Who here owns a smoker?

I always wondered why you guys who want to start and forget, don't just find a good BBQ place and buy it already done.
Kind of a lot of money for something you don't really want to do.
Do you honestly think you do nothing the entire time? Also I've never found a bbq place that tastes as good. And you don't think they mark up their stuff for a profit?

There is plenty advantage to making things at home the way you like it. Seems like a weird confusion on your part.

There's very few barbecue places, particularly near me, that can produce as high a quality product as I can. It's not an idle boast, the stuff that restaurants churn out is typically overcooked, poorly flavored and slathered in sugar sauce to make up for poor taste. My wife's pulled pork is competition quality, the ribs I make are pretty good and the brisket and bacon recipes are coming along nicely.

Then of course, there's the cost factor and satisfaction of doing it myself. My BGEs are several years old and still function great. Lump charcoal and wood chips are so cheap as to be virtually free. Throw in a few bucks for things like mustard powder, paprika, coriander and molasses for rubs and marinades. When you factor in that the raw meat of non-chicken types is about 1/2 the cost of a finished restaurant product, it's a fairly substantial net savings.

Do you honestly think you do nothing the entire time? Also I've never found a bbq place that tastes as good. And you don't think they mark up their stuff for a profit?

There is plenty advantage to making things at home the way you like it. Seems like a weird confusion on your part.

A little grumpy aren't you guys.

A little grumpy aren't you guys.
What? Outside of a handful of places in Texas and one or two in North Carolina, restaurants just aren't good at flavor or texture. After a few failed experiments, I'm producing good quality stuff myself.

Perhaps if I was mega-drunk, Famous Dave's or Calhoun's might be acceptable.

No need to be pig headed or go hog wild.

Thats Good Robert Deniro GIF

What? Outside of a handful of places in Texas and one or two in North Carolina, restaurants just aren't good at flavor or texture. After a few failed experiments, I'm producing good quality stuff myself.

Perhaps if I was mega-drunk, Famous Dave's or Calhoun's might be acceptable.

If you have a Mission BBQ nearby, try it out. You won't be disappointed.

Really no rhyme or reason as to when it kicks off. Sometimes, I will go through an entire cooking cycle and it works just fine. Other times, I fire it up and after the initial smoke time, usually 5-10 minutes, it kicks off a few minutes after I set the temp higher.

I am pretty diligent on vacuuming up the ashes, usually after 3-4 times of use, so have no clue as to why it mysteriously shuts off.

Fuckin sorcery

but the auger is still feeding pellets? they just aren't lighting? or the whole damn thing shuts down?

There's very few barbecue places, particularly near me, that can produce as high a quality product as I can. It's not an idle boast, the stuff that restaurants churn out is typically overcooked, poorly flavored and slathered in sugar sauce to make up for poor taste. My wife's pulled pork is competition quality, the ribs I make are pretty good and the brisket and bacon recipes are coming along nicely.

Then of course, there's the cost factor and satisfaction of doing it myself. My BGEs are several years old and still function great. Lump charcoal and wood chips are so cheap as to be virtually free. Throw in a few bucks for things like mustard powder, paprika, coriander and molasses for rubs and marinades. When you factor in that the raw meat of non-chicken types is about 1/2 the cost of a finished restaurant product, it's a fairly substantial net savings.
my brisket kicks the shit out of anything I can buy at places near me. Some of it is timing of consumption, I'm sure. I'm getting stuff that was cut hours ago at some of the places and mine is right out of the cooler after resting. But yeah, some of it is satisfaction factor of doing it myself. Cost isn't a factor since I know mine costs more than anything I'd spend at a BBQ restaurant... because I'm not buying 15lbs of brisket at the BBQ restaurant. Sure, per pound I'm sure I'm spending less, but overall the cost of doing it myself is more. But it's a hobby, they cost money.

It kicks off and I get an error message on the LED readout.
if you've already replaced the hot rod, the only other thing I can think is the temperature sensor. Maybe it's reading too hot or cold and shutting off to prevent a fire.

If you have to plug your "smoker" into an electrical outlet....you don't have a smoker, you have an easy bake oven...make some cupcakes with it.

If you want to taste what smoked meat is supposed to taste like you need a real smoker...one that uses split wood.

if you've already replaced the hot rod, the only other thing I can think is the temperature sensor. Maybe it's reading too hot or cold and shutting off to prevent a fire.

hmmmmm, I'll look into that.

Thanks brother.

Somebody on YouTube probably has had the same problem and wants to show you how to fix it.

Been there, done that. A shit ton of videos explaining how to adjust the P setting but my model is a newer one that does not offer the manual setting.

What a PITA

I always wondered why you guys who want to start and forget, don't just find a good BBQ place and buy it already done.
Kind of a lot of money for something you don't really want to do.
There are a couple of legit BBQ places near me where I can get some good stuff, but that doesn't make my back yard smell like BBQ for 8-12 hours.

I actually need to start emptying out my chest freezer. I've got a few things in there I've been meaning to throw on the smoker. Have some turkey breasts, a couple of chickens, I think some ribs in there too. Might do something next weekend if it's not balls hot out.

Reactions: Me
There are a couple of legit BBQ places near me where I can get some good stuff, but that doesn't make my back yard smell like BBQ for 8-12 hours.

I actually need to start emptying out my chest freezer. I've got a few things in there I've been meaning to throw on the smoker. Have some turkey breasts, a couple of chickens, I think some ribs in there too. Might do something next weekend if it's not balls hot out.
Another thing is we split a whole beef with family and that comes with brisket, beef short ribs, and some other things that are only going to be great with a smoker. Local grass fed (corn fattened at the end) beef is the best.

Reactions: Me
Another thing is we split a whole beef with family and that comes with brisket, beef short ribs, and some other things that are only going to be great with a smoker. Local grass fed (corn fattened at the end) beef is the best.
I don't think we got short ribs, but we got a half in February/March time frame. Lotta beef to work through