Road to the Kentucky Derby

99-1 blows up my super.
Closer than my bet. I needed Senor Buscador.

Derby Futures were again this weekend. I put some money on Concert Tour again.

My top 10 derby horses are currently:

1. Concert Tour
2. Essential Quality
3. Life Is Good
4. Mandaloun
5. Dream Shake
6. Greatest Honour
7. Proxy
8. Hot Rod Charlie
9. Medina Spirit
10. Defeater

My top 10 derby horses are currently:

1. Concert Tour
2. Essential Quality
3. Life Is Good
4. Mandaloun
5. Dream Shake
6. Greatest Honour
7. Proxy
8. Hot Rod Charlie
9. Medina Spirit
10. Defeater
A few others to keep eye on, IMO;

Roman Centurian
The Great One
Keepmeinmind
Jackie's Warrior
And of course my long shot, Candy Man Rocket

A few others to keep eye on, IMO;

Roman Centurian
The Great One
Keepmeinmind
Jackie's Warrior
And of course my long shot, Candy Man Rocket
Yeah. I have to watch some of those replays. I am completely out on Jackie’s Warrior though.

I want to see how JW runs in the Southwest Stakes on Sunday. He hasn't ran since BC Juvenile in November. I want to see if he fades after the 7F & 1 mile mark, seemed like couldn't get that final kick and lost speed a few lengths out at the Breeders Cup race. Has good wins prior to that race.

Southwest Stakes in Hot Springs, AR postponed until weekend of 27th

Southwest Stakes at 5:58 EST & Fountain of Youth at 6:10 EST

2021 Southwest Stakes (G3)

*Rating is based on HRN fan votes
Silks​
Horse / Sire​
Rating​
Trainer / Jockey​
Last Start​
Status​
Essential_Quality
Essential Quality
Tapit
B. Cox
L. Saez
Entered​
Saffas_Day
Saffa's Day
Carpe Diem
S. Asmussen
R. Santana, Jr.
Entered​
Last_Samurai_1
Last Samurai
Malibu Moon
D. Stewart
J. Court
Entered​
Jackies_Warrior
Jackie's Warrior
Maclean's Music
S. Asmussen
J. Rosario
Entered​
Santa_Cruiser
Santa Cruiser
Dialed In
J. Desormeaux
R. Eramia
Entered​
Woodhouse
Woodhouse
Speightstown
C. Trout
D. Cabrera
Entered​
Spielberg_2
Spielberg
Union Rags
B. Baffert
M.
Entered​

Tri at the Southwest - 6/1,4/1,4

No money in the race with Essential Quality at 1/1 and Jackie's Warrior at 1/1. Need the 6 to pull the upset

Super at Fountain Of Youth - 1,2,8/1,2,8/1,2,4,7/2,4,7

Almost. Probably needed to key the 8 up top to be able to get the 10 in there.

Essential Quality looked really good. Has to be derby favorite at this point.

Almost. Probably needed to key the 8 up top to be able to get the 10 in there.

Essential Quality looked really good. Has to be derby favorite at this point.
Yep, 10 horse messed me up. Three races next weekend. As expected, Jackie's Warrior couldn't go the distance, was a bit surprised that Spielberg got the second. I would say Essential Quality is top horse, Greatest Honuor looked good as well.

Yep, 10 horse messed me up. Three races next weekend. As expected, Jackie's Warrior couldn't go the distance, was a bit surprised that Spielberg got the second. I would say Essential Quality is top horse, Greatest Honuor looked good as well.
Essential Quality with a 96 Beyer. Pretty solid. Greatest Honour with an 89. Not bad either.

I’m still liking Concert Tour. Interested to see what he does in the Rebel in 2 weeks.

Futures Pool #4 open this weekend. Also the Oaks pool and Oaks/Derby double.

Also the Gotham Stakes, San Felipe, and Tampa Bay Derby (all 50-point derby preps). Should be an interesting weekend.

Also the Gotham Stakes, San Felipe, and Tampa Bay Derby (all 50-point derby preps). Should be an interesting weekend.
Yeah, I'll probably play all three, San Felipe looks to be toughest one to call, TB Derby has a decent lineup too. The Gotham looks to be the easiest one to call. But I'll add the Gotham has four horses coming up off of MSW wins, so usually one of those finish in the money, so need to figure out which one to look at.

Yeah, I'll probably play all three, San Felipe looks to be toughest one to call, TB Derby has a decent lineup too. The Gotham looks to be the easiest one to call. But I'll add the Gotham has four horses coming up off of MSW wins, so usually one of those finish in the money, so need to figure out which one to look at.
Who do you like? I’m thinking the pace sets up nicely for Highly Motivated. I like Weyburn as a possible longshot to run well.

Not sure about the other races. I really like Dream Shake but seems like a tough matchup.