The beginning of the end of the NCAA as we know it ...

This isn't how it's going to work, in my opinion. Here's why:

1. Who in that group is going to be willing to be the Vanderbilt of the group? Wins and losses are zero-sum. Obviously, each game has a winner and loser. With that conference, some of those teams will lose 6-9 games a year. Who is going to sign up for that? Which media company is going to pay for that?

2. The B1G and the SEC will be in charge, but my guess is that most of the P5 will all be in whatever group they break off with. Maybe around 60 teams. They will set some type of arrangement where you contract with football players, perhaps other athletes. But it will be more of a P5/G5 split.

3. While the B1G and SEC are stepping up, neither is going to give up their power. As an initial thought, who would be the commissioner of the conference you have above? You think either the B1G or SEC commissioner is going to get rid of their position?

I agree. This isn't the start of a super conference IMO or a break away from the NCAA. This is about more autonomy in football decisions and getting ready for a collective bargaining agreement with the players. As long as the NCAA doesn't fight it, the schools will remain in the NCAA IMO.

To add on to what you said, the conference already have competing media companies invested in them. A super league would be messy and complicated and I'm not sure anyone really wants it.

Dude, you sound like Fauci bragging about how he's the father of COVID.
No. He’s taking credit for falsehood. I’ve been choo-chooing this truth train for a very long time.
🚂

Just a taste…
1706976772827.png

Another taste…
1706976918902.png

Who are the 64?

More like a Super League made up of the two power conferences.
If that is the direction, I would expect several more teams added, then each conference broken down into divisions, much like the NFL is set up. With a playoff model that mirrors the NFL as well.
SEC currently will be at 16.
B1G currently will be at 18.

I think per your plan the number would need to be divisible by 4 so that makes 20 schools kind of the max (no way there are 14 more schools worth taking if they went to 24). So that means 6 schools to be added and the true candidates that I see would be:

Notre Dame
FSU
Clemson
North Carolina
Duke (Adding both UNC and Duke to a conference would enhance basketball reputation overnight)
Virginia (B1G target due to academics and AAU)
Miami

Others that would probably be mentioned but I wouldn't take them:

Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech

B1G gets two and ND makes the most sense and then Miami or Virgina.

SEC needs 4 and their top picks would be:

UNC
FSU - maybe they aren't making themselves desirable right now
Clemson
Duke - This is my pick and people will make big arguments against it but I think keeping UNC and Duke together makes sense

Thats pretty much it.

Not really the salient issue… but go ahead and name them yourself or whatever.
Why is it not? Who gets a seat at the table and who doesn’t is very salient.

Your rusty cows and the land thieves just divorced Baylor, Okie Lite, Kansa, etal. Same for USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington leaving Zona, Cal, Utah etal. Don’t want anything to do with those lowlifes.

Why is it not? Who gets a seat at the table and who doesn’t is very salient.

Your rusty cows and the land thieves just divorced Baylor, Okie Lite, Kansa, etal. Same for USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington leaving Zona, Cal, Utah etal. Don’t want anything to do with those lowlifes.
Nah. The salient issues are getting away from the ncaa, negotiating as a solid block, being able to make rules to keep a viable league instead of the Wild West we have now.
If it’s 50 or 64 or 88 teams and which teams those exactly are isn’t a salient issue. It’s a secondary issue, even if an obvious issue.

Nah. The salient issues are getting away from the ncaa, negotiating as a solid block, being able to make rules to keep a viable league instead of the Wild West we have now.
If it’s 50 or 64 or 88 teams and which teams those exactly are isn’t a salient issue. It’s a secondary issue, even if an obvious issue.
That is very altruistic and you maybe right. But I think the Wild West is exactly what a lot of those wanted. But, I’m a cynical old man so there’s that.

giphy.gif

I don't think there's an incoming super league or a set number that the Big Ten or SEC have to or want to get to.

The Big Ten's long term strategy is to create a national profile (I remember when people mocked me for saying this) and now that they have a presence in the west, midwest and northeast, their eyes move south. I think the Big Ten would LOVE to make Florida State #19 and Miami FL #20. Notre Dame remains the Big Ten's top target but their actions have made it increasingly clear that they don't plan on giving up independence until they have no choice. I think they will end up in the Big Ten at some point. The ACC crumbling (or severely crippled) would make independence much harder for ND. I think the Big Ten would love to pick up UNC. However, I think that issue is more complicated than originally thought. I think UNC wants to be with UVA, who is going to be tied up with VT. There's also university politics trying to tie UNC to NC State. I don't think there's enough value there unless UNC wants and is able to make a jump to the Big Ten by themselves.

I don't know what the SEC's long term strategy is. SEC sources have leaked that they would be interesting in expanding their footprint to NC and VA. The question is how many of these schools get tied up together. If I were Sankey, I would be trying to get ESPN on board with adding UVA, VT, UNC, NC State, Clemson and FSU. That would be costly from ESPN's end and maybe they wouldn't go for it. However, that would give the SEC every major program from VA to FL to TX and everywhere in between. Controlling FL, TX, GA, NC and VA is huge. Those states are seeing big time economic and population growth. The Big Ten has a demographic problem and if I'm Sankey, I'm doing everything in my power to put up a wall around the entire south east.

SEC currently will be at 16.
B1G currently will be at 18.

I think per your plan the number would need to be divisible by 4 so that makes 20 schools kind of the max (no way there are 14 more schools worth taking if they went to 24). So that means 6 schools to be added and the true candidates that I see would be:

Notre Dame
FSU
Clemson
North Carolina
Duke (Adding both UNC and Duke to a conference would enhance basketball reputation overnight)
Virginia (B1G target due to academics and AAU)
Miami

Others that would probably be mentioned but I wouldn't take them:

Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech

B1G gets two and ND makes the most sense and then Miami or Virgina.

SEC needs 4 and their top picks would be:

UNC
FSU - maybe they aren't making themselves desirable right now
Clemson
Duke - This is my pick and people will make big arguments against it but I think keeping UNC and Duke together makes sense

Thats pretty much it.

I think Okie Lite needs to be in there somewhere. But that's not a hill I'm willing to die on.