bookcase, many times the base is just an inch or so wider than the shelves.

A standard depth of 24" will leave a 12" countertop in front of the shelves that will reach the ceiling. I think I like that look but it will also make it harder to reach things on the upper shelves. What that 12" platform/countertop would also be handy for is to stand on it to reach the upper shelves.

I haven't drawn up plans yet but this will be a simple and straightforward project. And by 'simple' I don't mean 'easy', it's just not a complicated design, it's a very simple build but it will still take a lot of time and effort to complete.

And @SlinkyRedfoot , if you have any suggestions on how deep to make the base cabinets, 12 to 24" is the range, let me know so I can get drawing!

This is the wall:
Front room.jpg

... will be wall to wall bookshelves above wall to wall base cabinets in the front room, same Shaker style as the kitchen and living room cabinets.

The wall is just under 14' long and I have 3 full sheets of 3/4" plywood plus a couple partial pieces and it will be plenty to build the base cabinets and even the countertop too, maybe. It hasn't been decided yet on how wide to make the base cabinets from front to back. 24" is standard depth, but for a bookcase, many times the base is just an inch or so wider than the shelves.

A standard depth of 24" will leave a 12" countertop in front of the shelves that will reach the ceiling. I think I like that look but it will also make it harder to reach things on the upper shelves. What that 12" platform/countertop would also be handy for is to stand on it to reach the upper shelves.

I haven't drawn up plans yet but this will be a simple and straightforward project. And by 'simple' I don't mean 'easy', it's just not a complicated design, it's a very simple build but it will still take a lot of time and effort to complete.

And @SlinkyRedfoot , if you have any suggestions on how deep to make the base cabinets, 12 to 24" is the range, let me know so I can get drawing!

This is the wall:
View attachment 63857
Do you have a picture you can find on the internet as to what you want it to look like?

I'm looking to create a closet organizer in a 12' run in the next couple of months.

This is the wall:
View attachment 63857
I'm assuming you're making the shelves adjustable. At least some of them.

What is the purpose of this room? Is it a study, an office, bedroom, mud room, ....? Because if so you may want to coordinate that into the design of this "feature wall".

Do you have a picture you can find on the internet as to what you want it to look like?

I'm looking to create a closet organizer in a 12' run in the next couple of months.
I actually do! I think the pic I used is a bunch of Ikea stuff that some lady put together... I will post it up shortly.

What is the purpose of this room? Is it a study, an office, bedroom, mud room, ....? Because if so you may want to coordinate that into the design of this "feature wall".
It's just the 'front' room, that's all we ever called it. It is definitely not a mud room, we don't have that and we never really use it much. So yeah, I guess 'study' or library room or 'office' might be it's calling!
I'm assuming you're making the shelves adjustable. At least some of them.
I really haven't settled on a design for the shelves yet. The shelves will be by far more involved and difficult than the base cabinet.

You gotta watch how I put this base together, I have a slick plan. Since it's wall to wall, I will use the three walls involved as part of the structure. This will cut down significantly on material and less material = less work!

It's just the 'front' room, that's all we ever called it. It is definitely not a mud room, we don't have that and we never really use it much. So yeah, I guess 'study' or library room or 'office' might be it's calling!

I really haven't settled on a design for the shelves yet. The shelves will be by far more involved and difficult than the base cabinet.

You gotta watch how I put this base together, I have a slick plan. Since it's wall to wall, I will use the three walls involved as part of the structure. This will cut down significantly on material and less material = less work!
I might even leave a desk like opening, to make it functional as a work space. Saw one like that the other day

I might even leave a desk like opening, to make it functional as a work space. Saw one like that the other day
I was looking at something like that too! Bunny has final say on design and she wasn't too eager on a desk area but I do like that idea and I will double check about that.

Do you have a picture
Here ya go, Fog! These to me look like standard base cabinets and the base that I build will not have that top drawer. Other than losing those top drawers, this picture is what I'm after. That is, unless a work station is included...
Built in.png

You are doing a really great job Parka.

I was looking at something like that too! Bunny has final say on design and she wasn't too eager on a desk area but I do like that idea and I will double check about that.

Here ya go, Fog! These to me look like standard base cabinets and the base that I build will not have that top drawer. Other than losing those top drawers, this picture is what I'm after. That is, unless a work station is included...
View attachment 65092
That looks really nice, and seems to be the color you like too!

It always seems when you make something with shelves that don't adjust, you always wish they did. It adds a whole other level of work to it though.

I saw one just like this the other day. The two cabinet doors in the center open, and slid back into the cabinet, like you would see on the old TV cabinets that looked like armoires. So when not using it, it looked like a cabinet, but when using it, the doors weren't in the way,. and you could sit right against the counter top.

