NL West Thread

That close to a homer last night to tie the game, damn shame

what a wild card race!

The NL West is going to be the hardest division in baseball for the near future.

Dodgers (No signs of them being removed from the top other than not winning in the playoffs)
Giants (Always difficult and now with Melvin)
Padres (With that roster they'll always be a threat and Shildt is a good manager)
Diamondbacks (Young team that already made a WS run, they'll continue to be good)
Rockies (Poor Rockies, not good)

4/$80M for Eduardo seems fair for Arizona. Gallen/Kelly/Rodriguez is a very solid 1-3 and Pfaadt looked much better over the last 2-3 months... I think he's going to have a breakout campaign next year, and they've got other young arms (Jameson, Henry, Nelson, Cecconi though I imagine he'll start the season in the minors)

Glasnow to the Dodgers!!!

Glasnow to the Dodgers!!!

honestly like this better for the Rays. Yeah a healthy Glasnow is a frontline starter, but this year was only the second time in his MLB career he's thrown 100+ innings (120 at that). question with Pepiot is if he can throw a reliable third pitch, but if he can I really like him. Margot's a nice bench player, but he doesn't hit well enough to be an everyday OF and I wouldn't be surprised if Deluca outproduces him in 2024.

The NL West is going to be an absolute grind this year.

Dodgers bought roster
Diamondbacks young roster from last years WS returning
Giants always tough
Padres got talent and Shildt is probably going to do more with this group than Melvin did

The AL East may be the only other competition for more difficult division

The NL West is going to be an absolute grind this year.

Dodgers bought roster
Diamondbacks young roster from last years WS returning
Giants always tough
Padres got talent and Shildt is probably going to do more with this group than Melvin did

The AL East may be the only other competition for more difficult division

Padres also have to replace Soto and Snell's production.

D-Backs are going to be interesting. I really like their 1-4 starters (Pfaadt had a rough rookie year but looked much better after the All-Star Break and looked good in the playoffs; he needs to cut down on the home runs though), #5 is a question mark though they have plenty of young arms. Bullpen looks iffy, but some of those young arms could play a role in the pen. I really like what they've got going with their position players and it'll be interesting to see if any of Thomas/McCarthy/Lawlar step up this year

I think it'll be a tough division, but right now it doesn't feel like anyone really stacks up to LA. Closest team per FanGraphs' Depth Charts projections is Arizona, and they're projected to finish 2nd by 9 games.

Rockies are... well, the Rockies.

Last edited:
dodgers take it by 15 but very interesting to be sure.
It's going to be if whoever places 2nd can do enough to make it into the post-season. With the NL East putting out Phillies, Braves, Mets, and probably a good Marlins team, if you don't win your division making the post-season is going to be very difficult. Huge battle ahead this season in the NL.

It's going to be if whoever places 2nd can do enough to make it into the post-season. With the NL East putting out Phillies, Braves, Mets, and probably a good Marlins team, if you don't win your division making the post-season is going to be very difficult. Huge battle ahead this season in the NL.
Marlins are going to be on a downswing, they did well last year, but the team sucks. Who the fuck is even on the Mets? Braves are the class of the NL East, Phillies will limp in behind them, though if they got Snell.... who knows. That said Dodgers and Braves winning their respective divisions is inevitable.

If he clears waivers J.D. Davis should fire his agent. I would fire him either way, you just can't whiff on a detail like this when it's your job.

"If Davis goes unclaimed, the Giants could potentially release him and only be on the hook for a prorated portion of his salary. Because Davis beat the Giants in an arbitration hearing last month, his full salary is not guaranteed under the current rules of the Collective Bargaining Agreement."

If Davis had not gone to arbitration and had signed the Giants' offer his salary would be guaranteed and they would not be able to waive him so cheaply. He basically gave that guarantee up for a chance at an extra $350K in arbitration. Even if some of the blame/fault should fall on Davis I have trouble seeing a scenario where his agent didn't also drop the ball here.