Question for NFL/CFB fan interest

The Texans are way more popular than the Cougars in Houston.

Although, there are probably more Longhorn fans than Texans fans in Houston.

When the Titans moved to Nashville it really cleaned up the Tennessee fan base. 30 years ago it was white trash city in Knoxville during a game but now much more of a family atmosphere. NFL was great for the Vols.
All the trash must have moved to Memphis.

High school football in Texas is bigger than college or pro.
HS is a big deal, but not bigger than CFB or NFL in the city or suburbs. Maybe in rural 2A or 3A towns, or 6-man land.

When you have an NFL team and CFB team in the same city, which has more dedicated fan/more media attention?

When you have an NFL team in the same state as CFB which has more dedicated fans/more media attention?

I think cities the NFL team dominates whereas in a state I think there’s higher potential that a CFB program takes superiority. IE, falcons/UGA, Titans/Volunteers, LSU/Saints.

Florida, California and Texas can’t really apply to this question. Too big and have too many of everything.
You cant really simple it down to markets. Just use your examples. Titans vs Vandy, Falcons vs Georgia Tech, and Saints vs Tulane.

HS is a big deal, but not bigger than CFB or NFL in the city or suburbs. Maybe in rural 2A or 3A towns, or 6-man land.
Maybe in viewership. But overall interest, I disagree.

Maybe in viewership. But overall interest, I disagree.
Your neck of the woods differs from D/FW then. People here pay attention to HS, but aren't going out of their way to travel with the team. or CFB and the Cowboys they do.

And Aggies.
Maybe it was just that particular radio audience but I remember Gary Kubiak was so hated in Houston and the #1 reason her was hated on was because he was an Aggie.

It always felt like the Texans fans on Sports Radio 610 always looked at the team through burnt oramge sunglasses.

Your neck of the woods differs from D/FW then. People here pay attention to HS, but aren't going out of their way to travel with the team. or CFB and the Cowboys they do.
I spend a lot of time in the Southlake Carroll/Keller area too. That's the suburbs ain't it? And Aledo? Argyle? DeSoto? Duncanville?

I spend a lot of time in the Southlake Carroll/Keller area too. That's the suburbs ain't it? And Aledo? Argyle? DeSoto? Duncanville?
Yes, and no one in Southlake that isn't in HS has a dragon sticker on their car. But they all have their A&M, Horns, or TT badge on their car.

So presented. UT national title or titans Super Bowl, which you taking and in your opinion what’s majority of Tennesseeans answer
Im doin college 100 time out of 100 but TV numbers would say Im in the minority So, I'd GUESS a super bowl would take the majority but that's all it would be for me, a guess. Gonna be big numbers either way.

Seattle - the Seahawks are followed more than the Huskies

that's also a different kind of conversation

my kids playing hs football is a lot more personal to me than what is done in college or pros. the rush of cheering for your kids is a different animal

NFL overall but it's region specific. In the South college still rules, in the NE it's the NFL by a longshot.

Besides that the next biggest predictor is the success or hype around each on any given year.

When you have an NFL team and CFB team in the same city, which has more dedicated fan/more media attention?

When you have an NFL team in the same state as CFB which has more dedicated fans/more media attention?

I think cities the NFL team dominates whereas in a state I think there’s higher potential that a CFB program takes superiority. IE, falcons/UGA, Titans/Volunteers, LSU/Saints.

Florida, California and Texas can’t really apply to this question. Too big and have too many of everything.
Living here, while there is a lot of love/support for the Gators, Noles, and UCF ( Canes to a much lesser extent), there is by far more support for the Bucs, Dolphins and Jags. Also, with so many transplants from up north, you see a lot of stickers/license plates for the Steelers, Bills, Eagles, Giants, Pats, etc.

It's interesting in LA.

I'd say that when it comes to football, over the years, USC has had more of a following, especially when they're winning. But I think at least some of that is because between moving to Anaheim, then St. Louis, then coming back to LA, the Rams lost a lot of folks.

They also were always kind of behind the Lakers and Dodgers as well.

Last edited: