What are you reading?

ill

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
I just finished Iron Gold by Pierce Brown. Really great start to the second trilogy of his Red Rising universe. Looking forward to Dark Age, which is on my shelf.

Going to take a sci fi break and read some nonfiction first with The Bastard Brigade by Sam Kean.

I just finished Iron Gold by Pierce Brown. Really great start to the second trilogy of his Red Rising universe. Looking forward to Dark Age, which is on my shelf.

Going to take a sci fi break and read some nonfiction first with The Bastard Brigade by Sam Kean.
Still waiting on the third in the second trilogy to come out.

I'm about 2/3rds through my re-read of Words of Radiance, then planning on going back through Oathbringer in preparation for Rhythm of War's release in November.

Still waiting on the third in the second trilogy to come out.

I'm about 2/3rds through my re-read of Words of Radiance, then planning on going back through Oathbringer in preparation for Rhythm of War's release in November.
man, there is no way I could go back and reread those tombs. They are just two massive to go through again.

I am looking forward to Rhythm of War though.

man, there is no way I could go back and reread those tombs. They are just two massive to go through again.

I am looking forward to Rhythm of War though.

I have them on audible, so I can listen on my way to work, mowing the grass, or playing golf. Still a lot, but I wanted to refresh and see all the details I missed leading up to RoW.

I have them on audible, so I can listen on my way to work, mowing the grass, or playing golf. Still a lot, but I wanted to refresh and see all the details I missed leading up to RoW.
aren't they like at least 25 hr audiobooks?

even listening at 1.5x speed, that's a long audiobook

Just finishing Ken Follett's last int he Kingsbridge series which is perfect timing for the release of the prequel coming in less than a month, set at the end of the Dark Ages in 997.

Next up? Going to read The Far Pavilions.

I started the George Smiley books last night by John La Carre.

It's really good writing and I am interested in seeing if books from the 60's withstand the test of time.

aren't they like at least 25 hr audiobooks?

even listening at 1.5x speed, that's a long audiobook
Over 40 each. While long, they don't bore me. Neither does his other series I listen to on Audible.

Hard to find time to sit down with a book with kids and prepping for my courses, but it's a lot easier to drive my 2 hours a day, mow, and walk 18 while listening.

Reactions: ill
When Rhythm of War comes out I'm just going to read it without going back to the other three books first. I used to do that but even on re-reads, I get lost. Now I'll just take what I can get from the current book and recall whatever I can from the earlier ones. I think I have the main plot points.

When Rhythm of War comes out I'm just going to read it without going back to the other three books first. I used to do that but even on re-reads, I get lost. Now I'll just take what I can get from the current book and recall whatever I can from the earlier ones. I think I have the main plot points.
I went and read a couple recaps

but if a book doesn't give you enough to go on about what happened last book, that is a gap on the author. They need to give you a little something.

I just finished the latest Dresden book, which is like book 16 or something and it gave me enough to piece together what happened last book...same with Red Rising.

Sanderson knows what he is doing.

RhythmofWar_typecover_600px.jpg

the art on his covers is just fantastic...

I am still trying to decide if I want to pre-order it...I only have Oathbringer, but I could get the other two so I have all 4...

and they would be a pain in the dick if I ever move. Heavy big books. I might just get the ebooks on my kindle.

the art on his covers is just fantastic...

I am still trying to decide if I want to pre-order it...I only have Oathbringer, but I could get the other two so I have all 4...

and they would be a pain in the dick if I ever move. Heavy big books. I might just get the ebooks on my kindle.

I briefly considered his kickstarter for the leather bound 10th anniversary of Way of Kings, but didn't pull the trigger. May be something I regret 20 years down the road when the series may be close to finishing and he is considered in the top tier fantasy authors of all time (Tolkien, Jordan, Martin,etc), which he's talented enough to be considered now, but then I'd feel compelled to buy each new leather bound to complete the set when I only listen to audible books now.

Out of sheer curiosity I’m reading The Room Where it Happened by Bolton. I won’t make this PF worthy....I’ll just say a few things (I’m about halfway through)

I am not a fan of Bolton. I don’t detest him either.

It’s not a total Trump hit piece. He could REALLY have gone after Trump more.

(So far) he really doesn’t insert himself overtly much. As he tells it is believable and realistic.

going non-fiction next.

Any of you ever read Sam Kean? I love his stuff and picked up his latest The Bastard Brigade about the building of the nuclear bomb and how we kept the Nazis from getting there.

Just finished The Monuments: Cyclings's Greatest One-Day Races. about to start Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman.

On a philosophy kick right now. Doing a survey of The Cambridfe Dictionary of Philosophy.