Who here owns a smoker?

it helps build up the “patina” inside your smoker, might only be applicable to horizontally-oriented smokers? I use water alone to clean out the smoker after use. Let it completely dry before applying any coatings. I use Canola as it has a higher burn point than most other oils/lard. I coat the entirety of the inside of the smoker, and will apply to the exterior before long storage times.
After the cooking is done, we open the exhaust vent and increase the temp as much as the fuel will allow and steam it much like you said. I do use Crisco before long storage periods but that is because it remains a solid throughout the winter weather so I suspect a better moisture/air barrier. That may not help much at all, if any, compared to oils/sprays but it is cost effective to apply.

Holy smoke...rs @fordman84

I see what you mean about the spring price of brisket. I bought the 13 pound one for $2.68 per pound. Today, I stopped in to get another one and they went up to $5.68. That cut of meat ain't worth that. So I grabbed a bone in pork shoulder for $2.25 for this weekends project.

I will be paying more attention to brisket prices moving ahead.

Holy smoke...rs @fordman84

I see what you mean about the spring price of brisket. I bought the 13 pound one for $2.68 per pound. Today, I stopped in to get another one and they went up to $5.68. That cut of meat ain't worth that. So I grabbed a bone in pork shoulder for $2.25 for this weekends project.

I will be paying more attention to brisket prices moving ahead.
Yeah the price is crazy. Gotta watch for when someone puts them on sale or else you are going to pay Prime price for Select grade beef.

The pork shoulder went on at 8am. I rubbed it with salt, pepper and garlic. The plan is to leave it be for 4 hours and see if it's ready for wrapping and another four hours. I got the peach butcher block paper. So I'm giving that a try today.

Early prelims for UFC tonight begin at 6pm. We should be loading up our plates at about that time.

The pork shoulder went on at 8am. I rubbed it with salt, pepper and garlic. The plan is to leave it be for 4 hours and see if it's ready for wrapping and another four hours. I got the peach butcher block paper. So I'm giving that a try today.

Early prelims for UFC tonight begin at 6pm. We should be loading up our plates at about that time.
Bold move going on at 8. I always put mine on before bed.

Bold move going on at 8. I always put mine on before bed.

This is my second cook with a smoker so I would not call the move bold. :heh: But pretty much everything online has this at an 8 hour cook and 2 hour rest. Where the brisket everyone was saying do that one over night.

I'm a learnin' so I'll let you know how it turns out.

This is my second cook with a smoker so I would not call the move bold. :heh: But pretty much everything online has this at an 8 hour cook and 2 hour rest. Where the brisket everyone was saying do that one over night.

For me, pork shoulder goes longer than brisket, but my whole overnight time is set to 150.

Good luck!!!!

For me, pork shoulder goes longer than brisket, but my whole overnight time is set to 150.

At 150 ... slow and smart. An old saying is meat likes to be cooked at the temp it's done. 150 is low, but for overnight, I bet it comes out awesome.

Pork is technically done around 145-150, but for pulled pork, you want 195-205 so everything breaks down to melt in your mouth tenderness. The 145-150 is great for chops, but a shoulder can be too chewy for sandwiches.

I typically put mine on overnight at 225 for 1.5-2 hours per pound. Should be done by early afternoon the next day for a dinner. Wrapping once it gets to 160 will help get passed the hours of stall, especially if you start in the morning of the planned eating, so would cooking at 250-275, but I personally wouldn't go over 250 as a personal preference.

Practice definitely helps, but default to the longer cook at slower temps to reach at least 200 for some great pulled pork.

How did it go???? Don't leave a fat redneck waiting for pulled pork news ...

Ha....sorry about that. I have a pix on my phone I'll post in a few. I didn't get pulled pork though. It needed another 4 hours at least. @SU Nittany Tide was right. What I ended up with was a very nicely done piece of meat that you would normally get out of the oven. It was cooked the whole way through, but it needed more time to break down. Very good flavor too. I like the combination I'm using with the wood.

So we thin sliced it ... still making sammies and the party continued until after Gastelum got his face punched in by Whittaker. :dhd:

Pork is technically done around 145-150, but for pulled pork, you want 195-205 so everything breaks down to melt in your mouth tenderness. The 145-150 is great for chops, but a shoulder can be too chewy for sandwiches.

I typically put mine on overnight at 225 for 1.5-2 hours per pound. Should be done by early afternoon the next day for a dinner. Wrapping once it gets to 160 will help get passed the hours of stall, especially if you start in the morning of the planned eating, so would cooking at 250-275, but I personally wouldn't go over 250 as a personal preference.

Practice definitely helps, but default to the longer cook at slower temps to reach at least 200 for some great pulled pork.
203 seems to be money but it is about that butter like texture. I do 150 overnight then 225 the rest of the time. I wrap with foil about halfway through the 225 stint. For whatever reason foil seems to work best with pork and butcher paper works best with beef (short ribs or brisket).

203 seems to be money but it is about that butter like texture. I do 150 overnight then 225 the rest of the time. I wrap with foil about halfway through the 225 stint. For whatever reason foil seems to work best with pork and butcher paper works best with beef (short ribs or brisket).

I typically pull mine out around that temp as well and let rest. Haven't done much beef, but looking to do a couple briskets this summer. My first attempt last year went well, but it was a smaller piece without much fat. Wife loves brisket, so I've got to work on it for her.

Got a trimmed St. Luis rack in the smoker now. A few hours at 250 with apple wood chips and just wrapped it for the Texas crutch with butter, brown sugar, and some honey. I'll give it anther hour and a half before unwrapping and adding a little sauce for the last 15 minutes.

Ate the trimmings I had in there when I wrapped as an appetizer and they were pretty good. Been drinking bourbon and beer in the meantime, so this rack will likely be good no matter what.

20210418_144151.jpg20210418_144443.jpg

Got a trimmed St. Luis rack in the smoker now. A few hours at 250 with apple wood chips and just wrapped it for the Texas crutch with butter, brown sugar, and some honey. I'll give it anther hour and a half before unwrapping and adding a little sauce for the last 15 minutes.

Ate the trimmings I had in there when I wrapped as an appetizer and they were pretty good. Been drinking bourbon and beer in the meantime, so this rack will likely be good no matter what.

View attachment 27508View attachment 27509

Ah man.....

:hail:

I stopped here to explain why I'm going to be lazy this weekend and cobrabit was just like....I don't know..that's some special eatin'. Still... too much is on the line so I'm doing sushi and want to do a smoked salmon so I have something that doesn't take 24 hours to prep.

Any no miss smoked fish out there?

UFC 261 is going to be a busy night at dowgs house.

I stopped here to explain why I'm going to be lazy this weekend and cobrabit was just like....I don't know..that's some special eatin'. Still... too much is on the line so I'm doing sushi and want to do a smoked salmon so I have something that doesn't take 24 hours to prep.

Any no miss smoked fish out there?

UFC 261 is going to be a busy night at dowgs house.

I'm not really a fish guy, but I would give it a try for someone else who liked it though. Maybe a quick brine with salt and some brown sugar. Set the salmon on a wooden plank with some lemon slices on top and go pretty light with the smoke (alder or similar wood) at low temps (probably between 180-200) for about an hour or so.

have you ever tried with pork bumping it up 275 and speeding it up? Especially during the wrapped portion.

Partly because my cooker likes to settle in at 275 and partly because I like shorter time I usually smoke @ 275 regardless, I'll even go over 300 for later part of cook