tOfficial 2023 Season NFL Coaches Dead Pool

Which coaches will lose their jobs during or after the 2023 NFL Season?

• Bill Belichick

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Brian Dabol

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Ron Rivera

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Pete Carroll

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Kevin O'Connell

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Matt Eberflus

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Frank Reich

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Mike McCarthy

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Josh McDaniels

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Sean Payton

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
It's that time. Five weeks in and we now have a sense of which coaches are succeeding and which coaches just suck.
Heads will roll by the end of this season.

My candidates are:

1. Bill Belichick, Patriots. The emperor has no clothes. They have no QB, no defense and were outscored 64-3 in the last 2 games ending 10-8-2023. I don't see them improving. Robert Kraft may let Belichick finish the season out of respect, then give him the opportunity to resign/retire.

2. Brian Dabol. Giants. Daniel Jones is a turnover machine and is not the answer. The team looks like it has tuned Dabol out.

3. Ron Rivera, Commanders (nee Redskins). "Riverboat Ron" has a losing hand. Eric Bieniemy and/or Jack Del Rio could be fired to save face, but bottom line is Commanders seem to be stuck in neutral. 8-8-1 record last year screams neutral, and they are riding a 3 game losing streak.

4. Pete Carroll, Seahawks. Pete is getting long in the tooth, and the Seahawks can't get any traction in the playoffs. Pete doesn't push his players ard enough and it shows.

5. Kevin O'Connell, Vikings. Booming success last year, but the Vikings and Kirk Cousins seem to have fallen off a cliff. O'Connell may be given the benefit of the doubt for this year, but we'll see how that works out.

6. Matt Eberflus, Bears. Except for Sean Peyton's (discussed below) pathetic defense making Justin Field look like a young Cam Newton, Bears have stunk up the field.

7. Frank Reich, Panthers. 0-5 says it all. Unless they do a complete turnaround Reich is done.

8. Mike McCarthy, Cowboys. Predictable offense. 49ers exposed their defense. The last 2 playoff losses resulted in pathetic error prone embarrassing mistakes. Jerry Jones has a hard on for Dan Quinn anyway. Look for McCarthy to get shit canned.

9. Josh McDaniels, Raiders. McDaniels went 8-8, then 3-9 with the Broncos and they fired his ass during the season. With the Raiders he's gone 6-11 last season and is 1-3 this season pending the Monday Night game 10-9-2023. I don't see Raiders gaining any momentum under him. Another bridge too far for a former OC.

10. Sean Payton, Broncos. Time to crucify this savior. He came in with an "I'm so great" attitude and got reality checked by a hopeless defense, no O-line and Russell Wilson has gone Hollywood over football. That 70-20 point loss to Miami should have resulted in the DC being fired on the spot. You can't win if you don't have the talent and your QB isn't focused. Payton may resign instead of being fired since he doesn't want to have a shitty team fuck up his reputation.

Vote and discuss.

Bears HC is the only one I see getting fired during the season. Maybe McDaniels too but he's probably making too much for the Raiders to part with him midseason.

Rivera is the only one I see on the hot seat. CHI won't. Surprised not to see Tomlin on the list.

From the list I have:

Ron Rivera - he’s been given a lot of time but never a QB. I think they bring in a fresh coach and draft a QB early.

Matt Eberflus - if they continue to win games and look better maybe he and Fields survive. But if the season turns out as ugly as it has look at times, I think you get rid of both.

Mike McCarthy - if he and Dak don’t get a playoff win or two I think you‘ll see both jettisoned out of Dallas. Draft Quinn Ewers.

I think we are more likely to see Belichick retire. Firing Dabol would be stupid and another team would snatch him up quick. McDaniels would cost too much to fire.

And I’m tired of the Sean Payton hot takes. He‘s a great head coach, give the man some fucking time. It’s looking like that roster is going to need a complete overhaul. He doesn’t care about winning games as much as he cares about instilling his culture and rooting out cancers (Randy Gregory). Broncos have been poorly run for almost a decade.

They're in second place in their division. Not stellar performers, but not showing a total collapse either.

What's your argument to include him?
He is a horrible coach, makes terrible decisions, doesn’t have his defense playing well for multiple seasons now. Herbert carries that team to victories despite the coaching of Staley. He was at the helm for one of the biggest playoffs chokes last year. He should have been fired on the spot for that.

I have not heard any Chargers fans (theres a few) say a good thing about him. One fan texted me after they beat the Vikings and Raiders and said that they were good wins but LA should still fire Staley heading into the bye week.

They are wasting Herbert.

--Dead man walking--
Rivera. New ownership will want their own people brought in. Not even sure a playoff berth would save him.

--Maybe--
Frank Reich. If the team goes winless or only wins 1 game, I could see him fired. Looks like the owners is a impatient meddler and those types would tend to fire a coach after just a single season.

Eberflus. If the Bears end up bad enough to have TWO top 5 picks, that is the perfect time for the FO to clean house and bring in a new regime. However, he might stick around if the Bears manage to win a few games and Fields shows some consistent improvement.

--No way they get fired--
Pete Carrol. No way is Seattle going to can Pete. The team overachieved and made the playoffs last year and it looks like they're doing it again this year despite a rash of Oline injuries.

Dabol. He just won coach of the year. Now the team is regressing, but the NY FO will give him another season to try and right the ship due to the injuries and bad bounces they've had this year.

Payton. With him getting such a big contract, no way they fire him after just one year. They'll give him another year at least.

9. Josh McDaniels, Raiders. McDaniels went 8-8, then 3-9 with the Broncos and they fired his ass during the season. With the Raiders he's gone 6-11 last season and is 1-3 this season pending the Monday Night game 10-9-2023. I don't see Raiders gaining any momentum under him. Another bridge too far for a former OC.

Josh McDaniels fired by the Raiders. Dave Ziegler, GM also fired.

Seahawks need to clean house, starting with Pete Carroll, the OC, DC and GM.

Year after year the fail to put a competent defense in place against the run. The offense continues to be basic, unimaginative and predictable.

For maybe the 8th year in a row, I repeat, "Seahawks are going nowhere with that defense."

Well I picked McDaniels, Eberflus, & Rivera.

McDaniels already toast.
Rivera looks like will make it until the final game of season (but with the skins who knows?)
Eberflus I still believe gets canned at end of season but might hang on with some form of excuses.

Well I picked McDaniels, Eberflus, & Rivera.

McDaniels already toast.
Rivera looks like will make it until the final game of season (but with the skins who knows?)
Eberflus I still believe gets canned at end of season but might hang on with some form of excuses.

No love for Brandon Staley? I can’t think of a single coach who does less with more talent.

No love for Brandon Staley? I can’t think of a single coach who does less with more talent.
well we made our picks earlier in the season. & the OP didnt add him, but if I were a Chargers fan. I wouldnt be happy!