Poll Worst HC to win a natty from start of the BCS era through now

Worst natty winning HC?

• Total voters
Chizik by a mile. has a .500 record as a HC and only finished above .500 in conference play once. not related to this topic, but his defenses at UNC have sucked.

Coker ran Miami into the ground, sure, but it took him six years to do that. Miami went 9-3 in his fifth year. Chizik went 3-9 in year #4 at Auburn.

Cam Newton was 100% responsible for that national title. Without Cam that team woulda been more like a 6-6 team than a national title team.

Chizik. Cam Newton and Malzahn won that championship.

I always thought Stoops was overrated. He won a natty in year two, but that was with John Blake's players.
He was good at winning the Big 12, but he wasn't 'Big Game Bob' like the media portrayed him to be.
Well he did play for a Natty 3 more times after he won it. Got blown out by USC but lost a close one to LSU in New Orleans and lost another close one to Florida and Tebow in Florida. Not to mention he has more Big 12 titles than the rest of the league combined.

I always thought Stoops was overrated. He won a natty in year two, but that was with John Blake's players.
He was good at winning the Big 12, but he wasn't 'Big Game Bob' like the media portrayed him to be.
He was an awesome "Big Game Bob".

He totally sucked as "Multiple National Championships Bob".

He did win with some of Blake's players, but a lot of the important ones were guys Stoops brought in.

Why isn't Mack Brown listed? Did you forget Texas won a title?

Well he did play for a Natty 3 more times after he won it. Got blown out by USC but lost a close one to LSU in New Orleans and lost another close one to Florida and Tebow in Florida. Not to mention he has more Big 12 titles than the rest of the league combined.

I mentioned the Big 12 titles, see?

"He was good at winning the Big 12, but he wasn't 'Big Game Bob' like the media portrayed him to be."

ESPN pimped him wayyy too much. He was a great D.C. at K. State and Florida before he got the HC job.

However, Stoops was no Switzer.

I mentioned the Big 12 titles, see?

"He was good at winning the Big 12, but he wasn't 'Big Game Bob' like the media portrayed him to be."

ESPN pimped him wayyy too much. He was a great D.C. at K. State and Florida before he got the HC job.

However, Stoops was no Switzer.
I mean he was 3-0 vs Florida State, 3-0 vs Alabama, 2-0 vs Tennessee, 2-0 vs UCLA, 2-0 vs Washington, 3-1 vs Oregon, 2-0 vs Miami, 1-0 vs Notre Dame. Not to mention owning Nebraska, Texas, and Texas A&M in conference. I don't really know what more you expected from the guy.

Has to be Kirby. With all that homegrown talent in Georgia it took him 6 years to win a natty. I seem to remember one of our resident posters calling for him to be fired for a couple years.
I would have agreed before last season, he’s easily the worst HC ever to have two natties though.

But there is no excuse to not have 3 by now

Pretty sure it’s Chizik. He was obviously just along for the ride in Aubie’s 2010 season.

I picked Bobby Stoops cuz he’s the closest to Nebraska
I just assumed that vote was from @Thiefery
Oh No Reaction GIF by Audible

big game bob turned into big sad bob.. he also chased away your new savior BV.. sure he dominated the big12 conference.. but people all remember him for all the loses he had in the BCS championship era.

and no one ever talks about the 2000 ou squad.. well outside trailers in the Norman suburbs.

2000 ou squad crickets outside Heupel who everyone knows cause he coaches at TN now
2001 Miami.. always talked about as being one of the best teams ever
2002 tosu? Remembered for the PI in the ez and the alcoholic RB Clarrett who was running away from Suge Knight
2003 LSU.. u lost to a QB who had a 2-1 TD/INT ratio..big game bob outcoached by Saban.. no shame in that
2004 SC.. Lmaoo big game bob strikes back... except Carroll and co didn't have a QB with a 2-1 TD/INT ratio
2005 UT Best team ever who finished SC's run
2006 FL first of Tebow 2 rings and the birth of SEC speed over Rust belt speed
2007 LSU Mad Hatter wins again because of SEC speed over Rust belt speed
2008 FL Beat Big Sad Bob with his "scary offense".. Tebow wins 2nd ring and SEC SEC SEC begins
2009 Bama luckily survives the first game action UT QB Gilbert who replaced Colt... ended Macks real run.. UT returned the favor by ending Saban in 2023.

Bob never got close again to a title game.. Was he the worst coach? no.. but he was never a serious contender with his own players.. hell the next closest year for ou to make a championship game was under Riley, who took over Bob's players and lost in OT to UGA

big game bob turned into big sad bob.. he also chased away your new savior BV.. sure he dominated the big12 conference.. but people all remember him for all the loses he had in the BCS championship era.

and no one ever talks about the 2000 ou squad.. well outside trailers in the Norman suburbs.

2000 ou squad crickets outside Heupel who everyone knows cause he coaches at TN now
2001 Miami.. always talked about as being one of the best teams ever
2002 tosu? Remembered for the PI in the ez and the alcoholic RB Clarrett who was running away from Suge Knight
2003 LSU.. u lost to a QB who had a 2-1 TD/INT ratio..big game bob outcoached by Saban.. no shame in that
2004 SC.. Lmaoo big game bob strikes back... except Carroll and co didn't have a QB with a 2-1 TD/INT ratio
2005 UT Best team ever who finished SC's run
2006 FL first of Tebow 2 rings and the birth of SEC speed over Rust belt speed
2007 LSU Mad Hatter wins again because of SEC speed over Rust belt speed
2008 FL Beat Big Sad Bob with his "scary offense".. Tebow wins 2nd ring and SEC SEC SEC begins
2009 Bama luckily survives the first game action UT QB Gilbert who replaced Colt... ended Macks real run.. UT returned the favor by ending Saban in 2023.

Bob never got close again to a title game.. Was he the worst coach? no.. but he was never a serious contender with his own players.. hell the next closest year for ou to make a championship game was under Riley, who took over Bob's players and lost in OT to UGA
What are you talking about? OU played Florida State, USC, LSU, and Florida for National Titles. Yes he went 1-3 but he played for 4 NC's.

And he was 1-4.. 😂 Big sad Bob.. Yet y'all keep praising him..