Worst head coach that you had to endure from your favorite team?

John Cooper. Which, looking at some of the names on this list, ain't so bad
You guys haven’t had a bad coach … Y’all had some that were fun to hate (Woody Hayes, SubUrban Meyer and Ryan Day).

I only have 2 options. I will say Ferentz as I really didn't endure Fry too much.
Fry was a GREAT Head Coach!
When he left North Texas State to go to Iowa, I was like WTF are you doing man?
What he did and how he did it was phenomenal.

Tyrone Willingham was an absolute fraud. Worst in my lifetime. Laziest recruiter ever.

Gerry Faust was way over his head but was by all accounts a genuinely good person.

Unique situation for me as I've went from WVU for many years now to UT but WVU would be Bill Stewart, lovable man no doubt and good assistant but HC? Not so much. WVU went from high flying offense, conference titles, BCS bowls and hopes of playing for national titles to losing big to ECU and images like this, sputtering on offense against inferior Colorado teams in critical situations:
Stewber.png

:laugh:
RIP, God bless him and his family, good people but he had no business being a HC, he was a product of a cheap administration.

I've only had Pruitt and now Heupel for UT and that's easily JP... Though I DID keep up with UT enough in the past to put Butch Jones at the top of this list for the era.

Last edited:
Tyrone Willingham was an absolute fraud. Worst in my lifetime. Laziest recruiter ever.

Gerry Faust was way over his head but was by all accounts a genuinely good person.
What? No George O'Leary?

I am disappoint!

Frank Lauterbur. Had to endure 3 seasons with this bum. 4 wins in 3 years. He was just a blip in the midst of the nation's longest losing season streak.

You guys haven’t had a bad coach … Y’all had some that were fun to hate (Woody Hayes, SubUrban Meyer and Ryan Day).
Does Fickell's 6-7 season as interim HC count?

Also is that nickname for Urban making fun of him because he didn't live downtown?

I can only pick ONE?

Guess I'll go with Brad Scott

No because he is White … and as far as I know it’s only me. In sports, hate is a sign of respect and/or tradition.
At first I thought you meant that about Fickell and was a bit confused but also chuckled

It’s close between Dubose and Shula. I go Dubose. Shula was brought in at an inconvenient time and had to deal with Massive Sanctions

It’s close between Dubose and Shula. I go Dubose. Shula was brought in at an inconvenient time and had to deal with Massive Sanctions
Yeah, you really didn't have to suffer through Price, just the aftermath.

Gotta be Frost. At least Callahan recruited well, iirc he had a 9 win season too. Riley had a 9 win season. Osborne and Solich won or coached for national titles. Pelini won at least 9 games every year. Too new for Rhule.

Frost easy

Cally could have won there if he fired cosgrove. I’ll die on that hill