Welp, Florida State is taking their ball and going

Ok, have to admit to not paying a lot of attention to this. What is it that we own an apology for? That they are contesting it? I think we all saw that coming. Other than that, nothing has happened. The odds are still very long they get out of the GOR.

This is a do-or-die situation for the ACC. If they lose the GOR, they are done. This isn't something that can be negotiated. This can't be settled because if they do, they may lose Clemson and others and if that happens the ACC is dead as a football conference.
Just doubting that this thing had legs at all at the time it was posted. FSU may well be stuck in the ACC mud up to their face paint (likely) but there is now no doubt at all that they are seriously trying to break the ACC’s GOR that nobody is allowed to see. It wasn’t just lip service.

Not sure what this means exactly.
I thought if you signed a contract, you got a copy.
From my understanding, that’s not the case with the ACC ATM. Anyone wishing to read it now must go to the ACC office, under supervision to view their GOR and then they are not allowed to make copies, or take pictures ect. of the part of the contract that the party is interested in to take with them.

Just doubting that this thing had legs at all at the time it was posted. FSU may well be stuck in the ACC mud up to their face paint (likely) but there is now no doubt at all that they are seriously trying to break the ACC’s GOR that nobody is allowed to see. It wasn’t just lip service.
Maybe I am wrong, but I think we all saw this coming at some point. It's not likely they will succeed, the odds are long.

From my understanding, that’s not the case with the ACC ATM. Anyone wishing to read it now must go to the ACC office, under supervision to view their GOR and then they are not allowed to make copies, or take pictures ect. of the part of the contract that the party is interested in to take with them.
This is true. It's likely a way to avoid the FOIAs that the universities would be subject to, but the ACC isn't.

This is being made out to be some sinister thing by the ACC Web-Attorneys on X, of which there are a billion. They are almost as dumb as the Web-Attorneys we have here who read a few things and think they have a cogent argument. It's not sinister at all, everyone agreed to it - it's not like the ACC decided to do this unilaterally ... FSU voted for and signed the agreement that says it has to remain under lock and key.

So you send your atty who takes notes.

It's sure to be subpoenaed in court anyway as part of discovery. No way a judge denies that request.

So you send your atty who takes notes.

It's sure to be subpoenaed in court anyway as part of discovery. No way a judge denies that request.
Could be done under a protective order. In that FSU signed the original agreement to keep it confidential, it would be hard for them to argue it should now be made public.

I am not being critical with what I am about to type. I understood what you typed. Definitely being pedantic, but thought you might want to know a little more about this:

- In a lawsuit, all parties are subject to discovery. You don't have to subpoena anything. You send your discovery to the other side and they generally have 30 days to respond. Extensions are common. Discovery motions to force responses are common. A ton of gamesmanship goes into the discovery process, but they don't have to be filed with the court until you are going to use them at trial. Parties are supposed to be self-governing and self-policing in discovery. Judges get touchy when parties can't resolve their own discovery disputes. I won $35,000 in a lawsuit I filed in 2010 for discovery sanctions against the other side for being assholes in discovery.

- Subpoenas are used to get information from 3rd parties that are not parties to the litigation. If I want to get medical records from a hospital, I have to serve them with a subpoena. Same for doctors, professionals, police departments, etc. If they don't think they should have to respond, they can file a motion to quash the subpoena. Normally they are required to provide the information. Again, a judge will get really pissed off if a 3rd party tries to jerk the parties around. In the same suit I mentioned above, I had a falling out with a guy who was a really good friend of mine in our industry who sided with the defendant. My lawyer fucked with him for 2 years. It cost me 10 grand in lawyers fees, but that fucker's life was miserable for 2 years. The judge was not happy when he kept refusing to respond to our subpoenas. FWIW, I won the lawsuit, so it wasn't like I was being a total jerk.

Again, all for edification.

Again...................How do you sign a contract and not get a copy.

Damson Idris Business GIF by Snowfall

When the contract they signed says, even tho you signed this contract, you do not get a copy of the contract you just signed.
I guess

meh

college football has gone way the hell beyond retarded

Within the contract, the parties agree that no copies of the contract will be maintained anywhere other than [entity and address here].

There is nothing sinister here ... just an attempt to keep the contents of the GOR confidential by making sure it is not in 15 other locations where it could easily be copied and distributed by, say, a malcontent school like FSU.

Within the contract, the parties agree that no copies of the contract will be maintained anywhere other than [entity and address here].
That sounds reasonable,,,, not sure why anyone would do that. But sure, I guess.

I meant negotiating the price down. I would think given how powerful the networks are in this that the ACC (espn) would be willing to cut some type of break if FSU was going to the SEC (Espn). But given that the B1G is Foxs baby, I don’t see any break given. But who knows, maybe I’m off here. It’s still a ton of cheddar.
Problem is the size in question. I am sure someone else here has the exact figure, but it is like 500 million. I am sure the ACC would let them go for 400 million in cash today, but that still doesn’t help FSU. I am not sure they can afford 40 million

Problem is the size in question. I am sure someone else here has the exact figure, but it is like 500 million. I am sure the ACC would let them go for 400 million in cash today, but that still doesn’t help FSU. I am not sure they can afford 40 million
The ACC isn't settling. If they settle and don't defend the GOR it will be the death of their conference.

Sucks that the committee is trying to kill a program.

What committee, and what do they have to do with transfers?
The playoff committee. Do you seriously think this many players would be opting out or transferring if they were playing for the national title in the playoff, like they rightfully earned?

The playoff committee. Do you seriously think this many players would be opting out or transferring if they were playing for the national title in the playoff, like they rightfully earned?

Point taken. Georgia's got a good share of portals going too.

Has anyone checked Michigan, Washington, Texas, or Alabama's outgoing portals?