tOfficial Angel Hernandez Thread

Just a tangent. Has anybody ever seen stats broken down into # of strikeouts swinging vs taken?
I look at it for my team every week :suds: KS vs KL

There will be bad calls with robo umps too... ...someone bumps a sensor & messes up the whole system's calibration... ...a bug interferes with the optics during a pitch... ...the auto-calibration of the strike zone based on the player's physique fails and the robo ump gives Kolten Wong the same strike zone as Rowdy Tellez... ...and a million other possible faults in robo-umping...
TV networks seem to make it work alright.

TV networks seem to make it work alright.
TV networks aren't actually calling the balls & strikes; they're reporting overlaid approximations. The stakes raise drastically when those optics control the game.

TV networks aren't actually calling the balls & strikes; they're reporting overlaid approximations. The stakes raise drastically when those optics control the game.
Perhaps. I've yet to see anyone show an example where that TV system goes against what the umpire called and then sides with the umpire.

Technology will improve over time. Humans will always be stupid

Perhaps. I've yet to see anyone show an example where that TV system goes against what the umpire called and then sides with the umpire.
Fair point; but as viewers our attention in those telecasts are drawn to ump mistakes and not digital mistakes. If we watch for it, I bet we see plenty of examples.

Also, the strike zone and ball borders on those telecasts represent an inch or two of strike zone and pitch location uncertainty. An inch or two is a very significant uncertainty for a system that would be controlling the game.

Technology will improve over time. Humans will always be stupid

Fair point; but also fair to play devil's advocate and say "why not replace all the players with robots, too, if human error is such a major problem?"

Personally, I'm not in favor of replacing humans with robots. My favor resides in replacing humans that are shitty at their job with other more proficient humans. I suppose I'm probably in the minority of people that accept and appreciate that human error is part of the organic allure of athletic competition.

Fair point; but as viewers our attention in those telecasts are drawn to ump mistakes and not digital mistakes. If we watch for it, I bet we see plenty of examples.

Also, the strike zone and ball borders on those telecasts represent an inch or two of strike zone and pitch location uncertainty. An inch or two is a very significant uncertainty for a system that would be controlling the game.

Fair point; but also fair to play devil's advocate and say "why not replace all the players with robots, too, if human error is such a major problem?"

Personally, I'm not in favor of replacing humans with robots. My favor resides in replacing humans that are shitty at their job with other more proficient humans. I suppose I'm probably in the minority of people that accept and appreciate that human error is part of the organic allure of athletic competition.
one of the two will have to happen. Either umps will be replaced by robots or they will have to be held accountable. If you are below average for a season you are on probation. It happens again the next season and you are fired. Very simple. To me that has been what the robot umps are being used for, leverage with the Umpires union. "abide by these accountability rules or we will fire you all"

looks like they stopped tweeting after this.

Coincidence I Think Not GIF

Human error is fine to a degree. If terrible umpires were ever held accountable, I wouldn’t be calling for robots calling balls and strikes, but the umpire union has to be one of the strongest in the world. How many umpires spend years in the minor leagues because the union won’t allow for umpires like Hernandez to be replaced?

Angel has been terrible since forever.

Check out the dude that hired him....

Angel has been terrible since forever.

Check out the dude that hired him....

I caught a game with an ump with a zone like this once. At one point, I was lined up off the plate because I wanted the pitcher to miss. Pitch nailed my target 2-3 inches off the plate, called strike. Figured out he was giving me to my outside knee. By the 4th inning, my inside foot was barely on the outside corner of the plate. Told everyone who was pitching to make him call it a ball, and then I'd walk it back in.