TV Series The Queen's Gambit

Well there are certainly other themes there, like addiction and whatnot, but I don't think you can say it isn't about chess at all because it's a show about a female chess player.

Well right off the top I of course want to say that neither of us is "right" and I'm not telling you how to interpret something or what to take away from it. Without going into it at a level where you'd be looking to bill me for your time :LOL: I would also add that I have a lot of personal experience that coloured what I saw in/"learned" from it.

I'm not saying that there's nothing in it to make chess fans smile, I'm saying that to me chess is merely the vehicle for the larger ideas. Same with the addiction stuff, I didn't see her addictions as "her problem" at all. There are things in it that addicts will relate to generally and whatnot (those that they call "self medicators" for instance) but her addictions are merely a symptom of the larger and deeper battle that's going on. That junkie shitting on the sidewalk might have a similar story but odds are pretty damned good that he/she doesn't. I think it's similar to something like "Whiplash" where there's plenty of content to appeal to musicians but there's way more there and one can still relate and take things away from it while knowing virtually nothing about music/jazz, Julliard or performing professions (as I didn't). And yeah, I know that they called Julliard something different in it but I can't remember what it was 😉

Last edited:
They had 3 different girls playing Beth at different ages. Did you want a 4th or do you just feel a little creepy thinking 14 yr old Beth was hot?

I thought they were all trans actresses, I gotta get my radar readjusted :LOL:

Well right off the top I of course want to say that neither of us is "right" and I'm not telling you how to interpret something or what to take away from it. Without going into it at a level where you'd be looking to bill me for your time :LOL: I would also add that I have a lot of personal experience that coloured what I saw in/"learned" from it.

I'm not saying that there's nothing in it to make chess fans smile, I'm saying that to me chess is merely the vehicle for the larger ideas. Same with the addiction stuff, I didn't see her addictions as "her problem" at all. There are things in it that addicts will relate to generally and whatnot (those that they call "self medicators" for instance) but her addictions are merely a symptom of the larger and deeper battle that's going on. That junkie shitting on the sidewalk might have a similar story but odds are pretty damned good that he/doesn't. I think it's similar to something like "Whiplash" where there's plenty of content to appeal to musicians but there's way more there and one can still relate and take things away from it while knowing virtually nothing about music/jazz, Julliard or performing professions (as I didn't). And yeah, I know that they called Julliard something different in it but I can't remember what it was 😉
I am only on episode 3, so I had to stop at the junkie line, but I will come back to this in a few days when I am done.

I am only on episode 3, so I had to stop at the junkie line, but I will come back to this in a few days when I am done.

Oh fuck I'm sorry dude, you should have told me that though! I didn't really "spoil" anything though I don't think. I also went back and fixed my typo in the junkie line, I don't care about the feminists or the pronoun police judging my intentions with the mistake but I'm just a perfectionist 😉

Oh fuck I'm sorry dude, you should have told me that though! I didn't really "spoil" anything though I don't think. I also went back and fixed my typo in the junkie line, I don't care about the feminists or the pronoun police judging my intentions with the mistake but I'm just a perfectionist 😉
Nah it's cool. You didn't break any rules of the forum.

I am talking in here at my own risk

That dude she beat in the first championship at 14 seems to be all over the place lately. He was just in that The Old Guard movie too

They had 3 different girls playing Beth at different ages. Did you want a 4th or do you just feel a little creepy thinking 14 yr old Beth was hot?

Not saying there should have been a 4th... And yes, it was weird being attracted to a 14 year old... But I think I am more saying that the actress played all the ages the same.... watching the show, her age was never important and was confusing throughout...

again, great show and a great binge... But I think they could have at least let her show the age that she was acting as...

I have a similar problem about when she was drinking and doing drugs... I think only once throughout the whole series, she ACTED drunk... and had a hangover only once(it happened to be at the worst time, of course)

I'm not saying that there's nothing in it to make chess fans smile, I'm saying that to me chess is merely the vehicle for the larger ideas. Same with the addiction stuff, I didn't see her addictions as "her problem" at all. There are things in it that addicts will relate to generally and whatnot (those that they call "self medicators" for instance) but her addictions are merely a symptom of the larger and deeper battle that's going on. That junkie shitting on the sidewalk might have a similar story but odds are pretty damned good that he/she doesn't. I think it's similar to something like "Whiplash" where there's plenty of content to appeal to musicians but there's way more there and one can still relate and take things away from it while knowing virtually nothing about music/jazz, Julliard or performing professions (as I didn't). And yeah, I know that they called Julliard something different in it but I can't remember what it was 😉

If your point is that there were multiple themes, then of course you are right... But that could be said about any good show or movie... But the main theme is certainly chess... It just does a good job making Chess interesting...

Its like saying Rocky is not a Boxing movie... because there are other major themes in it...

Reactions: ill
If your point is that there were multiple themes, then of course you are right... But that could be said about any good show or movie... But the main theme is certainly chess... It just does a good job making Chess interesting...

Its like saying Rocky is not a Boxing movie... because there are other major themes in it...

"Chess" is a theme? I feel like if I'd put that on a test in school I'd have seen a lot of red ink.

"Chess" is a theme? I feel like if I'd put that on a test in school I'd have seen a lot of red ink.
it may not be a "theme" but it is certainly the device the story uses.

I can't think of the word I want to use here...

it may not be a "theme" but it is certainly the device the story uses.

I can't think of the word I want to use here...

Did I not clearly say exactly that?

"...to me chess is merely the vehicle for the larger ideas"

Did I not clearly say exactly that?

"...to me chess is merely the vehicle for the larger ideas"
VEHICLE!

that's the word I was looking for.

To me Rocky isn't a boxing movie either. It may be to you.

"Am I the only one here who doesn't really view this as a series about chess at all?" was my statement. When I watched it the chess didn't really matter and wasn't what drew me in even though I do like and understand chess (but haven't played more than the odd game or two against unchallenging opponents like my cousins' and friends' young kids in 20 years). I was asking if anyone else watched/understood it from that angle, not saying that taking different things from it or even just enjoying the chess without considering anything else was "wrong".

That dude she beat in the first championship at 14 seems to be all over the place lately. He was just in that The Old Guard movie too

I just got a handy from him in the Walmart parking lot, it surprised the hell out of me when he walked away double counting the change I'd given him and took his mask off

I liked it. My only complaint is that they didn’t make it clear enough episode to episode how old she was.

it was weird seeing a 24 year old actress play a 14 year old and older. And she played them all the exact same way.
So I am on episode 3 and I'm kind of with you on this.

High school Beth is a babe.

This is really good.

I just finished this last night. Very good, quite beautiful show.

I know just enough about chess to know right away that the janitor was doing the "Scholar's Mate" in their first match.

Reactions: ill
the wife and just finished watching this.

I gotta say, it was way better than I thought it would be...we both really enjoyed it.

People were talking this up, so I finally had the time to watch it this week annnnd I was ultimately let down. Might sound strange, but I thought it would have more to do with her growth throughout playing chess and her rise, which it did have a lot of, but for as much as it was about chess, it felt like it was equally about addiction/ drug and drinking abuse. I enjoy chess and even taught my 5 and 8yo to play - but I was hoping for more... or a little different I guess.