What Does UCLA do?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 10,500.00

Basically, the article points out that Chip Kelly left a buyout on the table to get out of dodge and probably feels that UCLA is going to struggle to compete in the B1G even with:

- Extremely nice campus
- Metropolitan city
- B1G money (full share not the 50% some lesser programs settled for)

Problems with the UCLA job:
- Housing super expensive for assistants
- Taxes are punitive for assistants in California
- LA has some current "political" problems
- LA market does not care about UCLA and USC seems to have cornered the CFB market there

This has to be one of the most challenging jobs in the Power 2 and now they have to find a coach during the worst time to be doing a search plus the players can enter the portal for the next 30 days and if they leave there won't be any that UCLA can grab until after Spring.

If I had to guess the best talent UCLA has will either get a substantial NIL bump (which will stretch funds) or they will leave and be almost impossible to replace. I'm not sure who is going to be brave enough to take this job.

To the problems I would add, lack of commitment from the administration.

In addition to its history, what athletic department allows its HC go be an offensive coordinator for a conference rival?

That’s about as weak and as poor as it gets.

That said, Alex Golesh would probably work until he had a better opportunity.

There are countless type of coaches that UCLA could hire, especially for a short term trial.

-Gus Malzahn
-Bryan Harsin
-Kevin Sumlin
-Rich Rodriguez
-Jedd Fisch
RichRod would be fun there as well, good call.

Seattle Seahawks Football GIF by German Sea Hawkers

A couple of things maybe.

1. Is the hammer about to drop on him at UCLA for some reason.?
2. He's been thinking about this and didn't just 'pick up and leave' at a moments notice, so recruiting is in the shitter.

I guess they neither one has to be exclusive though.

2. He's been thinking about this and didn't just 'pick up and leave' at a moments notice, so recruiting is in the shitter.

assuming this is about Chip Kelly:

he was getting fired after this year and he knew it, so he bailed

assuming this is about Chip Kelly:

he was getting fired after this year and he knew it, so he bailed
Not sure if correct but I heard he was taking a $4M pay cut. Plus he would have gotten paid for the buyout if he stayed and got fired. So it is pretty obvious to me it wasn't about money. So it had to be "about" him in some form or fashion, ego, legacy, feeling UCLA can't/won't win, etc.

On the flip side, he will ONLY be making about $2M/year at tOSU. I just don't know how anyone can possibly survive on ONLY $2M/year.

He saved his job with the win over USC. He was going to be fired.

Like Saban he is sick of the NIL nonsense and just wants to be an offensive coach.