Who here owns a smoker?

A decent meat thermometer that you can put in the biggest muscle and plug into the digital readout is what I go by. Many come with an "alarm" that you can set to a desired temp. Place it prior to cooking and go by temps for doneness, not expected time or "look/feel", unless you're an expert.

Depending on the product, BBQ may look "dried out", but is likely the crust/bark, while the interior is still juicy or not at temp. The biggest thing to remember for impatient cookers is that while beef/pork may be considered "done" at a particular temp, BBQ needs temps higher to break down the connective tissue to make a "tough" meat "melt in your mouth" . Dryness on the outside may just be the bark forming.
Thanks for the tip. I do have a DigiQ for my BGEs that can monitor and change temperature of the chamber pretty effectively. But it’s still reliant upon me getting the probe into the meat. It just gets into my head that it’s going to burn, so I err on the side of caution. I’d rather finish in the oven with a decent product than gamble and lose it all, is my thinking. Maybe I just need to trust it more and check manually with a handheld thermometer?

I would try to get cuts with a lot more fat in them.
A little lower and slower, just might take care of the drying out.

Never cut your fat the off. We always cooked our brisket with the fat side up, and it just marinaded itself all night.
But you are always going to have some dry parts. If you chop your Brisket, you can add that back into the moist meat and still use it up and be perfectly fine.
I only ever trim ribs- membrane and a small amount of fat, depending on quality.

You’re right about brisket- the last one I made was fat side up all night and it turned out great.

page forum GIF

@Fog did you ever get a big enough slicer?

Ima smoke some ribs and chicken on a gas grill tomorrow, so all you fucks can suck a dick. lulz

based on previous experiences with beef ribs, I'd have to agree, but still worth throwing on the smoker for a few hours to see how I do with them.
There are two major types of beef ribs, short ribs and back ribs.

I'm one of few that like back ribs. Butchers cut back ribs to bone since that's where prime rib comes from, but meat left between bones is delicious and worth effort.

Short ribs are brisket on stick and way to not have smoke large brisket since fresh bbq better than leftover

1624240986555.png

based on previous experiences with beef ribs, I'd have to agree, but still worth throwing on the smoker for a few hours to see how I do with them.
There's a big difference between beef short ribs and beef back ribs. If you had beef short ribs and didn't like them then something wasn't done right. Some people consider them the ultimate bbq item.

This is the part that's stung me. There's plenty of meat, but the meat-to-bone ratio is so high, that even with a water pan and low and slow, the meat looks like it's so dried out that I remove it early. Then, I inevitably check the interior and it's underdone. So I screw it up by putting it in the oven, all the while thinking that it must've had something to do with my prep.
Spraying is key for me. I don't do a water pan. 50/50 water and apple cider vinegar. Let the bark get well established then start spraying every 30-45 minutes or so and the bark won't dry out. The inside wouldn't ever dry out with all that intramuscular fat.

Do you prefer brisket or ribs.?

I just don't like beef ribs of any kind.
Not that they taste bad, but they are so far down the list, I always get something I like better.
I guess if it's the only thing on the menu, then sure, I'd order it.

Back