Who here owns a smoker?

animation domination fox GIF by gifnews

I guess I have to use moar wood.

What kind of wood/charcoal do you use to get your smoke flavor

What kind of wood/charcoal do you use to get your smoke flavor
I usually use a competition blend, but have mesquite and some fruit woods as well. I'll usually use the fruit woods for poultry and occasionally use the mesquite for brisket or pulled pork.

I usually use a competition blend, but have mesquite and some fruit woods as well. I'll usually use the fruit woods for poultry and occasionally use the mesquite for brisket or pulled pork.
Is this just a term or is it your own blend.
And is it top secret ???

I don't own a smoker but I do have a hand-me-down Primo XL (green egg/komoto jow. Got it from my old man. He said he couldn't get a fire going in it & wanted it off of his patio.

He just didn't know how the thing worked. I smoke chicken, pork & I did a London Broil a few months ago. It will hold low temps 200-275 easily. I picked up a few ceramic heat deflector plates which help with the non-direct heat. I used a hardwood blend lump charcoal& I too throw in some smoking wood like apple or cherry, pecan & mesquite... Just depends on the meat & what we are looking to eat. I also did a Meat Church smoked gouda queso a few time on it. Good stuff right there.

This 4th of July I did 4 racks of St. Louis cut pork ribs on a rack... about 5 hours total cook time at 250 degrees... I have room under the grates to place a pan with apple cider vinegar to help keeping things moist. 5 hour cook & I still have a bunch of charcoal in there that will be good for the next cook.

Every time I go by Lowe's I look at an upright smoker, just can't pull the trigger when this thing smokes so well.

mine looks just like this with the stainless

1657056613525.png

Here a good shot of the heat deflectors

1657056891130.png

I don't own a smoker but I do have a hand-me-down Primo XL (green egg/komoto jow. Got it from my old man. He said he couldn't get a fire going in it & wanted it off of his patio.

He just didn't know how the thing worked. I smoke chicken, pork & I did a London Broil a few months ago. It will hold low temps 200-275 easily. I picked up a few ceramic heat deflector plates which help with the non-direct heat. I used a hardwood blend lump charcoal& I too throw in some smoking wood like apple or cherry, pecan & mesquite... Just depends on the meat & what we are looking to eat. I also did a Meat Church smoked gouda queso a few time on it. Good stuff right there.

This 4th of July I did 4 racks of St. Louis cut pork ribs on a rack... about 5 hours total cook time at 250 degrees... I have room under the grates to place a pan with apple cider vinegar to help keeping things moist. 5 hour cook & I still have a bunch of charcoal in there that will be good for the next cook.

Every time I go by Lowe's I look at an upright smoker, just can't pull the trigger when this thing smokes so well.

mine looks just like this with the stainless

View attachment 77169

Here a good shot of the heat deflectors

View attachment 77170
I bought myself a drum smoker because I got pissed off at my cheapo Char Griller. Dumb thing was such a pain to keep going at a steady temperature.

Beautiful thing about the drum smoker cooking at 300 or so is that I can smoke on a weeknight near the end of my work day. I've done chicken thighs, drumsticks, and pork chops during the week, and it's amazing. Did a full pork shoulder in about 5 hours at a friend's house. Could actually throw the thing in the back seat of my car and bring it to my friends' house.