Welp, Florida State is taking their ball and going

Point taken. Georgia's got a good share of portals going too.
I think UGA has a claim too, just a small one lol, but FSU was hosed.
Has anyone checked Michigan, Washington, Texas, or Alabama's outgoing portals?
No idea, but no one is talking about it on twitter from all the CFB pages I follow, so I doubt it's many (if any).

I think UGA has a claim too, just a small one lol, but FSU was hosed.

No idea, but no one is talking about it on twitter from all the CFB pages I follow, so I doubt it's many (if any).

Just reiterating your point that there would be as many transfers if they were in the CFP.

Problem is the size in question. I am sure someone else here has the exact figure, but it is like 500 million. I am sure the ACC would let them go for 400 million in cash today, but that still doesn’t help FSU. I am not sure they can afford 40 million
A few on X said $572 million to roll now. As lawdawg said though the ACC negotiating when they have this ”ironclad” GoR would be their death.

A side note, apparently ESPN has an option not to reupp after the 2026 season with ACC. It’s laughable to think they won’t as they are getting them on the cheap and likely lose a few brands to the B1G (FOX) if they don’t continue on with the ACC.

The ACC isn't settling. If they settle and don't defend the GOR it will be the death of their conference.
That is pure hyperbole. FSU leaving is not the death of their conference. That would leave 16 teams in the ACC.. The would still get an automatic playoff invite, not to mention the BBall portion. FSU owes 572 million according to the internet. That represents 12 years of payments. The present value of that is 357 million using 4%. If you propose a 90% settlement, that would be ~515 million settlement or 32 million dividend to each school (gross, fees will be taken out of that) and 80% would ~458 million, call that like 28.5 million dividend.. There is no way the current schools are in better shape keeping FSU, than settling at those numbers. That said FSU couldn’t afford that

my rumor has it that the Big 12 will absorb the ACC after they decide to dissolve
The writing seems to be on the wall. CFB will look like the NFL. Instead of AFC and NFC, it will be SEC and Big 10. It is going to take time for that to happen, so you might as well collect as much cash as you can and build your program up for that final beauty pageant. ACC is pretty much the BIg 12 anyway. Neither have a true blue blood football team. ACC is a bit better off, but both are basketball conferences

my rumor has it that the Big 12 will absorb the ACC after they decide to dissolve
So Pitt, VT, Syracuse, BC, Louisville, Duke join WVU, Cincy and UCF to form a revised BigEast…. EASTERN Big12?

allow-it.gif

That is pure hyperbole. FSU leaving is not the death of their conference. That would leave 16 teams in the ACC.. The would still get an automatic playoff invite, not to mention the BBall portion. FSU owes 572 million according to the internet. That represents 12 years of payments. The present value of that is 357 million using 4%. If you propose a 90% settlement, that would be ~515 million settlement or 32 million dividend to each school (gross, fees will be taken out of that) and 80% would ~458 million, call that like 28.5 million dividend.. There is no way the current schools are in better shape keeping FSU, than settling at those numbers. That said FSU couldn’t afford that
The problem with this is FSU is not the only one from the ACC seeking greener pastures. Yes the ACC can survive losing FSU, but losing 4 of their top brands? The ACC has no choice but to fight at the very least until ESPN reupps in 2027. And ESPN absolutely will with the current ACC intact. Losing 4 before that reupp Would be disastrous. But all this is moot as you are right neither FSU nor anyone is affording $572 million. But in 5 years and about $200 million less??? Anything is possible.

So Pitt, VT, Syracuse, BC, Louisville, Duke join WVU, Cincy and UCF to form a revised BigEast…. EASTERN Big12?

View attachment 113869
Brotha let’s be honest here, it’s going to take a major catastrophe to have Duke join the B12. They undoubtedly imo would choose a new academic minded ACC before joint the B12. I’m starting to think Pitt will be that way too.

The B12s realistic wish list should be NCst, Virginia Tech, Louisville and…….Clemson. Clemson isn’t getting an invite to the B1G, and it Feels like they aren’t the SECs first or second choice. The B12 needs the SEC/B1G to take schools that will never come to the B12 (UNC, Virginia, Miami, fsu, Duke). The ACC losing those brands will absolutely crush their next media deal. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Brotha let’s be honest here, it’s going to take a major catastrophe to have Duke join the B12. They undoubtedly imo would choose a new academic minded ACC before joint the B12. I’m starting to think Pitt will be that way too.

The B12s realistic wish list should be NCst, Virginia Tech, Louisville and…….Clemson. Clemson isn’t getting an invite to the B1G, and it Feels like they aren’t the SECs first choice. The B12 needs the SEC/B1G to take schools that will never come to the B12 (UNC, Virginia, Miami, fsu, Duke). The ACC losing those brands will absolutely crush their nexts media deal. Just my 2 cents.
Be interesting to see how it all shakes out. IF the Big 2 take say any combo of … FSU, UNC, UVA, GT, Miami,Clemson (I’m not sold on Duke football being all that desirable but..maybe) what the projected media deal would be for those remaining ACC schools will be. Will it be anything close to the Big12’s? If so and those leftovers were to invite WVU,Cincy, UCF to backfill, I think they’d bolt the Big12 in a heartbeat but.. it all depends on the money and how feasible it would be.

