Question for NFL/CFB fan interest

It's interesting in LA.

I'd say that when it comes to football, over the years, USC has had more of a following, especially when they're winning. But I think at least some of that is because between moving to Anaheim, then St. Louis, then coming back to LA, they lost a lot of folks.

They also were always kind of behind the Lakers and Dodgers as well.
Got a lot of family there, I know when they were there, the Raiders had a huge following.

Got a lot of family there, I know when they were there, the Raiders had a huge following.

Yeah, they were more popular than the Rams and they're still really popular in Vegas. They may have the most loyal fanbase in sports.

For the Michigan mitten, I'd say the Lions come out on top, but the UP is Packers country. A Michigan school football natty or a Michigan Tech college hockey natty wins. Possibly even a Red Wings Stanley Cup.

As I’ve said a million times, as much as we love cfb, it’s the JV compared to the nfl. This is a silly question.

The only temp exception would be if Mobile or Montgomery got an nfl franchise.

Bama would dominate until Saban retires and the nfl catches up. Prolly just a couple years

You find a lot more UGA fans than Falcons fans, and the Falcons can’t sell out their around 75k seat stadium while UGA always sells out their 93k seat stadium. NFL is always gonna get more national viewers, but I’d be surprised if more people in the state of GA were watching the Falcons than UGA

Titans/Tennessee is a different deal. UT is in Knoxville, and I saw more Ole Miss than TN fans during my brief stay in Memphis

Yes that was the question
He means there are a lot of Cougs in Seattle. They move over after graduating because there aren't jobs for college grads in Eastern Washington.

That's part of it, but pro ball just has more following here than all college football fans combined. Not by huge margins, but noticeable.

When you have an NFL team and CFB team in the same city, which has more dedicated fan/more media attention?

When you have an NFL team in the same state as CFB which has more dedicated fans/more media attention?

I think cities the NFL team dominates whereas in a state I think there’s higher potential that a CFB program takes superiority. IE, falcons/UGA, Titans/Volunteers, LSU/Saints.

Florida, California and Texas can’t really apply to this question. Too big and have too many of everything.

Take Ohio for an example.

Can't speak speak to Cincy, but in Cleveland the Browns are #1 and always will be. State-wide there's most likely more Buckeye fans overall but within the major cities the NFL teams take precedence in news and media coverage.

Also got to think UM dominates the Lions
Lions were selling out games while they were 0-16. Some fans even had season tickets for that debacle, like myself.

It isn't a one team or the other type of thing when you have both. I'm a die hard Lions and Michigan fan.

If a major league franchise moved to a minor league city, would the major league franchise be less popular?

Is that really the question here?

You find a lot more UGA fans than Falcons fans, and the Falcons can’t sell out their around 75k seat stadium while UGA always sells out their 93k seat stadium. NFL is always gonna get more national viewers, but I’d be surprised if more people in the state of GA were watching the Falcons than UGA

Titans/Tennessee is a different deal. UT is in Knoxville, and I saw more Ole Miss than TN fans during my brief stay in Memphis
Not surprising as Knoxville is almost 400 miles from Memphis, whereas Oxford is about 85 miles. Memphis is culturally more like MS than it is the rest of TN (especially Middle and East TN). Probably a lot of Arky fans there too.

Oh, and congrats on surviving that shithole called Memphis.

Back home it is Packers first, Badgers also-ran.
Have you seen the Bart Starr documentary: "America's Quarterback"? It's really good, and they had excellent footage from the Ice Bowl. Interestingly, I saw some Wisconsin Red in the stands! Thought that was cool. However, I know you are right about Packers First and Badgers also-ran. Just a little surprised at the Badger Red at that time. These days, everybody is in Packer Green and Yellow. At least, that's how it looks on TV. Been to Camp Randall a few times, but I have never been to Lambeau for a game.

