Series Thread New York Islanders vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Conference Finals)

Certainly the first time someone said « getting to Edmonton earlier helped a ton » and probably the last too. :dhd:
Only negative last night for the Lightning was the top many penalties. Kuch and Point were unreal, they just have insane chemistry. Obviously being more rested and getting to Edmonton earlier helped a ton. I expect the Isles to be a lot better the rest of the series. Everything that could go wrong went wrong for them tonight. I do like that their top guys were frustrated and both goalies gave up 3+ goals. Hopefully they lose some confidence.

People talking shit about Carlson bc he was hurt in the playoffs was
:meh:
and shouldn't dash his Norris credentials(given playoffs don't count) but who's better than Hedman? Think he's clearly top 1-2.

People talking shit about Carlson bc he was hurt in the playoffs was
:meh:
and shouldn't dash his Norris credentials(given playoffs don't count) but who's better than Hedman? Think he's clearly top 1-2.
Carlson is definitely top 5.

Is Chris Gibson is traveling with the team and in the bubble?

You can't really lay the early goals at the feet of Greiss. Ryan Pulock was undressed on that first goal by Brayden Point. Then shorthanded they seemed to forget that Victor Hedman existed, the same can almost be said for McDonagh. There was a point in that play (even strength McDonagh goal) where there was at least 15 feet between him and the nearest Islanders defenders and the shot he let go was just world class.

I felt like Varlamaov didn't even want to play last night. If you put stock into body language, he was disinterested at best.

I expect the Isles will come out better in game 2 (which shouldn't be hard, they couldn't be worse then last night) but this is a completely different challenge for them. Florida and Philly's top lines were completely impotent in their series' against them and for the most part they managed to hold Washington in check. Tampa Bay is a much larger monster and there's 3 lines of them.

I had originally thought TBL in 6, I may have to revise my prediction to TBL in 4 or 5.

Hedman, Josi, OEL, Carlson, Gio.
i think provorov is close to that group, he is so complete. Also, seth Jones?

You can't really lay the early goals at the feet of Greiss. Ryan Pulock was undressed on that first goal by Brayden Point. Then shorthanded they seemed to forget that Victor Hedman existed, the same can almost be said for McDonagh. There was a point in that play (even strength McDonagh goal) where there was at least 15 feet between him and the nearest Islanders defenders and the shot he let go was just world class.

I felt like Varlamaov didn't even want to play last night. If you put stock into body language, he was disinterested at best.

I expect the Isles will come out better in game 2 (which shouldn't be hard, they couldn't be worse then last night) but this is a completely different challenge for them. Florida and Philly's top lines were completely impotent in their series' against them and for the most part they managed to hold Washington in check. Tampa Bay is a much larger monster and there's 3 lines of them.

I had originally thought TBL in 6, I may have to revise my prediction to TBL in 4 or 5.
The first and third lines have been very good for the Lightning this postseason but Cirelli’s line has not been good. Most of Killorn’s contributions have been on the PP and Cirelli’s goals have been deflections on other lines. Those two with Johnson 5 on 5 can’t seem to do much and they have to stay together because the other two lines are clicking and the team is winning. Johnson has probably been the worst player on the team so far, far contrast from ‘15 when he was arguably the best player on that finals run.

The first and third lines have been very good for the Lightning this postseason but Cirelli’s line has not been good. Most of Killorn’s contributions have been on the PP and Cirelli’s goals have been deflections on other lines. Those two with Johnson 5 on 5 can’t seem to do much and they have to stay together because the other two lines are clicking and the team is winning. Johnson has probably been the worst player on the team so far, far contrast from ‘15 when he was arguably the best player on that finals run.
it's a little sad to see Tyler not being able to break through checks now, he still has the speed but no apparent escapability or way to rise above his size anymore.
Killorn has contributed a lot on the defensive end too.

If point and stamkos are out this lightning team looks a lot different.

That was a pair of some pretty soft penalties at what would seem to be a game decider

Tampa looks gassed. They’re going to have to junk one in from the point that bounces off some bum like maroon or something

I basically only watch hockey during the playoffs and holy fuck is it so intense. It's insane watching these goalies make saves!

The Islanders shit power play all season really came back to bite them in this game. Totally deflating game and I’d be surprised if they get more than a game in this series after that one.

Obviously wouldn’t be surprised if they get swept now, either.

The Islanders shit power play all season really came back to bite them in this game. Totally deflating game and I’d be surprised if they get more than a game in this series after that one.

Obviously wouldn’t be surprised if they get swept now, either.
Their power play woes pre-date Barry Trotz by several years too.

I thought for sure that when he was hired things would change there, but they're running the same tired tactics of cycle, cycle, pass, shoot the puck at Anders Lee's head and pray it bounces in. They hardly ever close down on the net. It seems like they expect Barzal to make zone entry in the middle of the ice on 2 defenders and usually a winger every time while the wingers are static, and then when Barzal inevitably turns it over there's no help and its an easy clear every time.

It was pretty much consensus that this would be an uphill battle for New York, but they've certainly not done themselves any favors either.

Oh and that backhand pass by Gourde to Kucherov to start the final sequence was fantastic, all three of those passes were. You guys see that?

So I missed the first goal yesterday, fucking nhl. That was not a goal!

if you are going to call it a goal when there is clear interference but you justify it because the d pushed the guy interfering into his own goalie, it should also apply when an opposite player pushes the d and makes him interfere with his goalie.

best example was that islanders goal against philly not too long ago when barzal just stood there. But that goal was to other way around, clutterbuck pushed bogosian right into vasy.

You can’t have it both ways....unless I am missing something?

I wonder what the live odds are for the Cup. I would have to guess that the Lightning are currently the odds on favorite.