Be interesting to see how it all shakes out. IF the Big 2 take say any combo of … FSU, UNC, UVA, GT, Miami,Clemson (I’m not sold on Duke football being all that desirable but..maybe) what the projected media deal would be for those remaining ACC schools will be. Will it be anything close to the Big12’s? If so and those leftovers were to invite WVU,Cincy, UCF to backfill, I think they’d bolt the Big12 in a heartbeat but.. it all depends on the money and how feasible it would be.
The money is the main part of it. But another factor is who the ACC would want to backfill with. Rumors (on X, I know) were USF, UConn and Tulane to get back to 15 if 6 would bounce. How would programs like NCst and VaTech feel about those additions and what does a network deal realistically look like with that?

It’s all pretty much moot right now as no school is affording $572 million dollars to bounce.

The problem with this is FSU is not the only one from the ACC seeking greener pastures. Yes the ACC can survive losing FSU, but losing 4 of their top brands? The ACC has no choice but to fight at the very least until ESPN reupps in 2027. And ESPN absolutely will with the current ACC intact. Losing 4 before that reupp Would be disastrous. But all this is moot as you are right neither FSU nor anyone is affording $572 million. But in 5 years and about $200 million less??? Anything is possible.
I dont think there are a lot of schools that could leave. To be honest I would be surprised if the Big 10 or SEC were excited about FSU. I could see Virginia and the BIg 10. UNC is probably the 1 school the SEC or Big 10 would be willing to shake things up for at the moment. I think that will eventually be the next power play. Big 10 making the move for Virginia and UNC. The SEC will not let that happen without a fight

The would still get an automatic playoff invite, not to mention the BBall portion. FSU owes 572 million according to the internet. That represents 12 years of payments. The present value of that is 357 million using 4%. If you propose a 90% settlement, that would be ~515 million settlement or 32 million dividend to each school (gross, fees will be taken out of that) and 80% would ~458 million, call that like 28.5 million dividend.. There is no way the current schools are in better shape keeping FSU, than settling at those numbers. That said FSU couldn’t afford that

No conference has an automatic playoff invite.

I dont think there are a lot of schools that could leave. To be honest I would be surprised if the Big 10 or SEC were excited about FSU. I could see Virginia and the BIg 10. UNC is probably the 1 school the SEC or Big 10 would be willing to shake things up for at the moment. I think that will eventually be the next power play. Big 10 making the move for Virginia and UNC. The SEC will not let that happen without a fight
FSU is a crazy good get for the B1G. Eventually FSU will be AAU, is a big brand and in the middle of SEC country. I agree that UNC is the #1 target from the ACC for both of the P2 but the B1G would absolutely take FSU with them imo. SEC could take FSU to block the B1G from getting in Florida but then the B1G could call Miami. But we do agree that most if not all aren’t affording the GoR buyout right now. And in a few years things could change.

No conference has an automatic playoff invite.
I believe it is the top 6 conference champs get an automatic bid. To my knowledge they have not changed the language. If you want to say that doesn’t mean the ACC will get a bid in the 12 team playoff, fine, but it’s a 99% chance their champion get in

I believe it is the top 6 conference champs get an automatic bid. To my knowledge they have not changed the language. If you want to say that doesn’t mean the ACC will get a bid in the 12 team playoff, fine, but it’s a 99% chance their champion get in

2 things.

1. It is certainly possible for upsets to happen and an unranked team to win a CCG.
2. It is highly likely it goes to 5 conference champs; the 5 + 7 model was presented this fall with the demise of the PAC, but has not been voted on yet.

FSU is a crazy good get for the B1G. Eventually FSU will be AAU, is a big brand and in the middle of SEC country. I agree that UNC is the #1 target from the ACC for both of the P2 but the B1G would absolutely take FSU with them imo. SEC could take FSU to block the B1G from getting in Florida but then the B1G could call Miami. But we do agree that most if not all aren’t affording the GoR buyout right now. And in a few years things could change.
FSU is fine, but I don’t see it as a must get. It’s far and probably needs to be brought in with someone else. Big 10 isn’t going to all of sudden be heavily involved in Florida by adding FSU.

2 things.

1. It is certainly possible for upsets to happen and an unranked team to win a CCG.
2. It is highly likely it goes to 5 conference champs; the 5 + 7 model was presented this fall with the demise of the PAC, but has not been voted on yet.
Given that Big 12, ACC, and G5 will be involved in the voting, lowering the number is going to be tough. Maybe it goes to 5, but that still makes the ACC pretty safe. It’s possible an unranked team wins, but highly improbable. Conference understood that and they scuttled the division format, because of that possibility.

Last edited:
B1G is now the greatest sports conference in any sport in the entire history of Planet Earth, including the Gladiators era.

FSU is fine, but I don’t see it as a must get. It’s far and probably needs to be brought in with someone else. Big 10 isn’t going to all of sudden be heavily involved in Florida by adding FSU.
It’s probably the 3rd biggest get not in the P2 left, only behind ND and UNC. It’s certainly not going to hurt the B1G teams recruiting Florida playing there every other year. I do think the B1G would try and add a couple of ACC schools when the years start dwindling on the GoR and price tag goes down.