Who here owns a smoker?

have you ever tried with pork bumping it up 275 and speeding it up? Especially during the wrapped portion.

Partly because my cooker likes to settle in at 275 and partly because I like shorter time I usually smoke @ 275 regardless, I'll even go over 300 for later part of cook
I have gone to 250 on a slow one and didn't notice any difference. I'm guessing 275 would be the same.

have you ever tried with pork bumping it up 275 and speeding it up? Especially during the wrapped portion.

If you are going to wrap it anyway...may as well crank the heat up. I try to keep it between 275 and 300 on my big offset smoker and between 250 and 275 on my Weber smoker.

After I wrap it...it can go up 10 to15 degrees and it will still be fine.

I'm wondering why you wouldn't go higher and faster than, but to each their own
The way I time it, it is ready several hours before supper. No reason to rush. Giving it the overnight 150 smoke is a big part of my cook.

The way I time it, it is ready several hours before supper. No reason to rush. Giving it the overnight 150 smoke is a big part of my cook.
fair enough, just curious

DAIMON_HANDPIPE_SILICONE_WATER_PIPE_-_WAXMAIDSTORE_-_WAXMAID_10_2048x2048-1.jpg

I think we need some summer smoker stories.

And, who has the biggest smoker?

My smoker is pissing me off. Bought the top of the line Traeger 4 years ago and was as happy as a clam with it. Lately though, the fuckin thing kicks off for no apparent reason so I can no longer "set it and forget it". This still happens after replacing the hot rod and wiring assembly and Traeger customer service can not offer a resolution. Been wanting to do another brisket but no way I am going to be able to stand guard for 16 hours to make sure it stays on.

If I had to do it over again, which I am seriously considering doing, I would buy a combo smoker/charcoal grille.

I can't stand that!

People walking around like cave people gnawing on huge pieces of meat. It's gross.
I went to a zoo this spring and realized all food at those kinds of places disgust me. Usually it's a bunch of fat fucks walking around shoving that shit into their fat faces. It is gross.

My smoker is pissing me off. Bought the top of the line Traeger 4 years ago and was as happy as a clam with it. Lately though, the fuckin thing kicks off for no apparent reason so I can no longer "set it and forget it". This still happens after replacing the hot rod and wiring assembly and Traeger customer service can not offer a resolution. Been wanting to do another brisket but no way I am going to be able to stand guard for 16 hours to make sure it stays on.

If I had to do it over again, which I am seriously considering doing, I would buy a combo smoker/charcoal grille.
Out of curiosity, what model? Reason I am asking is that there are several of us here with electrical experience and finding schematics should be easy ...

Out of curiosity, what model? Reason I am asking is that there are several of us here with electrical experience and finding schematics should be easy ...
Select Pro model as seen below without the wifi feature

1623784693995.png

Please give some details about when it kicks off and/or other symptoms.
EDIT: Also, anything ruled out or in?

Really no rhyme or reason as to when it kicks off. Sometimes, I will go through an entire cooking cycle and it works just fine. Other times, I fire it up and after the initial smoke time, usually 5-10 minutes, it kicks off a few minutes after I set the temp higher.

I am pretty diligent on vacuuming up the ashes, usually after 3-4 times of use, so have no clue as to why it mysteriously shuts off.

Fuckin sorcery

I always wondered why you guys who want to start and forget, don't just find a good BBQ place and buy it already done.
Kind of a lot of money for something you don't really want to do.

I always wondered why you guys who want to start and forget, don't just find a good BBQ place and buy it already done.
Kind of a lot of money for something you don't really want to do.
There's very few barbecue places, particularly near me, that can produce as high a quality product as I can. It's not an idle boast, the stuff that restaurants churn out is typically overcooked, poorly flavored and slathered in sugar sauce to make up for poor taste. My wife's pulled pork is competition quality, the ribs I make are pretty good and the brisket and bacon recipes are coming along nicely.

Then of course, there's the cost factor and satisfaction of doing it myself. My BGEs are several years old and still function great. Lump charcoal and wood chips are so cheap as to be virtually free. Throw in a few bucks for things like mustard powder, paprika, coriander and molasses for rubs and marinades. When you factor in that the raw meat of non-chicken types is about 1/2 the cost of a finished restaurant product, it's a fairly substantial net savings.