Poll Would armed citizens have caught the Brazilian fugitive quicker?

choose up to two

• Yes, armed citizens would have apprehended him sooner.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No, armed citizens would have needed more than the two weeks it took law enforcement

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • killer potato salad

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 112.00
It took law enforcement two weeks to capture this illegal alien. (sorry, I'm not saying his name and hope I never hear it again).

The sprawling manhunt involved at least six law enforcement agencies, including the FBI, US Marshals and US Border Patrol. - BBC

Meanwhile, citizens were only "urged to be on the lookout, secure their homes and vehicles, and remain vigilant." Willing homeowners, citizens and vigilantes were strictly forbidden from participating in the search. (is that even lawful?)

Without turning this into a gun debate, I ask sincerely: if the tables were turned and law enforcement were kept out of it and instead citizens were tasked with apprehending this guy, would they have gotten him sooner than this morning, 14 days in?

It took law enforcement two weeks to capture this illegal alien. (sorry, I'm not saying his name and hope I never hear it again).

Meanwhile, citizens were only "urged to be on the lookout, secure their homes and vehicles, and remain vigilant." Willing homeowners, citizens and vigilantes were strictly forbidden from participating in the search. (is that even lawful?)

Without turning this into a gun debate, I ask sincerely: if the tables were turned and law enforcement were kept out of it and instead citizens were tasked with apprehending this guy, would they have gotten him sooner than this morning, 14 days in?
Citizens wound up giving him access to different clothing and a weapon. While I don't think the cops were "all over it" or whatever, what makes you think that a band of vigilantes would have fared better?

And I will put it this way, I believe that vigilantes would have likely killed the man, after he killed one or more of the people chasing him.

Probably.

The hangup on that, to me, is that he seemed to be avoiding conflict with the general public while on the lamb.

He obviously stole things. Food, cloths, a gun, etc. But he didn’t target the elderly or even attempt to take anything by force. (Which is weird. You can spot an old persons house easily)

If the public had been his adversary, I’m assuming he would’ve killed multiple people.

Also running the risk of accidentally killing innocents with an untrained posse.

I believe that vigilantes would have likely killed the man, after he killed one or more of the people chasing him.
Without a doubt. It would have turned into a lynch mob. It's what used to be a crime deterrent that got shit handled quickly and effectively instead of spending $300,000/day chasing an illegal alien double killer who is probably at this moment watching ESPN and planning his visit with his court-appointed advocate after a good night of sleep and medical care.

Have you seen some of these citizens? You want the weirdos of Walmart out there shooting at each other and at the cops?

Have you seen some of these citizens? You want the weirdos of Walmart out there shooting at each other and at the cops?
No, I want them catching killing a double-killer on the loose in their community who took six federal, state and local law enforcement agencies 14 fucking days to catch.

In my scenario, the cops are out of it and everyone in that perimeter is out to protect themselves and, if they wish, catch this murderous fugitive.

I'm guessing shit gets handled sooner than 14 days, and for the cost of a few rounds of ammo.

Let’s leave the police work and criminal catching to the professionals. I don’t want armed hick a doodles running around firing off weapons they aren’t trained to kill with.

No, I want them catching killing a double-killer on the loose in their community who took six federal, state and local law enforcement agencies 14 fucking days to catch.

In my scenario, the cops are out of it and everyone in that perimeter is out to protect themselves and, if they wish, catch this murderous fugitive.

I'm guessing shit gets handled sooner than 14 days, and for the cost of a few rounds of ammo.
There would be all kinds of bad shit that could result. Wrong people being shit, and idiot on idiot violence. I don't trust people enough. Secure your shit, sit on you roof with a gun if you want, but don't have anyone and everyone, that ever wanted to be a hero, running around with a license to shoot and ask questions after.

Last edited:
Let’s leave the police work and criminal catching to the professionals. I don’t want armed hick a doodles running around firing off weapons they aren’t trained to kill with.
- the dude who encourages one and all to come to Southlake and find out.

There would all kinds of bad shit that could result. Wrong people being shit, and idiot on idiot violence. I don't trust people enough. Secure your shit, sit on you roof with a gun if you want, but don't have anyone and everyone, that ever wanted to be a hero, running around with a license to shoot and ask questions after.
Okay, I thought I was more clear, maybe not.

My scenario includes everyone living inside that perimeter, no one else. They have an escaped killer on the loose and are free to apprehend the fugitive.

I say they get him in less than two weeks.

My scenario includes everyone living inside that perimeter, no one else. They have an escaped killer on the loose and are free to apprehend the fugitive.

It's probably less than two weeks, and it likely involves other people dying.

Didn't he steal a gun from one house, and get shot at (and missed) by a homeowner?

I only want 1 shitbag dead. Not a shit bag, and three innocent people, a cop, 2 dogs, or a homeless lookalike.

I get your point, but I don't trust people.

Would they possibly catch him sooner, maybe. Possibly.

Who are all these innocent people who’d be dying? Friendly fire or what? I don’t get it.

Last edited:
One did catch the fucker when his .22 LRF was stolen, but he was a bad shot.
He was just a shot.

Unless murderer guy stopped to try and take a shot with the rifle, that first shot from the handgun was prolly the only one with much of a chance.

in what way is another citizen legally allowed to apprehend and hold a person they believe to be this convict? Say they grab the wrong guy... that's false imprisonment, kidnapping, unlawful restraint, or even assault depending on how the person is caught and restrained.

Hell, even in the case they find the correct person, assaulting or detaining that person without personally being threatened is assault.

citizens aren't going to go through that marsh and shit that he was hiding in. and he would have been caught sooner if some idiot didn't leave his keys in a truck and it unlocked.