Rather?: .400 vs 3000

Rather?: .400 vs 3000

• 2568 hits and batted .400 in a single (qualified) season.

• 3004 hits and career average .286

Results are only viewable after voting.
3000 hits gets you into Cooperstown (minus the Hit King). A .400 season doesn't necessarily do that.
But can you imagine that season of chasing .400? That would be epic… and while it wouldn’t get “you” into the Hall, that accomplishment surely would get in.

But can you imagine that season of chasing .400? That would be epic… and while it wouldn’t get “you” into the Hall, that accomplishment surely would get in.
Closest I ever saw was Tony Gwynn, 1994, but then..................we all know what transpired.

2568 hits in a season is pretty impressive. Probably going with option B tho. 2568 hits in a season means a lot of at-bats, and I doubt they're paying me extra for all that OT.
Considering the record for at bats in a single season is 716.....

Not hits. At bats!

Then again, what else do you expect from someone who leads with his head.

Triples only get your picture on Michelob Ultra.
nah, triples gets you molson

medium_molson.jpg

doubles are obviously dos equis.

I Think You Should Leave Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

Luis Arraez appreciation thread

Would you rather have:
A. 2568 hits and batted .400 in a single (qualified) season.
B. 3004 hits and career average .286

What the hell are you asking?

2568 career hits and a single .400 season?

.400 season. Might have played 2 or 3 less seasons than a 3,000 hit guy, but the only MLB guy to hit .400 and isn't in the Hall is Shoeless Joe.

If I am a player who hit .400 there's a halfway decent chance that I died young of something that we can now easily treat. The second guy has probably got a better chance of having made it to the age of 70.

Of course I might end up as a black guy if I pick the second choice but that could be pretty interesting and fun :wink: :noidea:

.400 season. Might have played 2 or 3 less seasons than a 3,000 hit guy, but the only MLB guy to hit .400 and isn't in the Hall is Shoeless Joe.
There are more .400 hitters that aren’t in the HOF than there are 3000 hit guys that aren’t.

And 2/5 of the 3000 hit guys are Pujols and Miggy. Rose gets in when he dies. Leaving ARod and Palmiero.

There are more .400 hitters that aren’t in the HOF than there are 3000 hit guys that aren’t.

And 2/5 of the 3000 hit guys are Pujols and Miggy. Rose gets in when he dies. Leaving ARod and Palmiero.
The dudes who aren't in the Hall either are Negro Leaguers or guys who had less than 2,000 hits. Ed Delahanty has about this number of career hits and is in Cooperstown.

The dudes who aren't in the Hall either are Negro Leaguers or guys who had less than 2,000 hits. Ed Delahanty has about this number of career hits and is in Cooperstown.
Everybody with less than 2000 also has less than 3000.

Why is “getting into the hall” the default metric?
I’m asking for YOUR judgment … not you to post some other people’s hypothetical judgments.