The Ford Maverick is coming back! As a Truck...kinda!

BIL got one a few months ago. I am sure he bought it on SPECS only cause I got into it and was flabbergasted on how fucking cheap it felt. Everything was cheap feeling and looking. Gets great gas mileage though <<<< the reason he bought it.

More seem to be available here , few dealers are still marking them up.

I like size but build quality seems sus

Looking at 2024 Taco or 2023 Colorado or canyon

Always buy Toyota over GMC.

Yes, the turkey gave you sound advice. GM vehicles have been garbage since the turn of the century. The government had to bail them out and they have been turning out junk ever since.

The engines are great....the vehicles ride good....they just don't last because they are made with inferior materials in cost cutting measures to make them cheaper than imports. So...if you plan on keeping the vehicle and are not leasing....stay clear of any GM products.

Toyotas and Hondas are probably the best vehicles to buy if you plan on keeping them for more than 4 or 5 years, at their price point.

For anything better made than them you will pay a bit more. The Lexus and Acura products are the luxury upgrades to Toyota and Honda but the same engineering and QAC controls are utilized in the manufacture of the brands' higher end vehicle lines, are duplicated in the parent company's vehicles. (Which means you are getting the benefit of that in the lower end models).

So in short, if you chose the GMC Canyon over the Toyota Tacoma, you made the wrong choice.

Yes, the turkey gave you sound advice. GM vehicles have been garbage since the turn of the century. The government had to bail them out and they have been turning out junk ever since.

The engines are great....the vehicles ride good....they just don't last because they are made with inferior materials in cost cutting measures to make them cheaper than imports. So...if you plan on keeping the vehicle and are not leasing....stay clear of any GM products.

Toyotas and Hondas are probably the best vehicles to buy if you plan on keeping them for more than 4 or 5 years, at their price point.

For anything better made than them you will pay a bit more. The Lexus and Acura products are the luxury upgrades to Toyota and Honda but the same engineering and QAC controls are utilized in the manufacture of the brands' higher end vehicle lines, are duplicated in the parent company's vehicles. (Which means you are getting the benefit of that in the lower end models).

So in short, if you chose the GMC Canyon over the Toyota Tacoma, you made the wrong choice.
Eh, I don't hate GM. Toyota certainly has advantages to them, and while Toyota holds their values better, GMC/Chevy colorado/Canyon isn't far behind in resale value. There are are definitely cheap components.

I am avoiding stellantis products and fords though.

Eh, I don't hate GM. Toyota certainly has advantages to them, and while Toyota holds their values better, GMC/Chevy colorado/Canyon isn't far behind in resale value. There are are definitely cheap components.

I am avoiding stellantis products and fords though.
If you go full size I am of the opinion that all the top 4 are in the same sentence but RAM would be the one they would have to beat out. But depends on what your going for. 420 HP and just over 1000 pd ft tourqe outta the Cummings turbo HO diesel is hard to overlook.

If you go full size I am of the opinion that all the top 4 are in the same sentence but RAM would be the one they would have to beat out. But depends on what your going for. 420 HP and just over 1000 pd ft tourqe outta the Cummings turbo HO diesel is hard to overlook.
I love how the new Ram looks with some of the packages.
With that said, I would never own a Dodge.

Old habits you know

I love how the new Ram looks with some of the packages.
With that said, I would never own a Dodge.

Old habits you know
Oh yeah. I can't see me buying a Ford ever. Owned one. Sucked.

I have had great luck with chevy and Chrysler but I don't drive stupid (anymore) and do maintenance on the reg.

My bro had a Toyota that was old and falling apart when he bought it. We tried to kill it. Would not die.

I would consider a Tesla for wife. She drives 40ish miles round trip. Not sure I like the alternatives to the tesla though

My bro had a Toyota that was old and falling apart when he bought it. We tried to kill it. Would not die.
I have seen this too.
Saw tons of these when I was a kid.
Always looked weird and broke all the time.

Can't get over it

1705447911592.png

i think the midsize are too big

if the Maverick had better build quality including fit and finish, I would strongly consider it. I've seen more than one report of owners complaining of parts fading/cracking after only a year.

I've been hearing rumors of a Toyota small truck, could wait.

Sitting out in my driveway right now but need to pull the tranny to change out the slave cylinder, I have maybe 1" pedal travel between fully engage and not...

View attachment 98610
I had a 1992 Ranger.
It ran forever, but to go 65 on the Highway, I had to turn off the a/c, then shift from 5th to 4th.
Severly underpowered but ran forever.

I had what I thought was a transmission problem, and all it ended up being was the slave cylinder was out of fluid.
Topped it off, easy peasy.

It went thru 3 different kids, after I was done with it, for them to 'learn on'.
Never missed a beat.

i think the midsize are too big

if the Maverick had better build quality including fit and finish, I would strongly consider it. I've seen more than one report of owners complaining of parts fading/cracking after only a year.

I've been hearing rumors of a Toyota small truck, could wait.
The Nissan is supposed to be nice after it went forever without a change. Not been in one or even close to look at one can not confirm. My buddy had a small Nissan back in 80's. Loved it. Not frills but would shit and get

I had a 1992 Ranger.
It ran forever, but to go 65 on the Highway, I had to turn off the a/c, then shift from 5th to 4th.

I had what I thought was a transmission problem, and all it ended up being was the slave cylinder was out of fluid.

It went thru 3 different kids, after I was done with it, for them to 'learn on'.
Never missed a beat.
I had a 1990 Ranger, bought it right after boot camp. As you said, a bit underpowered, but I drove it for 13 years, over 150,000 miles, a couple of fender benders, and multiple cross country trips, never had an issue as long as I did the regular maintenance (oil, fluids, belts etc). Finally sold it when I went overseas, it still ran like new, tough little truck.

The Nissan is supposed to be nice after it went forever without a change. Not been in one or even close to look at one can not confirm. My buddy had a small Nissan back in 80's. Loved it. Not frills but would shit and get
I looked at frontier

Too trucky. Fully loaded 42k and no telescoping steering wheel?

I had a 1992 Ranger.

Never missed a beat.

Mine was full of fluid and even tried bleeding it but no go. So pulled everything out and replaced the slave cylinder, master cylinder (what attaches to clutch pedal) flywheel, disc, pressure plate, rear main seal, all u joints, all bolts, fresh fluids/gaskets in clutch, transfer case and both axles. Installed new gas tank (old one had hole in the top) both fuel pumps and both fuel pump/computer relays, new catalytic converter and reused muffler. Cleaned up as much frame as I had access to then Ospho'd it and Rust Sealed it (hopefully that will help keep rust down)...

Got everything put back and turned key and didn't hear fuel pumps engage, traced it out to a brand new relay I had installed. Opened up the relay and it wasn't wired internally from the factory :mad2: Went to 2 different part stores and their relays were schitt too, no continuity in coil circuit. Ended up putting in a higher amperage relay in it's spot so hope that doesn't fry the computer somehow. It's kind of a weird setup in the lower amperage relay when energized sends power to both the computer and to a higher amperage relay that energizes both fuel pumps. Oh well I guess that's Ford engineering for you...

Got more work to do this Summer because most of the suspension is original, the bushings, ball joints, bearings and other things are getting worn/dried out...