TV Series The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Just getting back to this series, been busy. Ep 8 opening blew my mind. Fuck me didn't see that one coming.

Otherwise, I have soured on the person playing Galadriel. She is supposed to be mystical and ancient, but she comes off as a teen. Where is the light of Valinor she possesses?

Elrond looks like that dude from Air Supply, but no other beef about him.

Gil Galad has been made out to look like an idiot. He wasn't.

I'm OK with all things Dwarf. They seemed to get this right, at least.

Pissed about the unnecessary changes to the history. Sauron taught the elves much in the art of ringmaking and the rings were already made when Numenor arrived to conquor Sauron in Mordor. It's not the changes themselves, it's the fact that they were unnecessarily done. Why deviate? It grates.

Last edited:
Gil Galad is a cunt. Who is he to order around Feanor's grandson and neice?

Otherwise, I have soured on the person playing Galadriel. She is supposed to be mystical and ancient, but she comes off as a teen. Where is the light of Valinor she possesses?
This has been my problem with her character from the beginning. I get that the one from the books is more wooden and less edutaining for today's enlightened modern audience. But you hit the nail on the head. She is already thousands of years old at this point and comes off like a petulant child instead of a wise Noldorin elder.
Gil Galad is a cunt. Who is he to order around Feanor's grandson and neice?
I'm with you here, too. These are all close relatives. They've almost made Galadriel and Elrond romantically linked, and she's his third cousin, or something. Celebrimbor is Gil-Galad's first cousin, once removed. I always imagined Gil-Galad as a straight up badass, but here he's kind of like a lame version of Benjamin Disraeli.

This has been my problem with her character from the beginning. I get that the one from the books is more wooden and less edutaining for today's enlightened modern audience. But you hit the nail on the head. She is already thousands of years old at this point and comes off like a petulant child instead of a wise Noldorin elder.

I'm with you here, too. These are all close relatives. They've almost made Galadriel and Elrond romantically linked, and she's his third cousin, or something. Celebrimbor is Gil-Galad's first cousin, once removed. I always imagined Gil-Galad as a straight up badass, but here he's kind of like a lame version of Benjamin Disraeli.
Third cousins can get married in all 50 states. At least that’s what the Bama fans keep telling me.

Third cousins can get married in all 50 states. At least that’s what the Bama fans keep telling me.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Heh that makes me think about how Aragorn and Arwen did have kind of an incestuous relationship, just one was dozens of generations removed from their closest shared ancestor.

But also do agree. Gil-Galad is a bad ass elf who dies fighting Sauron with Elendil, not some short-haired buzz kill. Same with making Galadriel and impulsive teenager and not a thousands of years old elf who once told Feanor's horny ass to get bent. I think some of the hate it gets is from people who never gave the show a chance from the start but the way they wrote some of the characters is a legit complaint.

I agree the hobbit movies were not the best, but I think the story of how Bilbo got the ring to begin with, gollum, Gandalf and a host of other things help to understand the hardship that was about to be thrust on everyone who took up the path of destroying the ring.
This is why I actually liked the first Hobbit. Kept to the book way more than the others and was basically a lighter-heart LOTR (which is what it's supposed to be) even if it were a little long.

The other two....yeesh.

This is why I actually liked the first Hobbit. Kept to the book way more than the others and was basically a lighter-heart LOTR (which is what it's supposed to be) even if it were a little long.

The other two....yeesh.
Yeah, that's fair. They kinda sucked people in with the first one and then went off the deep end.

Still can't get over them trying to have a romantic interest between a dwarf and an elf. I went full Comic Book Guy over that one

I'd say start with the Hobbit and do it in order but I just can't recommend the Hobbit series to anyone.

No one should ever be forced to watch the Hobbit movies.
For kids, they're fine, I guess. But for book readers, they're absolute shit, Should never have been 3 movies, 2 maybe, but hoestly should have been just one.

Yeah, that's fair. They kinda sucked people in with the first one and then went off the deep end.

Still can't get over them trying to have a romantic interest between a dwarf and an elf. I went full Comic Book Guy over that one
Worst non canon ever.

Just getting back to this series, been busy. Ep 8 opening blew my mind. Fuck me didn't see that one coming.

Elrond looks like that dude from Air Supply, but no other beef about him.

Gil Galad has been made out to look like an idiot. He wasn't.

I'm OK with all things Dwarf. They seemed to get this right, at least.

Pissed about the unnecessary changes to the history. Sauron taught the elves much in the art of ringmaking and the rings were already made when Numenor arrived to conquor Sauron in Mordor. It's not the changes themselves, it's the fact that they were unnecessarily done. Why deviate? It grates.
The Akallabeth mentions that the Elf-friends in Numenor assisted the Elves in the war against Sauron through Pelargir, which I believe that Miriel mentioned in episode 7. That's before they conquer Sauron the first time, and bring him back to Numenor and get their shit wrecked.

Part of the problem with the show is that they have thousands of years that they're trying to display in a matter of hours. And they'd need to introduce and die off a number of Numenorean kings to keep a canon timeline. The liberties they took were for the purpose of telling a TV story that won't go on for a hundred hours.

Last edited:

Third cousin love is legal in all 50 states. That snatch is fair game.