What was the difference?

Anyway, defense is a huge part of it. It was a great unit last year, but it was even better this year. Went from 16.1 PPG to 10.4, and YPP went from 4.7 to 4.3. The turnover margin also got even better this year (from +0.6 to +1.3), and most of our turnovers this year came in that Bowling Green game. Only three teams were able to hit 20 points on them all year (Maryland, OSU, and Bama). They held Washington to 13 points on 13 possessions. Michigan's opponents also averaged only around 13.3 first downs per game (Michigan's offense averaged around 19.9). Opposing QBs had an 8/18 TD/INT ratio against them and averaged a mere 5.7 yards per pass attempt. As good as last year's unit was, they did lay an egg against TCU.

Offense was still quite good, though not as explosive as last year's unit or even the 2021 unit. Michigan was tied for 24th in 20+ yard plays, but found themselves in a tie for 77th in 30+ yard plays. They had only four 50+ yard plays and nothing beyond 60 yards. If you go back to 2022, Michigan was tied for 17th in 20+ yard plays, tied for 18th in 30+ yards, and had the 5th most 50+ yard plays. They had the 2nd most 50+ yard plays in 2021. I think there's a few things that play a role in that. While the OL was good, I wouldn't say it was as good as the 2022 or 2021 units. I think Michigan has also had to go up against better defensive units this year, going up against the likes of PSU/Iowa/OSU/Nebraska/Bama (all in the top 10 in SP+ defense, and even Rutgers/Maryland had respectable defensive units this year) and teams seemed more keyed in on trying to stop Michigan's running game. So while this team wasn't able to churn out big plays like the previous two, they were still very efficient in moving the ball and converting fourth downs (were 17/22 on 4th down this year), and Michigan was 16th in TOP.

Last edited:
Nonsense. There's probably no other team in the country that could go to happy valley and couldnt throw a pass in the 2nd half of the football game.
FIFY

My guy -- we attempted 1 and it was a penalty on Penn State. JJ was 7/8 in the first half.

Michigan also tried to throw on that 4th and 1, but McCarthy kept it to convert

Barnhart was a revolving door against that PSU pass rush and he got hurt at some point in that game.

My guy -- we attempted 1 and it was a penalty on Penn State. JJ was 7/8 in the first half.
He was so good the 1st half they didnt want to try his luck the 2nd. Yes makes sense...

He was so good the 1st half they didnt want to try his luck the 2nd. Yes makes sense...
Michigan wanted to make a statement against cryin' James Franklin

Michigan wanted to make a statement against cryin' James Franklin
Did you talk to the coach before the 2nd half to get this inside info or more delusions?