Trey Lance to Dallas

Thread has effectively been hijacked by food talk....

Oh, I didn’t see the Packers avatar on your profile. Sorry the Niners made the Packers their bitch since forever. Must really suck for you.
At least I have a championship to savor, within relatively recent memory. Clinging to a handful of playoff wins over a 30-year period is depressingly Cowboys-esque.

Today, in "who gives a fuck" news

Thread has effectively been hijacked by food talk....

tenor.gif

Lol 49ers. Huge ROI
Absolutely. 49ers have butchered their number 1's with Shannahan and Lynch big time. Let's not forget Hoyer was their QB when they selected Solomon Thomas at 3 when Mahomes on the board. Their number #12 they traded for Lance could have been Micah Parsons. How about Parsons and Bosa. Indirectly led to Miami getting Hill and Eagles getting DeVonta Smith. And then sold the farm for McCaffery for more number 1's. Probably could have won maybe 2 Super Bowls or been in two had they not butchered their top picks. And going forward if Purdy doesn't work out down the table.

Good pickup for the Cowboys. This opens up McCarthy's playbook to more possibilities in the running game. I like it, low risk.

JimmyG was a miss also. Purdy had a good half year last year, let's see how he does this year. Lynch still has missed on everything but Purdy.
I wouldn't call.Jimny a miss. I think a 2nd round pick a fair exchange. Shanahan is.more than responsible for offensive player selection. It isn't the dominant GM structure

Let's not forget that Bears traded up to draft Mitch Trubisky when Mahomes was on the board
There were issues with Mahomes coming out of college. He was not among the top ranked prospect. Credit Andy Reid for drafting him but he was not the clear cut choice coming out of college

There were issues with Mahomes coming out of college. He was not among the top ranked prospect. Credit Andy Reid for drafting him but he was not the clear cut choice coming out of college
He was Jay Cutler.

That's what EVERY scouting report said. Big arm, good athlete, makes dumb throws cuz of big arm.

Not at all, just a troll meme. And Trey will probably be the 3rd QB under the new rules. SF should have done the same but I bet Trey was a cancer as soon as he lost out to Sam.
Once Trey was told by Shanahan he was the third string QB, Lance asked for a trade. At that point I guess they felt it was best to just get him off the books.

I have not put my two cents on this so far. But this was a major screw up by Shanahan and the FO. They drafted a raw prospect with very limited experience that played a lower level conference. Even before Purdy came along there were already issues. The 49ers let Jimmy G walk during the last offseason and basically anointed Lance as the starter and the future of the franchise. During the offseason he was not named the captain which in of itself is not a huge deal but from minicamp on there were numerous reports coming out that the coaching staff was not pleased with his development. They brought Jimmy G back which was a red flag that they weren't confident in Lance. Then when he did start the season the coaching staff did not trust Lance to throw the ball. Even on third down passing situations the coaching staff was calling QB runs and sweeps. I think Lance had the lowest passing rate among the QBs in his class. Maybe the coaching staff had unrealistic expectations given his experience and the team's urgency in winning with this roster of players. Lance's running skills were overrated coming out of college. He isn't quick or elusive. He put his chin down and ran over smaller defensive players in college but he can't do that in the pros. He needs work in the passing game. Accuracy was an issue coming out of college. He did work on his mechanics during the offseason and might have improved on that. His best game right now is deeper dropbacks and throwing downfieldor moving around and buying time. But Shanahan likes QBs that can make quick reads and go through progressions. Lance needs major work on that and his short to medium range accuracy needs alot of work. Maybe with experience he figures it out, maybe he doesn't

He was Jay Cutler.

That's what EVERY scouting report said. Big arm, good athlete, makes dumb throws cuz of big arm.
Yes, he was wild and took too many chances

Huh? Mahomes was most certainly among the top-ranked qb's coming out, most draftniks had him being drafted somewhere within the top 15 picks. Of course, no one could've imagined he'd be as good as he's become, but he certainly wasnt some "project" that Andy Reid bravely took a flyer on and drafted. On top of that, I clearly remember wondering why in the world Trubisky was receiving so much hype, given what I saw during UNC games, I just didnt see some up-and-coming star that was a cant miss, bonafide top-3 talent.