TV Series The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 256,604.00
Release date for the Amazon TV series reboot of The Lord of the Rings was announced today:

Friday, September 2, 2022.

Logo:

61zgTyEx.png

So sounds like it's gonna be the events of the Akallabêth surrounding Numenor and the creation of the rings of power? I could get down with that. I just hope they don't bastarize the lore the way The Hobbit movies did at the end.

Hopeful for it.

The movies are easily by far the best movie trilogy ever made. Watch the extended version of them at least once a year and they never get old.

The Hobbit movies were so god awful though.

So sounds like it's gonna be the events of the Akallabêth surrounding Numenor and the creation of the rings of power? I could get down with that.

I actually just responded to this thread over at the other site ... didn't think to look to see if there was a thread on it on this site first.

Yeah, since the show is supposed to be set in the 2nd age, it makes perfect sense the Rings of Power would be included, since they were forged in the 2nd age.

What got me was the promo picture. Those are the Two Trees in the background.
You know what The Two Trees means.

(I erased the last sentence from your post because as far as I'm concerned, what you mentioned in it does not exist ... and I never refused to watch the third movie, since the one cannot watch the third movie of something which does not exist.)

I suspect I'm gonna pass. Like with the GOT prequel thing.

I actually just responded to this thread over at the other site ... didn't think to look to see if there was a thread on it on this site first.

Yeah, since the show is supposed to be set in the 2nd age, it makes perfect sense the Rings of Power would be included, since they were forged in the 2nd age.

What got me was the promo picture. Those are the Two Trees in the background.
You know what The Two Trees means.

(I erased the last sentence from your post because as far as I'm concerned, what you mentioned in it does not exist ... and I never refused to watch the third movie, since the one cannot watch the third movie of something which does not exist.)
I didn't make the Two Trees connection either so that's a great catch. Anf the way that one tree is lit probably isnt an accident. Shit.....idk....they'd have to fuck the lore up pretty bad if they had them be a second age thing. Maybe it's a flashback or something.

I didn't make the Two Trees connection either so that's a great catch. Anf the way that one tree is lit probably isnt an accident. Shit.....idk....they'd have to fuck the lore up pretty bad if they had them be a second age thing. Maybe it's a flashback or something.

They look gold and silver, at least to me.
I wasn't thinking fuck up, I was thinking background.
If they're doing this in seasons, there's more than enough time to set up the second age by spending some time in the first.
At the very least, since I'd guess lots of Numenor, like you, the origin of the White Tree would make sense.

I'm going to have to do some rereading to brush up.

They look gold and silver, at least to me.
I wasn't thinking fuck up, I was thinking background.
If they're doing this in seasons, there's more than enough time to set up the second age by spending some time in the first.
At the very least, since I'd guess lots of Numenor, like you, the origin of the White Tree would make sense.

I'm going to have to do some rereading to brush up.
I was thinking the two trees of Valinor. That would completely not mesh with the second age since they'd have long been destroyed. If it's the white tree of Numenor that would make a ton more sense.

But you're right that could be to set things up.

What is the background on this tree stuff?

I was thinking the two trees of Valinor. That would completely not mesh with the second age since they'd have long been destroyed. If it's the white tree of Numenor that would make a ton more sense.

But you're right that could be to set things up.

I'm referring to the two trees of Valinor. One was silver, Telperion, the other was gold ... can't remember its name without looking it up. If I remember correctly, the White Tree of Numernor is directly descended from Telperion.

I'm thinking there could be a lot of set up referring back to the First Age, so we could get a decent amount of Valinor.

I'm referring to the two trees of Valinor. One was silver, Telperion, the other was gold ... can't remember its name without looking it up. If I remember correctly, the White Tree of Numernor is directly descended from Telperion.

I'm thinking there could be a lot of set up referring back to the First Age, so we could get a decent amount of Valinor.
I think we might see that for it to set up the white tree of Numenor (which we're already familiar with from LOTR). They also might show first age or pre-first age Valinor to show how perfect it was for the Numenorians to want to go there.

I think we might see that for it to set up the white tree of Numenor (which we're already familiar with from LOTR). They also might show first age or pre-first age Valinor to show how perfect it was for the Numenorians to want to go there.

We seem to be thinking along the similar lines. Furthermore, if what I read ... shit, can't remember where, and it was just yesterday :facepalm: ... is accurate, Galadriel will be a character, and the Phial of Galadriel* was the last vestige of the light of Valinor, thus the 2 trees ...

Plus, since we're dealing with the forging of the Rings, we could also get the backstory on Sauron, and I don't see how they could get away with doing that without at least giving some summary of Melkor/Morgoth, and you can't have him without the Silmarils, which you can't have without the two trees.

It's been so long since I've delved into all this lore, I'm only, like, 98% sure my claim about the light in the Phial is even accurate.

I should probably not say much more until I've at least gone back through The Silmarillion.

We seem to be thinking along the similar lines. Furthermore, if what I read ... shit, can't remember where, and it was just yesterday :facepalm: ... is accurate, Galadriel will be a character, and the Phial of Galadriel* was the last vestige of the light of Valinor, thus the 2 trees ...

Plus, since we're dealing with the forging of the Rings, we could also get the backstory on Sauron, and I don't see how they could get away with doing that without at least giving some summary of Melkor/Morgoth, and you can't have him without the Silmarils, which you can't have without the two trees.

It's been so long since I've delved into all this lore, I'm only, like, 98% sure my claim about the light in the Phial is even accurate.

I should probably not say much more until I've at least gone back through The Silmarillion.
This is all pretty accurate. Would be cool to see live action first age/pre-first age but so many moving parts over such a long period of time might make it tough.

The Phial of Galadrial had water from a pond which the silmaril that went into the sky shined onto and that silmaril had the light of the two trees. Kinda of a lot of steps there.

This is all pretty accurate. Would be cool to see live action first age/pre-first age but so many moving parts over such a long period of time might make it tough.

The Phial of Galadrial had water from a pond which the silmaril that went into the sky shined onto and that silmaril had the light of the two trees. Kinda of a lot of steps there.

Oh yeah, I've no clue what will or won't be covered. I wouldn't have even though Valinor would be much other than a mention if the focus is second age, but then they released that picture, and my mind started going.

Ok, fine, but the light still originated with a Silmaril, lol. See what I mean about needing to brush up ... I was just going from what I remembered, and I obviously have forgotten more than I remember.
Speaking of remembering, I remember when you said you were going to read the Silmarillion. I haven't read it since before you did.

One thing about which I'm certain, all Silamirls contained the light of the two trees, or at least one of them.

Oh yeah, I've no clue what will or won't be covered. I wouldn't have even though Valinor would be much other than a mention if the focus is second age, but then they released that picture, and my mind started going.

Ok, fine, but the light still originated with a Silmaril, lol. See what I mean about needing to brush up ... I was just going from what I remembered, and I obviously have forgotten more than I remember.
Speaking of remembering, I remember when you said you were going to read the Silmarillion. I haven't read it since before you did.

One thing about which I'm certain, all Silamirls contained the light of the two trees, or at least one of them.
I finished the Silmarillion awhile ago now. Good read but I've definitely forgotten a ton if stuff. I'm on Unfinished Tales now

I finished the Silmarillion awhile ago now. Good read but I've definitely forgotten a ton if stuff. I'm on Unfinished Tales now

It's been even longer since I've gone through Unfinished Tales.
This series isn't supposed to start for a little over a year, so there's plenty of time to go back through this stuff.