Ohio State Has A New OC

Hartline is majorly involved already the recruiting on offense as a whole so as long as he's around it's all good.

As far as continuity, keeping Pantoni in place for as long as we have has been awesome

Bill O'Brien saw Wink Martindale get hired and ran the other way.They faced each other three times in the NFL as the play callers.Bill's teams went 0-3, scored 30 total points and gave up 13 sacks. His teams averaged just 272 total yards per game.

Saw this message today -- explains why BoB left OAM.

Bill O'Brien saw Wink Martindale get hired and ran the other way.They faced each other three times in the NFL as the play callers.Bill's teams went 0-3, scored 30 total points and gave up 13 sacks. His teams averaged just 272 total yards per game.

Saw this message today -- explains why BoB left OAM.
I could explain what an asshole you are, but you would never get it.

I could explain what an asshole you are, but you would never get it.
Relax -- I know why he went to BC. It is just a joke. OAM fans have lost their sense of humor since UM has been bullying them.

Relax -- I know why he went to BC. It is just a joke. OAM fans have lost their sense of humor since UM has been bullying them.
I said what I said.

It's almost impossible to get long term continuity if you are winning at a high level which Ohio State should be aiming for first and foremost.
Hartline is majorly involved already the recruiting on offense as a whole so as long as he's around it's all good.
You need your OC to be recruiting. Sure, continuity is tough ... it's what ultimately slowed down Bama. But you don't purposely bring in a short-timer. I've said that you upgraded, so I am just pointing out some truisms ... not attacking your selection.

You need your OC to be recruiting. Sure, continuity is tough ... it's what ultimately slowed down Bama. But you don't purposely bring in a short-timer. I've said that you upgraded, so I am just pointing out some truisms ... not attacking your selection.

You hire who you think is best for the job, not who you think is going to be there for the longest.

At its current trajectory, you shouldn't expect Georgia to hold onto an offensive or defensive coordinator past three seasons.

You hire who you think is best for the job, not who you think is going to be there for the longest.

At its current trajectory, you shouldn't expect Georgia to hold onto an offensive or defensive coordinator past three seasons.
You do both. You want the best guy, obviously, but you also want continuity. That's why I pointed out that Bama's drop off in the last 4 years of Saban's reign was a result of losing great coaches - Smart in particular.

As for UGA, Smart hired Bobo because he knew he would be there for the long run. By long run I mean 5+ years. And, our DC has been there for 3 years, and will be there for a few more before moving on to be a HC. Smart made those hires in effort to create continuity. He understands how valuable that is for high school recruiting.

FWIW, I get the idea that coaches at good programs move on. UGA has already lost its share of coordinators.

You do both. You want the best guy, obviously, but you also want continuity. That's why I pointed out that Bama's drop off in the last 4 years of Saban's reign was a result of losing great coaches - Smart in particular.

As for UGA, Smart hired Bobo because he knew he would be there for the long run. By long run I mean 5+ years. And, our DC has been there for 3 years, and will be there for a few more before moving on to be a HC. Smart made those hires in effort to create continuity. He understands how valuable that is for high school recruiting.

FWIW, I get the idea that coaches at good programs move on. UGA has already lost its share of coordinators.

Wasn't your DC Lanning before this one? He has only been at Oregon two seasons going into his third. Did Kirby not make Lannings hire hoping for continuity as well?

Bobo has been there one season and had already left before to become a HC under Richt, correct? What makes you confident that you will get 5+ out of him?

I mean, Georgia is a different animal than Ohio State right now. I fully expect them to slide right into Bama's spot of a legit contender every year. (Maybe not with quite as many natties) but for a higher level school, 3 seasons out of a coordinator is continuity. Hopefully you can keep the other assistants longer.

Wasn't your DC Lanning before this one? He has only been at Oregon two seasons going into his third. Did Kirby not make Lannings hire hoping for continuity as well?

Bobo has been there one season and had already left before to become a HC under Richt, correct? What makes you confident that you will get 5+ out of him?

I mean, Georgia is a different animal than Ohio State right now. I fully expect them to slide right into Bama's spot of a legit contender every year. (Maybe not with quite as many natties) but for a higher level school, 3 seasons out of a coordinator is continuity. Hopefully you can keep the other assistants longer.
Our DC is in his third year, and he already has turned down offers. He's young. He's going to take the route that Smart took ... stay a long time under Smart and then move to a prime HC job. Keep in mind that we have Muschamp in the background, and Schuman's replacement was just brought in - T-Rob.

Bobo isn't likely to get a HC offer any time soon. He didn't have a good experience at CSU. He will need to be a UGA for 4-5 years in order to earn that opportunity. His son is on the UGA team and will be for at least another 3 years, so he will want to stay at least until he is done. Look, a lot of people didn't like the Bobo hire ... they were idiots ... but they felt it was a safe hire for someone who would stay around for a while, not someone they thought was the best.

I really don't think we are that far off. We both agree that really good programs are going to lose their coaches. It's just the way it goes. If you are really good, coaching is a part of that and other schools want a part of that. I just think that you invest more in a coach who is more likely to stay longer than one who is likely to be gone within a year or two, if you can do that. Who knows, maybe this is exactly what Kelly wants ... no HC responsibility, a great roster, and a place he might be able to settle into for a while. I don't think NFL or CFB HC jobs will be coming his way too soon after the Eagles and UCLA.

To show this is never perfect:

- Smart promoted James Coley to OC for continuity and recruiting. That failed miserably and he destroyed Fromm.
- Monken was the best OC we've ever had - he was not a good recruiter, he didn't like it at all and didn't go on the road that much.

Our DC is in his third year, and he already has turned down offers. He's young. He's going to take the route that Smart took ... stay a long time under Smart and then move to a prime HC job. Keep in mind that we have Muschamp in the background, and Schuman's replacement was just brought in - T-Rob.

Bobo isn't likely to get a HC offer any time soon. He didn't have a good experience at CSU. He will need to be a UGA for 4-5 years in order to earn that opportunity. His son is on the UGA team and will be for at least another 3 years, so he will want to stay at least until he is done. Look, a lot of people didn't like the Bobo hire ... they were idiots ... but they felt it was a safe hire for someone who would stay around for a while, not someone they thought was the best.

I really don't think we are that far off. We both agree that really good programs are going to lose their coaches. It's just the way it goes. If you are really good, coaching is a part of that and other schools want a part of that. I just think that you invest more in a coach who is more likely to stay longer than one who is likely to be gone within a year or two, if you can do that. Who knows, maybe this is exactly what Kelly wants ... no HC responsibility, a great roster, and a place he might be able to settle into for a while. I don't think NFL or CFB HC jobs will be coming his way too soon after the Eagles and UCLA.

To show this is never perfect:

- Smart promoted James Coley to OC for continuity and recruiting. That failed miserably and he destroyed Fromm.
- Monken was the best OC we've ever had - he was not a good recruiter, he didn't like it at all and didn't go on the road that much.

Yeah and I don't think that Ohio State normally looks for the stop gap coach (for lack of a better term) that they have with BoB and the Chip. They are just in a unique situation where they really don't want to lose Hartline bc the guy basically gets whatever receiver he wants and then develops them on top of that but he isn't ready to play call yet

We'll see. He is a terrible recruiter and that's a large part of the job. I do think he's better than BOB.
I've never heard how he is as a recruiter one way or another but I'm not too worried about it, especially with Day freed up to focus on it more. As long as he can call a competent game with the wealth of weapons he has, that's all we need.

Curious what @OregonDucks thinks about Chip being on the OSU staff?
he's a sad lil' ducky.

Sad Ennui GIF by Sarah & Duck