Road to the Kentucky Derby

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 500.00
Here is the official derby leaderboard:

Caddo River sure looked impressive winning the Smarty Jones today. I believe he won by 10 lengths.

In order of what I like at this point; Essential Quality, Spielberg & Jackie's Warrior. Caddo River did look strong today, may not have been against much talent today though? Reinvestment risk is possible long shot play, looked good early, didn't look good last time out though.

In order of what I like at this point; Essential Quality, Spielberg & Jackie's Warrior. Caddo River did look strong today, may not have been against much talent today though? Reinvestment risk is possible long shot play, looked good early, didn't look good last time out though.
Baffert is absolutely loaded yet again - Spielberg, Bezos, Life is Good, Concert Tour, Medina Spirit, I’m sure a few others who have yet to run.

I don’t think Jackie’s Warrior will make much noise along the derby trail but I could be wrong. Essential Quality looks strong. Agreed that Caddo River probably didn’t run against much.

I actually think Pletcher could have two good ones with Prime Factor (love the pedigree) and Mutasaabeq. And although closers don’t generally win the Derby, I’m a little intrigued by Shug’s horse Greatest Honour.

I guess we’ll see. Always an exciting part of the year for me.

Prep races starting mid Feb and in full swing early March. Hope the Derby is ran on it's traditional date this year.

I’d bet money on the derby being run on the first Saturday in May.

The Derby Futures Pool 2 was open this weekend. I put some money on Baffert’s horse Concert Tour at 16/1. We’ll see if that works out or not. That horse looks good.

I’d bet money on the derby being run on the first Saturday in May.

The Derby Futures Pool 2 was open this weekend. I put some money on Baffert’s horse Concert Tour at 16/1. We’ll see if that works out or not. That horse looks good.
OK, so I've seen this recently, wasn't sure what it was. Sounds interesting to do. So if I bet X amount on a horse to win, obviously I'm locked into those odds. If horse doesn't, do you get your wager back?

OK, so I've seen this recently, wasn't sure what it was. Sounds interesting to do. So if I bet X amount on a horse to win, obviously I'm locked into those odds. If horse doesn't, do you get your wager back?
If the horse doesn’t run, you are out whatever your bet is. There are two ways to do it that I know of. There are some Vegas sports books that have fixed odds where you can make a bet on a horse. Then there is also a pool run by Churchhill downs, and that one you bet through your online account.

If horse doesn't run in derby, do you get refunded. That was question.

Cancel it! Kentucky is racist! They used to ride slaves!

OK, so I think you answered question. I do betting on TwinSpires.

OK, so I think you answered question. I do betting on TwinSpires.
Yeah. Sorry if it was unclear, I was voice-texting.

If the horse doesn’t run in the derby then you lose your bet.

Will be watching Holy Bull today, Sittin on Go will be running, should be favorite. Other than that race, Robert B Lewis has a few potential Derby runners in it, Spielberg likely going off as favorite in that one

Will be watching Holy Bull today, Sittin on Go will be running, should be favorite. Other than that race, Robert B Lewis has a few potential Derby runners in it, Spielberg likely going off as favorite in that one
Wrong on both of those. Sittin on Go broke bad out of the gate and could not recover. Ortiz set Greatest Honour up good on last turn on outside to fairly easy win. Medina Spirit went wire to wire, had close win beating Roman Centurian by a nose and Hot Rod Charlie close as well, Spielberg never really threatened.

Updated after this weekend's prep races. Risk Taking won the Withers and Candy Man Rocket got the wire at the Sam Davis. Concert Tour edged Freedom Fighter in the San Vicenta, G2, but is not a Derby Prep. Not sure what Baffert will do with that horse, looks like a good one. I hit the $0.10 superfecta at the Sam Davis for a nice payout of $216.00

RankHorsePtsTrainerStakes earnings*
1Essential Quality30Brad Cox$1,280,000
2Keepmeinmind18Robertino Diodoro$379,040
3Midnight Bourbon16Steve Asmussen$190,000
4Medina Spirit14Bob Baffert$80,000
5Spielberg13Bob Baffert$212,000
6Jackie's Warrior12Steve Asmussen$457,500
7Capo Kane12Harold Wyner$112,500
8Hot Rod Charlie10Doug O'Neill$352,000
9Get Her Number10Peter Miller$186,000
10Sittin On Go10Dale Romans$141,800
11Risk Taking10Chad Brown$137,500
12Candy Man Rocket10Bill Mott$120,000
13Greatest Honour10Shug McGaughey III$119,040
14Caddo River10Brad Cox$90,000
15Brooklyn Strong10Daniel Velazquez$82,500
16Life Is Good10Bob Baffert$60,000
17Cowan8Steve Asmussen$320,477
18Rombauer4Michael McCarthy$120,500
+Reinvestment Risk4Chad Brown$120,000
19Nova Rags4Bill Mott$76,000
20Super Stock4Steve Asmussen$59,000
21Tarantino4Rodolphe Brisset$58,400
22Overtook4Todd Pletcher$50,000
+Ten for Ten4Shug McGaughey III$50,000
23The Great One4Doug O'Neill$40,500
+Eagle Orb4Rudy Rodriguez$40,000
24Proxy4Mike Stidham$40,000
25Smiley Sobotka4Dale Romans$38,400
26Roman Centurian4Simon Callaghan$20,000
27Arabian Prince2Dallas Stewart$28,063
28Petruchio2Richard Mandella$24,000
29Known Agenda2Todd Pletcher$24,000
30Waspirant2John Shirreffs$24,000

El Camino & Risen Star today;

El Camino - like the Rombauer & Petruchio, Javanica along with It's My House as odds play in a tri or super.

Risen Star a bit more loaded, with Proxy, Midnight Bourbon, Senor Buscador, , Mandaloun. See that Keepmeinmind pulled out. Possible odd plays in tri or super include Sermononthemount & Santa Cruiser

Super at Risen Star - 2,5,6,11/2,5,6,11/2,5,11/1,4,5

Super at El Camino - 2,5,7,9/5,7,9/4-7/2,4,6