Who here owns a smoker?

I've only done that kind once. They were alright.
I'm in minority that likes them.

It's left over steak meat, basically. Butchers trim as close to bone as possible so they are skimpy on meet, but I think they have good flavor.

I do prefer the short ribs

I'm in minority that likes them.

It's left over steak meat, basically. Butchers trim as close to bone as possible so they are skimpy on meet, but I think they have good flavor.

I do prefer the short ribs
I wouldn't throw them away by any means.

Can't wait to make another brisket in a few weeks. Lately it's been a few "beer can" chickens and baby back ribs.
I used to do beer can. I'll still vertical roast, but drink the beer

I used to do beer can. I'll still vertical roast, but drink the beer

yeah, I got a ceramic vertical roaster that I fill with beer and other stuff. Not sticking a can inside.

There's no shortage of beer here to use in the chicken and drink.

So who's planning on smoking something over the holidays ????

So who's planning on smoking something over the holidays ????
I always smoke some turkey for thanksgiving. The wife does oven roasted full bird and homemade gravy, while I smoke either some netted or breast bone in. Typically cajun seasoning and medium light wood smoke. Take the leftovers to the meat slicer thin for f'n outstanding sandwiches.

Tri Tip

272070781_10226506238871816_9129344215948551299_n.jpg

Kinder's Prime Rib Rub

View attachment 57194

Going to vacuum pack them and use them for chili meat, philly cheese, sliders, sandwiches.
I think I bought some of that once, though I can't remember if it was any good.

Chili sounds like a good idea...

Spring is getting here. Price Chopper put the corn beef briskets on sale for $2.49 a pound so I picked up the limit allowed of two.

This is the sign we should see fresh briskets go on sale soon. :pray:

Spring is getting here. Price Chopper put the corn beef briskets on sale for $2.49 a pound so I picked up the limit allowed of two.

This is the sign we should see fresh briskets go on sale soon. :pray:
I just smoked a brisket bought from Costco. The price was nowhere near that good. I've gotten some cheap corned beef to debrine for pastrami in the past though.

I just smoked a brisket bought from Costco. The price was nowhere near that good. I've gotten some cheap corned beef to debrine for pastrami in the past though.

I meant to post that I went by Sams to check on prices and the brisket was over $7.00 per pound. A hard pass for me. I checked last april's post in this thread and I got the brisket on sale for $3.69 a pound. I'm hoping they drop down again this spring.

I've gotten some cheap corned beef to debrine for pastrami in the past though.

Useful. I did not know this was a thing.

I meant to post that I went by Sams to check on prices and the brisket was over $7.00 per pound. A hard pass for me. I checked last april's post in this thread and I got the brisket on sale for $3.69 a pound. I'm hoping they drop down again this spring.
I hope so. Didn't know it was seasonal though. The wife likes brisket, though I don't think what we're making is that great yet. I'd say it's 5/10, whereas our spareribs are 8/10 and pulled pork is damn near competition quality.

Useful. I did not know this was a thing.
Yeah, it works. The only thing is that you get a pile of lunchmeat out of it, whereas you can pretty much eat brisket for any meal / occasion. Just remember to let it rest and then finish in the oven for 1-2 hours wrapped in foil; early attempts had way too much drying.

I hope so. Didn't know it was seasonal though.

Over the next 30 - 45 days we should see a quick drop for spring cook outs. This is me waiting...

Happy Scooby Doo GIF by Boomerang Official

Back