What was the difference?

their top RB also tore his knee that game too right?

McGahee's knee blowout in the '02 game was as gruesome looking as Chubb's blowout this year in Pitt.

Ohio St hasn't won a NC in 9 years (2014).

Even then they weren't undefeated.
They lost by 14 points (21-35) in Columbus to a (7-6) Va Tech team.
Va Tech had 3 turnovers in that game, but still controlled the clock 33:19 to 26:05.
So everything I said was correct. Glad we agree.

Everything you originally said (which was that the Big 10 is not a rushing conference) was incorrect.

You keep changing your story tho.

If you want to win the Big 10 you have to run the ball effectively.
I never said you don't have to run the ball effectively. OSU has run the ball effectively with a number of great, if not elite, RBs. We also were top 5 in the nation in TD passes 2017, 2018, and 2019 and likely would have also in 2020 without the shortened year, and we won the conference all 4 years. Now does that sound like a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense to you?

I never said you don't have to run the ball effectively. OSU has run the ball effectively with a number of great, if not elite, RBs. We also were top 5 in the nation in TD passes 2017, 2018, and 2019 and likely would have also in 2020 without the shortened year, and we won the conference all 4 years. Now does that sound like a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense to you?
That "cloud of dust" is a passing play.

By the numbers, Michigan defense went from Great to Elite.

F+ = FEI ratings + SP+ ratings
Note that these are opponent adjusted and garbage time adjusted
F+OF+DF+
20214th (1.82)9th (1.37)9th (1.43)
20223rd (2.21)9th (1.66)4th (1.88)
20231st (2.51)6th (1.70)1st (2.47)
Yep -- that was the major difference between this year and the years prior. This defense didn't make many mistakes and forced teams to go on long drives to score. They held Washington to 1 play of 20 or more yards and it was on a blown coverage. The same Washington who had just thrown for 450 yards on Texas.

They mixed coverages, disguised defensive sets and brought pressure from all different spots. It seems like a simple philosophy, but getting all those players on the same page is extremely difficult, which is why all the guys returning on the defense this year was huge.

Yep -- that was the major difference between this year and the years prior. This defense didn't make many mistakes and forced teams to go on long drives to score. They held Washington to 1 play of 20 or more yards and it was on a blown coverage. The same Washington who had just thrown for 450 yards on Texas.

They mixed coverages, disguised defensive sets and brought pressure from all different spots. It seems like a simple philosophy, but getting all those players on the same page is extremely difficult, which is why all the guys returning on the defense this year was huge.
That's how Jim Leonhard built those Wisconsin defenses. Chaos and experience.

Oklahoma says hello with a 31-16 beatdown in Columbus.
Iowa says hello with a 55-24 beatdown. Iowa outrushed Ohio St 243 yds to 163 yds.

Purdue says hello with a 49-20 beatdown. Purdue outrushed Ohio St 161 yds to 76 yds.

Clemson eliminated Ohio St in the semi-final. LSU beat Clemson 42 - 25 for the natty.

I keep putting up actual stats and numbers. You keep throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

That's how Jim Leonhard built those Wisconsin defenses. Chaos and experience.
If you can have the same guys in a defensive system for more than a year -- you can add wrinkles to the defense to cause confusion to opposing offenses. The problem in college is -- you have so many guys coming and going, you rarely get the same group for more than a year. So you end up teaching the base defense to help them get a grasp on that.

Michigan returned almost everyone and the one guy they signed from the portal was a 4 year starter at a D1 program, so he already had a vast amount of experience.

Looked like the Defense to me.

Maybe Michigan just didn't have any 'bad luck', which is absolutely required for an NC.

They really didn't.

I guess they were probably over due for a series of only positive breaks. They were in a "bad luck" type rut for quite awhile.

Iowa says hello with a 55-24 beatdown. Iowa outrushed Ohio St 243 yds to 163 yds.

Purdue says hello with a 49-20 beatdown. Purdue outrushed Ohio St 161 yds to 76 yds.

Clemson eliminated Ohio St in the semi-final. LSU beat Clemson 42 - 25 for the natty.

I keep putting up actual stats and numbers. You keep throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.
LOL you're cherry-picking games that have nothing to do with the original point. You said the Big Ten is "3 yards and a cloud of dust" and I pointed out OSU won 4 straight titles very recently running an entirely different style of offense. Then you start bringing up games outside of the conference as if they matter, and now you bring up two in-conference games in seasons we won the conference as if they prove your point LOL

This might be the derpiest shit ive seen today

Back