Password management

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 112.00
It's past time for me to get something figured out and stick with it going forward.

I just got advice that the best password is three random words with a uppercase/number/symbol combo included.

Do I use a password or should I use a password manager?

4 random numbers, upper-case letter, then 3 more random numbers, lower-case letter, and one of the symbols on the number keys at the top of the keyboard. that's been my format for probably the last 20 years or so.

4 random numbers, upper-case letter, then 3 more random numbers, lower-case letter, and one of the symbols on the number keys at the top of the keyboard. that's been my format for probably the last 20 years or so.
what I just saw said that memorizing three random words and adding the uppercase/number/symbol combo is best because it's longer and easier to remember.

I have a password right now that looks like random characters but means something to me. Basically unhackable but I've been using it everywhere for a dozen years.

I need to put some effort into what I'm going to use going forward.

Anyone have experience with password managers?

I also use 2FA on important sites.

what I just saw said that memorizing three random words and adding the uppercase/number/symbol combo is best because it's longer and easier to remember.

I have a password right now that looks like random characters but means something to me. Basically unhackable but I've been using it everywhere for a dozen years.

Being in the apple ecosystem, I exclusively use keychain anymore. Before that I had an app called pwSafe that worked great. Would do the same and create a unique hash like password. But it wasn't integrated to anything so I always had to go to it and open, one click copy, and go back to paste.

Being in the apple ecosystem, I exclusively use keychain anymore. Before that I had an app called pwSafe that worked great. Would do the same and create a unique hash like password. But it wasn't integrated to anything so I always had to go to it and open, one click copy, and go back to paste.
Such a hard decision: trade convenience for security or not?

I think I've been starting to use the google password manager because I'll use a auto-generated one on my laptop, then try to log in on my phone, and then I'm screwed.

I need to pick a good one I can use all over. Which, to me, means some CAPS, some lowercase two numbers and a symbol. For the spots that make me change my password every few months (MY JOB!!) I can just rotate out the numbers & symbol.

Such a hard decision: trade convenience for security or not?
I used to have one main password for a lot more sites than I should have. Now though I use the keychain hash for everything. I'm screwed if I ever have to log into something using my PS5 or TV browser. :dhd:

What's crazy to me is that Apple will tell you how many sites you are using a password on that has been compromised. I still have a very long list of those, but none that have sensitive info.

That's sort of my system. I have three characters in the password I can change if needed and I'll still be able to memorize it.
I got that "password breach" notification, so I started to go through and change them all to something new, then got the bright idea that maybe I should put the capital letter in the middle after changing about 40 so now I can't remember which are which so I get locked out constantly or have to "forgot password" everything. One day, when i've got absolutely nothing better to do, I'll go back and change them again, but man... I wish this covid shot's microchip would work better so I could just nudge my arm against the screen or something.

What's crazy to me is that Apple will tell you how many sites you are using a password on that has been compromised. I still have a very long list of those, but none that have sensitive info.
I had an annual subscription to Duolingo with about six months left on it and my old password got hacked. Duolingo never responded and I lost about $50. :mad:

It's past time for me to get something figured out and stick with it going forward.

I just got advice that the best password is three random words with a uppercase/number/symbol combo included.

Do I use a password or should I use a password manager?
Depends on what the password is for, for banking/cc and important things i use strong sentence passwords and replace letters with numbers or symbols and change those at least once a year.

for things like forums.... meh ill use the same damn generic password cuz if someone steals my tnation account well ill just make a new one

I use LastPass but they have limited usage of their free app to just one device, so my browser add on doesn't work for Chrome and that's annoying AF

But I still like it better than letting Google manage it for me

It‘s all a pain the ass. I had a bunch of shit auto-drafted off my debit card (don’t do that, by the way) and my card got compromised. I had to try to remember the passwords to all of these sites I never go to so I could change my payment method. There has to be a better way.

I use LastPass but they have limited usage of their free app to just one device, so my browser add on doesn't work for Chrome and that's annoying AF

But I still like it better than letting Google manage it for me
Yeah, every day, I get more and more google-phobic.