View attachment 65092
That's going to be awesome....

I might do something like that in the future but I have a fish tank that I want to use.

My idea would create a full length granite counter top with shelves above with some under shelving lighting.

I also like the idea of a work station....maybe something that hides when not in use and is big enough for a laptop and a beer.

That's going to be awesome....

I might do something like that in the future but I have a fish tank that I want to use.

My idea would create a full length granite counter top with shelves above with some under shelving lighting.

I also like the idea of a work station....maybe something that hides when not in use and is big enough for a laptop and a beer.
Thanks Fog! I missed your comment until just now, sorry about that.

So I got started today and everything went as expected.

I only recently learned how to build cabinets and the way I learned or the techniques I learned, a cabinet is two main parts.
The 'box' and the face frame. The face frame is what the doors are attached to. Well with this build, I'm doing it very different from all my other cabinets. All the other cabinets I built are stand alone single units.

A box has six sides. So the way I see this build is that most of the 'box' is already there! The floor, the back wall and the two ends, all I need to complete the box is the front (face frame & doors), and the top, a countertop. It is making for a very simple build.

I'm ready to start the face frame tomorrow and it shouldn't take very long. Hopefully I will have time tomorrow to get started building eight doors. By next weekend this base cabinet should be completed, painted and finished. I will need to order more hinges and door handles, I hope that doesn't hold me up.

Here are a few pictures.

To get started..jpgBefore I got started I had to remove the last piece of old base board, it was something I neglected to do earlier.

Almost done!.jpgI joked that I was almost done at this point. Actually, I was almost done before I started! The reason is what I mentioned earlier, most of the 'box' is already there.

It's easy!.jpg
It is already ready for the face frame, HOORAY for the face frame!

This is the wall:
View attachment 63857
That is the biggest pillowtop mattress pad I’ve ever seen.

That is the biggest pillowtop mattress pad I’ve ever seen.
That's just a great big bean bag is all that is. Did ya ever play hacky sack before? I tried to play it with that big bag and I got swallowed up!
I was rendered useless, like being in quicksand. After about a day or so I ended up soiling myself!

Anyway, I got the face frame completed today, it took much longer than expected but that's just the way things are. As long as it gets completed, the length of time is not a problem. My plan was to get started on the doors today but I was busy all day with just the face frame. I have to keep going up and down the basement stairs, a dozen or more times and it wears me out and slows me down.

Now when I start the doors, all that work will take place in the basement and I should be done with eight doors, by the end of the day on Wednesday, fingers crossed

What I have built now, it's ready for wood filler and sanding and then it's ready for paint and doors and countertop.

Face frame, CHECK!.jpg
Precise measure & cut.jpg

That's just a great big bean bag is all that is. Did ya ever play hacky sack before? I tried to play it with that big bag and I got swallowed up!
I was rendered useless, like being in quicksand. After about a day or so I ended up soiling myself!

Anyway, I got the face frame completed today, it took much longer than expected but that's just the way things are. As long as it gets completed, the length of time is not a problem. My plan was to get started on the doors today but I was busy all day with just the face frame. I have to keep going up and down the basement stairs, a dozen or more times and it wears me out and slows me down.

Now when I start the doors, all that work will take place in the basement and I should be done with eight doors, by the end of the day on Wednesday, fingers crossed

What I have built now, it's ready for wood filler and sanding and then it's ready for paint and doors and countertop.

View attachment 67110
View attachment 67112
Looking good.

Looks like you have everything under control
Good Luck
I'm glad to see you, OOYM! I will be getting after those doors with a nice early start today. I'm probably going to work in the evening too, just today and tomorrow so I can get ahead of the game. I need to be done by Saturday. That's when my Bunny comes home, how very exciting!

If all the drawer fronts are included, I built around 50 doors so far with the kitchen build but it is NOT even close to second nature to me.

The thing about building eight doors... all eight are the same size so I can knock this out assembly line style, hear me ROAR!
Door GIF by Miike Snow
Trap Door Doors GIF
charlie doors GIF

I did good today, I had a very good day in the shop!

3 doors down... :dhd:
3 doors.jpg
happy season 4 GIF
huckleberry hound boomerang GIF

Plus this one too, 5, ten 15 20!
One door once upon a time Under the Porch.jpgSo I have four more to put together, all the pieces are cut and it will take about an hour to put the last four together. I will be able to get started painting tomorrow, ahead of the game is where I am! But I can't let up, it needs to be finished and cleaned up by Saturday.

I think I'm gonna go horse around Under the Porch for a while!