Have you seen the Bart Starr documentary: "America's Quarterback"? It's really good, and they had excellent footage from the Ice Bowl. Interestingly, I saw some Wisconsin Red in the stands! Thought that was cool. However, I know you are right about Packers First and Badgers also-ran. Just a little surprised at the Badger Red at that time. These days, everybody is in Packer Green and Yellow. At least, that's how it looks on TV. Been to Camp Randall a few times, but I have never been to Lambeau for a game.
The red you saw was probably hunting coats. They were red before blaze orange became the standard. I still have my red insulated coveralls.

Edit: 1967, Wisconsin went 0-9-1. The start of a 23 game winless streak.

It's not even a competition. NFL viewership crushes CFB viewership.

Yeah, in regards to television viewership it isn't even close. Not even in the same universe. I read something a couple of years ago where 93 of the top 100 most watched television shows that year were NFL games. That was a staggering stat to me. And if that is the measuring stick for "interest", the NFL wins hands down.

If total number of "fans in the stands" is the measuring stick for "interest", I'd have to go the other way. And that wouldn't even be close. UT and A&M stadiums are larger than the Cowboys and the Texans so those two alone tilt live audience toward the colleges. That's not counting all the other ones like my Miners....which have fans dressed as empty seats a lot of the time.

On any given weekend here in Texas. I'll bet the total number of fans in the stands would rank:
1. Friday night high school football games total attendance
2. Saturday afternoon/night college football games total attendance
3. Sunday afternoon/night pro football games total attendance

Obviously, there would be only two NFL games on a given Sunday if Dallas and Houston both played at home. Something like 30+ college games I'm guessing if you throw in JC, NAIA, DIII and FCS as well as FBS. And a shit pot full of high school games which is why it would have the most. There are 247 6A schools and 253 5A schools. If they only have 1,000 each at their games on a given week that is half a million right there. We have several high school stadiums that hold in the 20,000 range. Hell, where I live the stadium holds 6,000 and we're only a 4A school. Which is why I said high school football has the most INTEREST...at least here in Texas.

But, I will be the first to admit that a lot of those fans at high school football games are also fans of a college and pro teams. I'd say there are at least 50 people here that attend the high school game Friday, drive to Lubbock, Fort Worth, Waco, Austin, BCS, etc on Saturday and then to Arlington to make a contribution to JJ on Sunday.

It's really a numbers game. With hundreds of CFB teams and only 32 NFL, there will be a split of viewership amongst CFB teams in the state/ region while most are fans of the area NFL team.

Also keep in mind that most of the passionate CFB fans have a tie-in to the school by being an alum or having an immediate family member being an alum. So, yes, they are passionate, but there's a lot of people in that area that didn't go to that college.

However, they all see the same local NFL team each weekend because of TV rights and are more likely to be a fan of that team.

For example, I get every Washington and Carolina NFL game in southern Virginia, even if it's a crappy match up. So just by sheer number of opportunities to see them on TV, a plurality of people in my area root for one of them, unless they grew up elsewhere and moved here. Much like watching the Cubs and Braves in the '90s on WGN and TBS, more casual fans of MLB gravitated to those teams, at least back then.

I will say that those alumni and their families probably have more passion for their college team than the local NFL team, but the numbers just aren't on their side overall.

Also, I apologize if the above post is disjointed, as I was writing it last night, but with a sick child, I got pulled away and only remembered it today.

It's really a numbers game. With hundreds of CFB teams and only 32 NFL, there will be a split of viewership amongst CFB teams in the state/ region while most are fans of the area NFL team.

Also keep in mind that most of the passionate CFB fans have a tie-in to the school by being an alum or having an immediate family member being an alum. So, yes, they are passionate, but there's a lot of people in that area that didn't go to that college.

However, they all see the same local NFL team each weekend because of TV rights and are more likely to be a fan of that team.

For example, I get every Washington and Carolina NFL game in southern Virginia, even if it's a crappy match up. So just by sheer number of opportunities to see them on TV, a plurality of people in my area root for one of them, unless they grew up elsewhere and moved here. Much like watching the Cubs and Braves in the '90s on WGN and TBS, more casual fans of MLB gravitated to those teams, at least back then.

I will say that those alumni and their families probably have more passion for their college team than the local NFL team, but the numbers just aren't on their side overall.
Hey @Cobrabit Where you live in southern VA? I reside there myself.