What Does UCLA do?

Are you new here?

There are no retractions of statements. On this board, a card laid is a card played.
Fine then, wtf is Fisch interviewing with UCLA for when he already has the Washington job??

Maybe there's something I don't know, but why is there so much talk about this guy? He had a great season last year, all credit due, but that's been his only successful year as a HC. He's had tons of stops in the NFL but none of them last more than a year or two. I wish him well at Washington but I just don't get the hype around him.
This seems to happen with a lot of hires.

Basically, the article points out that Chip Kelly left a buyout on the table to get out of dodge and probably feels that UCLA is going to struggle to compete in the B1G even with:

- Extremely nice campus
- Metropolitan city
- B1G money (full share not the 50% some lesser programs settled for)

Problems with the UCLA job:
- Housing super expensive for assistants
- Taxes are punitive for assistants in California
- LA has some current "political" problems
- LA market does not care about UCLA and USC seems to have cornered the CFB market there

This has to be one of the most challenging jobs in the Power 2 and now they have to find a coach during the worst time to be doing a search plus the players can enter the portal for the next 30 days and if they leave there won't be any that UCLA can grab until after Spring.

If I had to guess the best talent UCLA has will either get a substantial NIL bump (which will stretch funds) or they will leave and be almost impossible to replace. I'm not sure who is going to be brave enough to take this job.

All of those things you listed are issues for sure. Especially the part re: assistants. For UCLA assistants, having more affordable housing means 90 minute to 2 hour commutes one way, every day?

It's also a fairly cumbersome hiring process for coaches at UCLA. To get a guy hired, Kelly would have to try to get some idea as to what he can offer (but not guarantee) in salary, interview candidates, pick one, then get approval from the AD and President, then both the coach and salary have to be approved by a board of regents (or whatever they call themselves).

So even if they want to pay an assistant more and can get it approved...by the time they get through the process, those coaches have likely been hired by someone else.

Compare that to USC where it took Lincoln Riley about a week to put together what some are calling a virtual all star team of defensive coaches because he only needed the approval of the AD and President and a donor or 3 to cover the cost.

Add that UCLA is considered a basketball school and it can be tough to get and keep quality assistants.

UCLA never made sense. Maybe if he was still at Arizona. I'm sure some very preliminary phone calls were made by UCLA and Scheer tried
Are you new here?

There are no retractions of statements. On this board, a card laid is a card played.

And must be defended to the death.

Disappointing since @Across The Field has been here long enough to know better.