Who here owns a smoker?

Spraying is key for me. I don't do a water pan. 50/50 water and apple cider vinegar. Let the bark get well established then start spraying every 30-45 minutes or so and the bark won't dry out. The inside wouldn't ever dry out with all that intramuscular fat.
This makes some sense. I apply a honey mop to my pork ribs 2-3 times in the latter half of smoking, but never thought to do something similar with the short ribs (because- not pork, so no honey).
I just don't like beef ribs of any kind.
Not that they taste bad, but they are so far down the list, I always get something I like better.
I guess if it's the only thing on the menu, then sure, I'd order it.
How about one of those Fred Flintstone-style tomahawk ribs? C’mon, you’d order that.

This makes some sense. I apply a honey mop to my pork ribs 2-3 times in the latter half of smoking, but never thought to do something similar with the short ribs (because- not pork, so no honey).

How about one of those Fred Flintstone-style tomahawk ribs? C’mon, you’d order that.
Yep. And I'd highly recommend avoiding any sugar on the beef ribs.

I just don't like beef ribs of any kind.
Not that they taste bad, but they are so far down the list, I always get something I like better.
I guess if it's the only thing on the menu, then sure, I'd order it.
I don't understand how one can like brisket but not short ribs

There's a big difference between beef short ribs and beef back ribs. If you had beef short ribs and didn't like them then something wasn't done right. Some people consider them the ultimate bbq item.

Whatever it was, it was tough, flavorless and there was little of it. I reserve judgement until I make my own back and short ribs. No reason to let a shitty cook ruin a food for me.

Did a couple tomahawk steaks yesterday for Father's day.

Not sure they're worth the extra coin over the standard ribeye, but whatever...

Whatever it was, it was tough, flavorless and there was little of it. I reserve judgement until I make my own back and short ribs. No reason to let a shitty cook ruin a food for me.
Little meat is likely beef back ribs. They should still taste good but the butcher tries to get as much of that high end meat off as possible.

Back ribs I can understand, there isn't much meat.I like them but can understand.

Short ribs,if you like brisket but don't like short ribs, you've either never had short ribs prepared correctly or just stubborn

Did a couple tomahawk steaks yesterday for Father's day.

Not sure they're worth the extra coin over the standard ribeye, but whatever...
The presentation is worth it

So, is it the consensus that the electric pellet type smoker will give you just as much smoke flavor that an offset will. ??

I thought you could crank the electric ones up and push the wood pellets really hard.
That ought to give you the same amount of smoke as an offset.

So, is it the consensus that the electric pellet type smoker will give you just as much smoke flavor that an offset will. ??
Almost. Still good, but it makes up for it, if it's the kind that have a digital temp controller.

I thought you could crank the electric ones up and push the wood pellets really hard.
That ought to give you the same amount of smoke as an offset.
Doing the opposite helps give you more smoke. I put a pork butt at 150 overnight (before cooking it the rest of the way at 225) as the lower the temp, the more smoke you get. When you crank it up you get less smoke and obviously shorter cooking times.

Doing the opposite helps give you more smoke. I put a pork butt at 150 overnight (before cooking it the rest of the way at 225) as the lower the temp, the more smoke you get. When you crank it up you get less smoke and obviously shorter cooking times.

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

Beef short ribs

Attachments

• PXL_20210626_222249427~2.jpg
    PXL_20210626_222249427~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
It'll be lighter.

I personally wouldn't get a pellet pooper, but I don't fault anyone that does.

Back