Poll Rule change?: Dropped 3rd strike.

Get rid of batter advancing on dropped 3rd strike?

• YES.

• NO, leave it the way it is.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Seems like one broken hand could end that at bat pretty quickly :noidea:
The knob hand is still back. But the bat is angled basically right at the 1b dugout. Anything hitting it isn't going back forward into the field of play.

I thought we were getting the catcher reps here, why can't you do the pitching? :LOL:
Because kids hitting off a kid is way different than hitting off a coach. And catching practice without a hitter is worthless. I've had many players that can stand there and hit bombs off of adults. As soon as a kid is on the mound they are one foot out of the box before the pitcher even pushes off. It's all mental and no kid trusts the other kids.

Yeah, but you were bunting for a hit. Bunting to hit foul is a lot easier.

I guess I thought that bunting for hits and sacrifices might have given me some similar experience that could be used to inform this opinion/calculation. What league did you play in where bunting foul was a common goal/tactic? :wink:

The knob hand is still back. But the bat is angled basically right at the 1b dugout. Anything hitting it isn't going back forward into the field of play.

And all you have to do is pool cue an Aroldis Chapman pitch like that. It's so easy!

I guess I thought that bunting for hits and sacrifices might have given me some similar experience that could be used to inform this opinion/calculation. What league did you play in where bunting foul was a common goal/tactic? :wink:
None, but it's still the reason why if you bunt 3rd strike you are out.

And all you have to do is pool cue an Aroldis Chapman pitch like that. It's so easy!
I don't think you are understanding what I am saying. You typically keep the knob end back to "square" to bunt. You played in HS, you know this. By pushing the knob forward you are just angling the ball to the foul territory. Not trying to hit the ball with the knob.

I don't think you are understanding what I am saying. You typically keep the knob end back to "square" to bunt. You played in HS, you know this. By pushing the knob forward you are just angling the ball to the foul territory. Not trying to hit the ball with the knob.

I mean, I see what you meant now, I am surprised that you didn't see what I was confused about when I asked.

"I can push the knob of the bat forward and catch the ball *with the barrel* over to foul territory on any pitch over the plate."

Not trying to be a dick once again but that would have fixed it :wink: Sorry, we were on very different pages for much of this discussion.

I understand that you were probably thinking that what I was imagining was a little out there but this whole scenario is kinda out there :lol:
I guess I was thinking that the knob would increase the odds of foulness on contact (while significantly decreasing the odds of contact of course!)

Last edited:
I think we should do away with foul lines. No matter where the ball is hit (even in the stands) its a live ball.

Bases at 90 yards instead of ft to even things out. There will be zero fat guys in baseball.

Take away the netting. You'll just have to pay attention.

None, but it's still the reason why if you bunt 3rd strike you are out.

I get that, I already said that and already added that I have no problem with the rule. You implied that I didn't know the relative difficulty of bunting into foul territory because I had a lack of personal experience doing so, so I inquired about yours.

I mean, I see what you meant now, I am surprised that you didn't see what I was confused about when I asked.

"I can push the knob of the bat forward and catch the ball *with the barrel* over to foul territory on any pitch over the plate."

Not trying to be a dick once again but that would have fixed it :wink: Sorry, we were on very different pages for much of this discussion.

I understand that you were probably thinking that what I was imagining was a little out there but this whole scenario is kinda out there :lol:
I guess I was thinking that the knob would increase the odds of foulness on contact (while significantly decreasing the odds of contact of course!)
Gotcha, my bad. Yeah I just meant aim for foul territory. To my kids I tell them to angle their bunts by pushing the knob out or bring the top hand back.

I get that, I already said that and already added that I have no problem with the rule. You implied that I didn't know the relative difficulty of bunting into foul territory because I had a lack of personal experience doing so, so I inquired about yours.
wait, when did I question your experience? I never meant to say anything negative about your experience or level of skill. :noidea:

Gotcha, my bad. Yeah I just meant aim for foul territory. To my kids I tell them to angle their bunts by pushing the knob out or bring the top hand back.

I'm not gonna lie, I can't say for sure that you're "wrong" because as I said, I don't think I have ever actually attempted to bunt a ball intentionally foul. I'm almost tempted to go to a batting cage and see how many tokens it takes before I miss one or get one into the open part.

Right now, you can run to first as a batter on a dropped third strike…
… but only if the base is unoccupied…
… unless it’d be this third out…
… then all forced runners have to advance
… and if the throw from the catcher hits you, you’re out for runner interference…
… unless you’re running in the 45’ runners box…
… but sometimes they let you step out with one foot, it’s up to the umpire…
… and you can also interfere even if it doesn’t hit you, all you have to do is be deemed by the ump to interfere with the throw…
… and that judgment is not reviewable.

OR you can just sit your ass down if you strike out, like I’m suggesting.

wait, when did I question your experience? I never meant to say anything negative about your experience or level of skill. :noidea:

No no, you're taking what I said too literally and seriously, we're good.

I just meant that you said that I had never tried to bunt foul in a game, just fair. That was the "experience" I was referring to.

And I was basically saying

Meme Reaction GIF

Right now, you can run to first as a batter on a dropped third strike…
… but only if the base is unoccupied…
… unless it’d be this third out…
… then all forced runners have to advance
… and if the throw from the catcher hits you, you’re out for runner interference…
… unless you’re running in the 45’ runners box…
… but sometimes they let you step out with one foot, it’s up to the umpire…
… and you can also interfere even if it doesn’t hit you, all you have to do is be deemed by the ump to interfere with the throw…
… and that judgment is not reviewable.

OR you can just sit your ass down if you strike out, like I’m suggesting.
and most MLB'ers do just give themselves up if they strike out and the ball hits the dirt. But a handful of times each year someone looks really silly swinging at a ball way down in the dirt that then gets to the backstop and it provides some entertainment. It's not a rule that impacts 99.99% of the game.

No no, you're taking what I said too literally and seriously, we're good.

I just meant that you said that I had never tried to bunt foul in a game, just fair. That was the "experience" I was referring to.

And I was basically saying

Meme Reaction GIF
haha, ok all good. Me saying you never practiced to bunt foul was just a guess, kinda like I bet you never practiced to try to strike out. :)

haha, ok all good. Me saying you never practiced to bunt foul was just a guess, kinda like I bet you never practiced to try to strike out. :)

You obviously never talked to my dad, not only did I probably practice it but it was all just an attempt to embarrass him anyway :wink: :noidea: