Stone + wood cabin

So talking with a builder I respect highly and the mason it appears that if I’m on bedrock I can start building 12” thick rock walls right off the ground.

only thing is if there are cracks and the bedrock shifted up or down, seems then the answer is drilling into bedrock then placing rebar in the bedrock and that holds the walls. I’m tempted to do it anyway unless it’s a lot more cost.

but the builder liked the idea overall.

So talking with a builder I respect highly and the mason it appears that if I’m on bedrock I can start building 12” thick rock walls right off the ground.

only thing is if there are cracks and the bedrock shifted up or down, seems then the answer is drilling into bedrock then placing rebar in the bedrock and that holds the walls. I’m tempted to do it anyway unless it’s a lot more cost.

but the builder liked the idea overall.
Pretty sure I would drill and epoxy some rebar into the rock.

Pretty sure I would drill and epoxy some rebar into the rock.
Down to bedrock footers are about 2’ deep and 2’ wide. Mix with rock with rebar in those. Stone on top of that with rebar sticking up about ever 4-5’. First 3 feet the walls will be 12” thick

1C77183E-7636-4203-9487-DDA799653EDD.jpeg

Down to bedrock footers are about 2’ deep and 2’ wide. Mix with rock with rebar in those. Stone on top of that with rebar sticking up about ever 4-5’. First 3 feet the walls will be 12” thick

View attachment 11153
Cool shit. Keep posting progress. Looks good so far

@SJ76 where are "WE" at with this project? The shit looked badass, and I feel like I am entitled to an update.

After all, you sent me down a man vs earth youtube rabit hole for no less than 2 days.

@SJ76 where are "WE" at with this project? The shit looked badass, and I feel like I am entitled to an update.

After all, you sent me down a man vs earth youtube rabit hole for no less than 2 days.

My mason lost a worker plus the cold weather isn’t great for the mortar so they are working when it’s decent weather.

183F5EB6-DA0F-46A0-82C4-008096A44DAF.jpeg

So what are you thinking about doing for flooring. Looks like a portion of the rock wall will be exposed from the inside. Just curious. Looking good though man.

First 3-4 feet on inside is stone. Then fireplace wall is 12” thick stone all the way up. Should keep cool in summer. Warm in winter

Flooring is stone. Large 1-2” thick pieces that are fairly large

First 3-4 feet on inside is stone. Then fireplace wall is 12” thick stone all the way up. Should keep cool in summer. Warm in winter

Flooring is stone. Large 1-2” thick pieces that are fairly large
I could tell by the window framing. Good luck brother