TV Series The Queen's Gambit

Nice suggestion. I love a good story (which this one looks like) that is also spot on with historical theming. Thanks!

Watched the first two episodes and it's good plus the wife likes it.

A story about grinding your genius along the rail of sanity? I'll probably either love it or hate it, but I'll watch it 😉

I liked it. My only complaint is that they didn’t make it clear enough episode to episode how old she was.

it was weird seeing a 24 year old actress play a 14 year old and older. And she played them all the exact same way.

I liked it. My only complaint is that they didn’t make it clear enough episode to episode how old she was.

it was weird seeing a 24 year old actress play a 14 year old and older. And she played them all the exact same way.
Yes, that was a bit strange. I felt like the director was flirting with the male viewers. Completely unnecessary.

Read the novel many years ago and was highly impressed. This series is a faithful adaptation that is just spectacular, with terrific acting and production values. Strongly recommend!

Also, here's the date announcement promo, an earlier promo that came before the trailer:

A few episodes in. The lead girl is absolutely gorgeous.

The wife and I finished it and it’s good all the way through. Not sure how they did it but they made chess tournaments interesting over and over again. Well done.

Outstanding show.

Very good and one I've recommended to many recently. Trying to get them passed the whole chess is boring concept to realize it is binge worthy.

Just to throw something negative in I will say that I wasn't nuts about the end of it, I thought it felt a little like it fell back into being like a traditional rah rah sports movie too much in the last bit. But I still liked it very much overall and it was very well made.

Does anyone here play chess?

I have been playing since I was a kid, and the wife was wanting me to wait to watch this with her, but then saw the previews and decided it wasn't for her, so she gave me the all clear to watch it solo.

Might start it tomorrow and really looking forward to it.

Really enjoyed it.

I've watched it twice. It's amazing.

I never learned to play chess, so it was really interesting all the details.

Anyone that actually can play chess able to track how legit any of the sequences were (and yeah, I realize it's scripted).

I've watched it twice. It's amazing.

I never learned to play chess, so it was really interesting all the details.

Anyone that actually can play chess able to track how legit any of the sequences were (and yeah, I realize it's scripted).

Garry Kasparov was a consultant to ensure accuracy. He was the number 1 player in the world from '84 until he retired in '05.

I enjoy playing chess myself, but don't get many opportunities to do so, as very few I know play. I'm no where near good enough to compete in tournaments, but do enjoy working through some puzzles and the occasional online game.

My son was interested in learning a year ago or so, but it faded. He's recently been interested in Texas Holdem and I've been teaching him how to play, along with my daughter. May be time to see if they'd like to take another look at chess seeing they'll be turning 8 and 6 soon.

I imagine with the popularity of the series, chess sets may be a popular gift for Christmas.

Watched it already. Solid.

Am I the only one here who doesn't really view this as a series about chess at all?

Am I the only one here who doesn't really view this as a series about chess at all?
Well there are certainly other themes there, like addiction and whatnot, but I don't think you can say it isn't about chess at all because it's a show about a female chess player.

They had 3 different girls playing Beth at different ages. Did you want a 4th or do you just feel a little creepy thinking 14 yr old Beth was hot?