Worst MLB franchise

I remember when the Mariners won 116 games.
A lot of the fans thought they had great pitchers. I would hear how Freddy Garcia's was a 20 game winner.
I laughed & said they all have a bunch of wins with all those bats behind them.

Remember it being the year of "no lead was safe" & that meant for either team LOL Didnt matter how big of a lead the game was for either team.

I knew it was obvious their pitchers were the weak link. & we all know that wont get you to the WS.

Think I'll cast my vote for the Mariners as well.

A lot of the fans thought they had great pitchers. I would hear how Freddy Garcia's was a 20 game winner.

Remember it being the year of "no lead was safe" & that meant for either team LOL Didnt matter how big of a lead the game was for either team.

I knew it was obvious their pitchers were the weak link. & we all know that wont get you to the WS.

Think I'll cast my vote for the Mariners as well.

The Mariners as a team led MLB in ERA. I do think their defense played a big part in that though. What pitcher wouldn't want to have an outfield with Cameron *and* Ichiro? Their infield wasn't too shabby either with Olerud, Bell, Javier and Guillen. I'd hardly call the pitching a weakness, but I do think it was propped up by stellar defense. No real strikeout pitchers, but they didn't give up a lot of home runs (Safeco may have played a role in that) and control artists (save for Abbott). Rotation was alright in the ALCS, but the bullpen stunk and no one outside of Boone really did anything at the plate.

Because there's franchises with roughly as many WS titles as them and with worse records? Mariners, Rangers, Padres and Rockies.

Marlins still deserve some consideration. Yeah they have two titles, but they never won the NL East and they made the playoffs only one other time (16 team field in 2020). Only 7 seasons above .500.

I'd call the Angels the Oregon of baseball, but then I remembered they actually won a title. The Rays might be more apt.
Can't really put them in the conversation for worst though. They've never "sucked" and are consistently competitive. Since 2010, they have the 4th highest win %, and do it on less than 1/4 the budget of the Yankees and Dodgers.

Anyone said the White Sox yet?

Can't really put them in the conversation for worst though. They've never "sucked" and are consistently competitive. Since 2010, they have the 4th highest win %, and do it on less than 1/4 the budget of the Yankees and Dodgers.

I agree that payroll should be considered. I think what the Rays do on a fairly consistent basis is pretty damn impressive given their annual revenue and that they're in a division with the Yankees and Red Sox.

Conversely, I would say the Mets should be in the conversation of worst due to their relatively high payrolls and abject ineptitude.

Fuck you, @PeoplesChicken

Oh, I agree. One of the best MLB teams since '08. They've been a royal pain in the ass in the division, and I mean that as a compliment. If you guys were in any other division I'd probably root for you. Always seem to MacGyver their way into a top pitching staff and constantly develop good players. More successful version of the Moneyball A's.

Anyone said the White Sox yet?

It's weird to think they're over .500 all-time and they had never had consecutive postseason appearances until 2020-2021.

Oh, I agree. One of the best MLB teams since '08. They've been a royal pain in the ass in the division, and I mean that as a compliment. If you guys were in any other division I'd probably root for you. Always seem to MacGyver their way into a top pitching staff and constantly develop good players. More successful version of the Moneyball A's.
They have a great farm system, and seem to get the best out of players that others overlook or don't want. I remember seeing a guy from one of the other teams (ex GM or scout or something) and he laughingly said something like "if the Rays call, don't answer, they'll end up getting someone from you at a bargain then turn him into a superstar" lol. Prime example is Randy Arozarena.

Cool thing is, there are A LOT of transplants here in Tampa, lots of Red Sox and Yankees fans, never had any issues with them, they all seem to have the same attitude as you, they think they're a pain in the ass, but respect them for what they consistently do. Some good banter, but never anything nasty or vitriolic.

Mariners won 116 games in 2001. They gave up the fewest runs, had the best team ERA and ERA+ in the majors.

They have a great farm system, and seem to get the best out of players that others overlook or don't want. I remember seeing a guy from one of the other teams (ex GM or scout or something) and he laughingly said something like "if the Rays call, don't answer, they'll end up getting someone from you at a bargain then turn him into a superstar" lol. Prime example is Randy Arozarena.

Cool thing is, there are A LOT of transplants here in Tampa, lots of Red Sox and Yankees fans, never had any issues with them, they all seem to have the same attitude as you, they think they're a pain in the ass, but respect them for what they consistently do. Some good banter, but never anything nasty or vitriolic.

One thing I love about some of the recent Rays teams is that most of their position players have played multiple positions. Look at the 2021 team and you'll see just about everyone played multiple positions, a lot of them playing in the infield as well as the outfield.

Guardians should probably be included too. Longest active WS drought

The drought hurts, but they do have a .513% winning percentage all-time. If this was pre-95 I'd probably agree with including them, but they have been pretty competitive in the last three decades even if they have shit the bed in the playoffs.

You can suck a fart out of my asshole, hayseed.

They consistently compete on a shoestring budget.

Also, only faggots call them the Guardians.
Being a poverty franchise ain’t my problem.

Progressive Field, home of the Guardians. Get used to it

No one has mentioned the Detroit Tigers ... we should at least have some consideration.

I think the Braves are the franchise in MLB ... I love the way they pay their young guys. Look for the opposite of the Atlanta Braves.

You can suck a fart out of my asshole, hayseed.

They consistently compete on a shoestring budget.

Also, only faggots call them the Guardians.
He is a little crass, but he is not wrong.

No one has mentioned the Detroit Tigers ... we should at least have some consideration.

I think the Braves are the franchise in MLB ... I love the way they pay their young guys. Look for the opposite of the Atlanta Braves.

He is a little crass, but he is not wrong.
Tigers have made two WS this century and have a strong history.

If we were talking pre 1991, the Braves would have been in consideration

Actually from 2002-2006 the As W% was almost identical to that of the Rays over these last 5 (successful) seasons (Rays .5819, As .5815). If you want to use the playoff success as a tiebreaker that's fine but there's not really a huge difference in the on-field results.

The Cubs, hands down. Even when they finally won a WS, they were still a bunch of losers.