TV Series The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Man if this show is just about geeky trees then Amazon wasted a billion dollars.

It's been so long since I've delved into all this lore, I'm only, like, 98% sure my claim about the light in the Phial is even accurate.
I think the light in Galadriel's phial is from Earandil, who has the last surviving Silmaril in his space-boat

I was thinking the two trees of Valinor. That would completely not mesh with the second age since they'd have long been destroyed. If it's the white tree of Numenor that would make a ton more sense.

But you're right that could be to set things up.
I kind of feel like they're going to have to do a bit of backstory (maybe not a full season's worth), but I'm sure there are people that Amazon is trying to reach that haven't necessarily read The Silmarillion. There needs to be a bit of an exposition, especially if this is going to surround Numenor, as to why they think they're trying to get to the Undying Lands, and that Sauron wasn't even the worst bad guy in Middle-Earth.

If they're calling this "Lord of the Rings" I don't see how they can focus a lot of story on Valinor or even Numenor.

Well, on second thought I actually can: maybe they're just using that name because it's more recognizable.

However, because the Akallabeth was just a short section of the Silmarillion, it's much lighter on narrative than LOTR, which means the writers would be forced to make up a bunch of dialogue and story arcs. If you're going to focus a lot on First Age events, you have way more material to work with.

If they're calling this "Lord of the Rings" I don't see how they can focus a lot of story on Valinor or even Numenor.

Well, on second thought I actually can: maybe they're just using that name because it's more recognizable.

However, because the Akallabeth was just a short section of the Silmarillion, it's much lighter on narrative than LOTR, which means the writers would be forced to make up a bunch of dialogue and story arcs. If you're going to focus a lot on First Age events, you have way more material to work with.
The Second Age was the height of Sauron's ("The Lord of The Rings") power. And he was present in Valinor, being a Maia.

(I FEEL LIKE SUCH A FUCKING NERD)

I kind of feel like they're going to have to do a bit of backstory (maybe not a full season's worth), but I'm sure there are people that Amazon is trying to reach that haven't necessarily read The Silmarillion. There needs to be a bit of an exposition, especially if this is going to surround Numenor, as to why they think they're trying to get to the Undying Lands, and that Sauron wasn't even the worst bad guy in Middle-Earth.
Apparently someone on set leaked the start of the show is going to be some kind of exposition/set up.

The Second Age was the height of Sauron's ("The Lord of The Rings") power. And he was present in Valinor, being a Maia.

(I FEEL LIKE SUCH A FUCKING NERD)
So again, if Sauron is the main character, the narrative on him is thin in the written materials. There might be a ton more non-canonical material in such a series

So again, if Sauron is the main character, the narrative on him is thin in the written materials. There might be a ton more non-canonical material in such a series
I had read somewhere that the Second Age was chosen on purpose because this had a lot of room to explore either unfinished storylines or enhance stories that didn't get a deep dive.

I had read somewhere that the Second Age was chosen on purpose because this had a lot of room to explore either unfinished storylines or enhance stories that didn't get a deep dive.
Second Age SUCKED, man! It was dark all the time and nothing good happened

I actually think you could get a lot on that. Him coming out of hiding to begin building his army, being lord of the gifts (rings) to trick the elves into his service, multiple wars that ensued, capture in Numenor, eventual adviser to the king which led to the sinking of Numenor and then the War of the Last Alliance. That stretched over a long time, unlike the Battle of the Five Armies which was bloated beyond belief.

I actually think you could get a lot on that. Him coming out of hiding to begin building his army, being lord of the gifts (rings) to trick the elves into his service, multiple wars that ensued, capture in Numenor, eventual adviser to the king which led to the sinking of Numenor and then the War of the Last Alliance. That stretched over a long time, unlike the Battle of the Five Armies which was bloated beyond belief.
There was barely enough material to make 2 movies out of The Hobbit, and I'm not even sure they needed a second. Fuck all the studio executives that forced that shit on us.

Well sure, you and I could make up the details of what we think those events looked like as they happened, it just might suck

There was barely enough material to make 2 movies out of The Hobbit, and I'm not even sure they needed a second. Fuck all the studio executives that forced that shit on us.
Ahh, don't get me STARTED