Shohei Ohtani

Yesterday: Ohtani strikes out 12 over 7.0 innings and allows only 1 earned run. Angels lose 2-0. Rinse. Repeat.

angels are 8th in runs and middle of the pack in ERA.

they can be buyers at the trade deadline and get 1 or 2 more arms and 1 more hitter.

168 OPS+ (leads AL)
138 ERA+ (7th best in AL)

5.1 WAR, closest is Wander at 3.8

His contract is gonna set records. I wouldn’t want to give him the super long contracts, something like 4 years, 240 million, would still feel like a bargain

Yesterday: Ohtani strikes out 12 over 7.0 innings and allows only 1 earned run. Angels lose 2-0. Rinse. Repeat.
No team wastes talent better than the Los Angeles Angels from a city in a completely different county.

No team wastes talent better than the Los Angeles Angels from a city in a completely different county.
The Mets. It’s where top free agents go to die. If Ohtani signs with the Mets, he’ll turn into Jordan Lyles on the mound and late career Chris Davis at the plate

His contract is gonna set records. I wouldn’t want to give him the super long contracts, something like 4 years, 240 million, would still feel like a bargain
5 years should be the max for every pro sports contract, but GMs are stupid.

Nah. 5 years. For every "successful" contract over 5 years, there are 20 contracts that aged poorly.
If the guy was a teenager when he broke into the league and is still in his mid 20’s when he hits free agency, I’m fine with 10 years.

If the guy was a teenager when he broke into the league and is still in his mid 20’s when he hits free agency, I’m fine with 10 years.

Someone wanna ask San Diego how that 14-year contract Tatis signed at 22 has gone after 2.25 years? (spoiler alert: filled with injuries and suspensions and zero plate appearances in the postseason)

Nah, 5 years. Good max, regardless.

Someone wanna ask San Diego how that 14-year contract Tatis signed at 22 has gone after 2.25 years? (spoiler alert: filled with injuries and suspensions and zero plate appearances in the postseason)

Nah, 5 years. Good max, regardless.
Ok, how has the Harper 13 year deal looked so far? An MVP and a WS appearance.

You’re not gonna land many free agents worth having with your mindset

You’re not gonna land many free agents worth having with your mindset
Like I said to start with, GMs are stupid. They hand out contracts with stupid terms and end up regretting 95% of them. If they were smart, everyone would have that 5-year rule. If it was up to me I'd have it in every sports league CBA to save dumb GMs from themselves.

And since you brought up Harper, he scored his MVP and WS in the first five years of that contract. A few years from now the Phillies will be anxiously anticipating his contract to expire like they did with Ryan Howard not long before that Harper contract got penned... Except this time they'll still be staring down five more years of toting around that franchise anchor.

Like I said to start with, GMs are stupid. They hand out contracts with stupid terms and end up regretting 95% of them. If they were smart, everyone would have that 5-year rule. If it was up to me I'd have it in every sports league CBA to save dumb GMs from themselves.

And since you brought up Harper, he scored his MVP and WS in the first five years of that contract. A few years from now the Phillies will be anxiously anticipating his contract to expire like they did with Ryan Howard not long before that Harper contract got penned... Except this time they'll still be staring down five more years of toting around that franchise anchor.
We’ll see, and the player’s union would never go for that.

Every deal is a gamble, but if you don’t gamble, you’re not gonna win, and a guy like Ohtani is gonna bring in so much money from Japanese advertisers that it’ll be a lot easier to swing his deal

We’ll see, and the player’s union would never go for that.

Every deal is a gamble, but if you don’t gamble, you’re not gonna win, and a guy like Ohtani is gonna bring in so much money from Japanese advertisers that it’ll be a lot easier to swing his deal
Yeah, I severely doubt it would ever happen; but it would be the smart thing to do. C.R.E.A.M.

Giving Ohtani $50M/y over 5 years would be massive, but within reason as his contract would expire when he's 33 and should still be reasonably productive. Give him more term than that, it's a pretty dang good bet that any years beyond that 5th year will be a heavy anchor to the franchise.

Yeah, I severely doubt it would ever happen; but it would be the smart thing to do. C.R.E.A.M.

Giving Ohtani $50M/y over 5 years would be massive, but within reason as his contract would expire when he's 33 and should still be reasonably productive. Give him more term than that, it's a pretty dang good bet that any years beyond that 5th year will be a heavy anchor to the franchise.
I’m betting he’s gonna get more per year for less time. Right now you’re essentially paying for an elite DH and an elite SP, but odds are as he ages, he won’t be able to do both at a high level

I’m betting he’s gonna get more per year for less time. Right now you’re essentially paying for an elite DH and an elite SP, but odds are as he ages, he won’t be able to do both at a high level

This I completely agree with. I would be on board with >$50M/y for <5 years, but I think there are a lot of retarded GMs with their bid paddles already cocked to give him a term > 5 years. Personally, I expect he gets at least 7.

This I completely agree with. I would be on board with >$50M/y for <5 years, but I think there are a lot of retarded GMs with their bid paddles already cocked to give him a term > 5 years. Personally, I expect he gets at least 7.
7 wouldn’t be too bad.

"At least we still have a good hitter/pitcher" is a very high floor though. Owners are probably more agreeable when it comes to giving term to that type of guy.

If you don’t give the long contract, then you have to give much bigger/year short contracts. It’s all a negotiation. Why are you guys carrying on like it isn’t?