The beginning of the end of the NCAA as we know it ...

Fuck this. The NCAA tournament is the best thing in sports and Sankey repeatedly is trying to ruin it.

I don't know what the SEC's long term strategy is. SEC sources have leaked that they would be interesting in expanding their footprint to NC and VA. The question is how many of these schools get tied up together. If I were Sankey, I would be trying to get ESPN on board with adding UVA, VT, UNC, NC State, Clemson and FSU. That would be costly from ESPN's end and maybe they wouldn't go for it. However, that would give the SEC every major program from VA to FL to TX and everywhere in between. Controlling FL, TX, GA, NC and VA is huge. Those states are seeing big time economic and population growth. The Big Ten has a demographic problem and if I'm Sankey, I'm doing everything in my power to put up a wall around the entire south east.

While I agree with you on the part I copied. ESPN and the SEC won't add that many ACC schools because they know that'll dilute the pie.

Im Honestly really thinking the SEC is willing to breakaway and play only SEC and B1G schools. Keep the money between two.

I think Okie Lite needs to be in there somewhere. But that's not a hill I'm willing to die on.
Would have to be B1G as I don’t see Oklahoma having that at all.

While I agree with you on the part I copied. ESPN and the SEC won't add that many ACC schools because they know that'll dilute the pie.

Im Honestly really thinking the SEC is willing to breakaway and play only SEC and B1G schools. Keep the money between two.
No. The national pie and the power to negotiate as a whole is where the big BIG money is at.
No way cfb, having its JV status to the nfl, can take the risk of trying to piecemeal their way.

No. The national pie and the power to negotiate as a whole is where the big BIG money is at.
No way cfb, having its JV status to the nfl, can take the risk of trying to piecemeal their way.
I very much hope you are correct.

I can see that. This year the NFL had teams from Los Angeles, San Francisco, Detroit, Green Bay, Kansas City, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Tampa, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Baltimore, Buffalo. That's pretty good geographical representation on a national basis. That hasn't been the case in CFB. If CFB can maintain interest throughout the nation....................

I could easily see a scenario where ESPN divests from the ACC and moves the value programs into the SEC to improve their product. However, I think the SEC and ESPN's views on SEC expansion could be different.

Yeah, I don't know why they agreed to a 12 team playoff to begin with. I guess they didn't anticipate the PAC 12 crumbling.

And now, why not just got back to a four team playoff exclusively for the SEC and B1G? They have the money and clout to keep the ACC, Big 12 and G5s at bay. I've always pushed for the G5s to have their own playoff. Now I guess the ACC and Big 12 can be included in that one as well.

Two CFPs
Big boy one with four B1G/SEC teams
Little boy one with 12 ACC/Big 12/G5 teams

Why not?
About $1.4 billion, that’s why.

But why split that with the other dregs? Wouldn’t it be close to that amount with just the SEC and B1G? That’s the only two getting big media money.

4 team playoff = 3 games to sell to networks

12 team playoff = 11 games to sell to networks

You can make a lot more money selling 11 games vs. 3 games. SEC and Big Ten will keep the others around (IMO) as long as they make most of the CFP money

4 team playoff = 3 games to sell to networks

12 team playoff = 11 games to sell to networks

You can make a lot more money selling 11 games vs. 3 games. SEC and Big Ten will keep the others around (IMO) as long as they make most of the CFP money
I know that. My question is why let a TCU or Cincy type team from other conferences in when you can fill all the slots with the top teams from the B1G and SEC? 6 SEC teams and 6 B1G teams provide those same 11 games you referenced without sharing any of the revenue with another conference.

I know that. My question is why let a TCU or Cincy type team from other conferences in when you can fill all the slots with the top teams from the B1G and SEC? 6 SEC teams and 6 B1G teams provide those same 11 games you referenced without sharing any of the revenue with another conference.

It's about growing the sport long term. The Big Ten and SEC can continue to grow the sport by allowing other conferences to have a seat at the table. That seat won't come with an equal slice of the pie.

But why split that with the other dregs? Wouldn’t it be close to that amount with just the SEC and B1G? That’s the only two getting big media money.

They're going to get the lion's share of that. It isn't an equal split.

I may be misunderstanding you. You said:

"Yeah, I don't know why they agreed to a 12 team playoff to begin with. I guess they didn't anticipate the PAC 12 crumbling."

I took that to mean they should have stayed at 4. The 4-team CFP made about $480 million. The CFP12 for 2024 and 2025, already under contract with ESPN exclusively, is estimated to bring in around $840 million. The CFP-12, presumably with a mix of media partners, is estimated to bring in $1.8 billion.

That's why they wanted to go to 12 games.

I supposed all 12 teams could be SEC and B1G teams, but even if you just have 1 from the ACC, 1 from the B12, ND, and 1 from the G5, it provides a more national flavor that I think will make it more popular. The B1G and the SEC are likely to get 7-8 of the teams in most years anyway ... I think having all the conferences involved instead of each conference getting 1 more team in will make it more popular and, therefore, profitable.

It's about growing the sport long term. The Big Ten and SEC can continue to grow the sport by allowing other conferences to have a seat at the table. That seat won't come with an equal slice of the pie.
Growing the sport? That altruistic idea went out the window a hell of a long time ago.

I may be misunderstanding you. You said:

"Yeah, I don't know why they agreed to a 12 team playoff to begin with. I guess they didn't anticipate the PAC 12 crumbling."

I took that to mean they should have stayed at 4. The 4-team CFP made about $480 million. The CFP12 for 2024 and 2025, already under contract with ESPN exclusively, is estimated to bring in around $840 million. The CFP-12, presumably with a mix of media partners, is estimated to bring in $1.8 billion.

That's why they wanted to go to 12 games.

I supposed all 12 teams could be SEC and B1G teams, but even if you just have 1 from the ACC, 1 from the B12, ND, and 1 from the G5, it provides a more national flavor that I think will make it more popular. The B1G and the SEC are likely to get 7-8 of the teams in most years anyway ... I think having all the conferences involved instead of each conference getting 1 more team in will make it more popular and, therefore, profitable.
I’ll buy the profitable part. Not the popularity part. It is ALL about money. USC didn’t go to the B1G for any reason other than the amount of money from the media deal was double what they would get from the PAC. It wasn’t about popularity.

Yeah, I don't know why they agreed to a 12 team playoff to begin with. I guess they didn't anticipate the PAC 12 crumbling.

And now, why not just got back to a four team playoff exclusively for the SEC and B1G? They have the money and clout to keep the ACC, Big 12 and G5s at bay. I've always pushed for the G5s to have their own playoff. Now I guess the ACC and Big 12 can be included in that one as well.

Two CFPs
Big boy one with four B1G/SEC teams
Little boy one with 12 ACC/Big 12/G5 teams

Why not?
Without a 12 team playoff coming OU and Texas never make the move.