Series Thread Vegas Golden Knights vs. Dallas Stars (Conference Finals)

Fire Deboer people need to stfu.
Lehner is the better goalie, not even close
Everyone wants a cup
Expectations are way too high. Because of a rigged expansion draft, there was sufficient talent to make the playoffs in each of the 3 years of existence. Going to the conference finals this year and the SC finals in Year 1 was a product of very good coaching, but the bar has been set high. With a proper farm system, we'll see how VGK performs in the rest of its first decade. My guess is, the team regresses to the mean more than a little bit. It'll be interesting to see how the fanbase responds.

Vegas’ expansion draft was setup to make them a contender straight out of the gate. All these other teams listed were at a huge disadvantage when coming into the league. Each one has had to fight for what they have.

Vegas also got shafted on the Entry Draft though.

Imagine them getting a top pick like Atlanta/Columbus/Minnesota did... plop Cale Makar in there...

Felt something like this
View attachment 3431

The Golden Pyrite Knights
giphy.gif

Expectations are way too high. Because of a rigged expansion draft, there was sufficient talent to make the playoffs in each of the 3 years of existence. Going to the conference finals this year and the SC finals in Year 1 was a product of very good coaching, but the bar has been set high. With a proper farm system, we'll see how VGK performs in the rest of its first decade. My guess is, the team regresses to the mean more than a little bit. It'll be interesting to see how the fanbase responds.
How was it rigged?

My buddy sent me this. Thoughts?

The hot takes are rolling out of Las Vegas right now.
Top 3:
- Fire DeBoer (I don’t totally agree, but he did make some questionable choices. Goalies, messing with the only line that was worth a shit)
- Should have never signed Lenher. MAF would have them in the final.
- Nobody wants the COVID cup and the good teams (including Vegas) threw the tournament.
Idk about DeBoer, but I am not calling for him to be fired.

Lehner is better than Fleury and he has more time left than Fleury. I wasn't shocked by this at all. Though I did expect Fleury to be used more than he was throughout the playoffs.

No one threw the Cup and I am on record saying that there is no asterisk to this cup either. Whoever wins, it's legit. Right now I am rooting for the Isles, though I am not expecting a 3 game comeback... so I will root for the Lightning in the Cup.

How was it rigged?
The 2017 expansion draft decreed that existing teams could protect only 11 players on the roster, and not including players with fewer than three professional seasons. Previous expansion drafts allowed teams to protect up to 15 players (Thrashers, Predators, Ducks, Panthers), 16 players (Senators, Lightning). I forget what the Sharks were allowed, but I think it may've been even more.

Also, on top of that, Vegas was able to trade with teams for non-interference, in other words: "We won't draft your unprotected player, if you give us X". That was never allowed previously.

I understand the intent is to make the team more competitive than in years' past. The goal is to make the team more popular with the nascent fanbase without the fear of losing 60 games. But when you're taking the top 7-8 forwards or the top 3-4 defensemen off of teams who can't afford to keep & protect more than 11 guys, that's already a competitive. Add a good coach and hot goalie and you can go crazy in the playoffs.

We'll do the same stupid thing with the Seattle Krak-heads next year, and probably all pretend to be surprised when they win their division too.

The 2017 expansion draft decreed that existing teams could protect only 11 players on the roster, and not including players with fewer than three professional seasons. Previous expansion drafts allowed teams to protect up to 15 players (Thrashers, Predators, Ducks, Panthers), 16 players (Senators, Lightning). I forget what the Sharks were allowed, but I think it may've been even more.

Also, on top of that, Vegas was able to trade with teams for non-interference, in other words: "We won't draft your unprotected player, if you give us X". That was never allowed previously.

I understand the intent is to make the team more competitive than in years' past. The goal is to make the team more popular with the nascent fanbase without the fear of losing 60 games. But when you're taking the top 7-8 forwards or the top 3-4 defensemen off of teams who can't afford to keep & protect more than 11 guys, that's already a competitive. Add a good coach and hot goalie and you can go crazy in the playoffs.

We'll do the same stupid thing with the Seattle Krak-heads next year,

Never followed the draft stuff. Interesting.

and probably all pretend to be surprised when they win their division too.
maxresdefault.jpg

The Knights Who Say Nope.

This was definitely unexpected.

spanish time GIF

Never followed the draft stuff. Interesting.
There’s fair, and then there’s overkill. The pendulum has probably swung too far in the direction of making the new team competitive. It’s not even clear that a farm system can be set up effectively in <3 years.
maxresdefault.jpg

Sorry. Karma, I suppose for some people.

There’s fair, and then there’s overkill. The pendulum has probably swung too far in the direction of making the new team competitive. It’s not even clear that a farm system can be set up effectively in <3 years.
maxresdefault.jpg

Sorry. Karma, I suppose for some people.
What do you think they should do? Meet in the middle - allow for 13 players protected?

Personally, I am fine with essentially trading for not taking certain players. Sports are strategy games, drafts are part of that.

What do you think they should do? Meet in the middle - allow for 13 players protected?
Something like that, yeah. I understand the logic of more teams = less star talent --> more unprotected players to be taken. 11 was clearly too few, and while the star power of the existing franchises wasn't that diluted, the resulting VGK was far too powerful. Maybe protect 13-14 on the top squad, and allow an extra player to be taken from the AHL/ECHL affiliates. That way, the farm system is more properly established and the team has a proper building process. With good coaching, such an expansion team could still make the playoffs in its 3rd year. (The Lightning managed to do it in their 4th year, the Panthers famously reached the SC Finals in their 3rd year.)
Personally, I am fine with essentially trading for not taking certain players. Sports are strategy games, drafts are part of that.
That was worse IMO. It ends up that the expansion team kinda gets to control every other franchise's unprotected 12 players + minor league roster. Trade for a player for other players, prospects or draft picks. Not a bargaining chip to (not) blackmail another team's roster.

Something like that, yeah. I understand the logic of more teams = less star talent --> more unprotected players to be taken. 11 was clearly too few, and while the star power of the existing franchises wasn't that diluted, the resulting VGK was far too powerful. Maybe protect 13-14 on the top squad, and allow an extra player to be taken from the AHL/ECHL affiliates. That way, the farm system is more properly established and the team has a proper building process. With good coaching, such an expansion team could still make the playoffs in its 3rd year. (The Lightning managed to do it in their 4th year, the Panthers famously reached the SC Finals in their 3rd year.)

That was worse IMO. It ends up that the expansion team kinda gets to control every other franchise's unprotected 12 players + minor league roster. Trade for a player for other players, prospects or draft picks. Not a bargaining chip to (not) blackmail another team's roster.
Strategy lol.