So who has their original birth certificate??

I have my original Social Security card. Paper. 1960.
I have my original paper card birth certificate from 1960 as well, but I did spend the 25 bucks and 15 minutes at city Hall 5 years ago to get a full sized copy that was stamped so I could get my passport.

My license expires next month so I decided to get a "Real ID' that will allow air travel should I decide to do so. So I end up going to the DMV which is akin to having a drano enema, stand in line and go through all of their bullshit only to find out that my certified birth certificate copy is not sufficient forcing me to go to the Health Dept and pay 20 bones for a "certified" certified copy if that makes sense.

For Christ Sake, I am 62 years old. Who the hell my age has their original birth certificate. If you ask me, these is only a ruse by Homeland Security to line the pockets of local government. I went there with a tax bill, a copy of my W2, and all sorts of other shit to prove who I was yet still needed an effin birth certificate. Fuck that noise.
I have been self employed most of my life.
Can you imagine when I was asked for my Social Security Card?
I'm like, WTF? That is for my employees!
I now have a birth cert. I am "baby boy"
I had to get an affidavit from my mother.
She is now dead. If I lose that affidavit then what do I do?

It's an end-around to installing a National ID card. I find it difficult to believe that the country will really restrict all air travel, unless you have a passport or Real ID, by next year, I think it is. At the very least, that deadline will get extended.
You're not getting on my jet!

Pretty sure I have mine in a scrapbook somewhere.

I just use my Passport. That's the BEST identification source you can hold and as long as you keep using it it's good to go. But I do have my original birth certificate and I'm 60. I keep all that important stuff in my safety deposit box.

I somehow managed to save my original birth certificate AND my original SS card, which isn’t even laminated. And this is from a guy who loses his car keys about 3 times a year.

Went to the DMV last month. Had to make an appointment online and wait 3 weeks. All I needed to do was show them my motorcycle certificate so I can get my endorsement on my license. Since I’m in the renewal window they said I had to renew it.

DMV “do you have you birth certificate or passport?”

me “no”

DMV “you need one of those to renew your license.”

me “I can run home and get my passport and be back in an hour.”

DMV “were born in the state? If so you can go to the county clerk office and have them print up a copy of your birth certificate. Their office is across the street.”

me “what do I need to get a copy of my birth certificate?”

DMV “your drivers license”

me [sigh]

I have one (Real ID), but I have no idea when I got it. I don't travel much, so I didn't even know what it was until I Googled it, just now.

I have mine. My wife keeps all that stuff in one of our safes

So I got my BC in the mail and went back to the DMV. Seeing as I finally had all of my required paperwork for the fancy schmancy ID, I just needed to take an eye test which only consisted of reading the 3 largest lines of letters and a recognizing a blinking light in my peripheral vision.

Da fuq??? No depth perception test, no identifying signs, etc. Can't believe that is all they require to pass a vision test. The way some people drive, you would think they would make license renewal much more difficult.